1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could the Rockets land PJ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, May 12, 2000.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If the Heat are embarassed by the Knicks again, Riley may finally decide to carry out with his threat of breaking up the team. Would the Rockets be able to somehow get PJ Brown?

Or work into a three way somehow?

Just a thought for now, somebody needs to turn off the power to my Dreamcast.

PJ is almost 7 feet tall.

------------------
    Cato is 7 feet tall.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I don't think Riley would part with Pearl Jam, he and Zo are the backbone of that team. We might be able to get "Thunder" Dan Malerje to replace Bullard though.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

zzzzzz....glghdfppft....zzzzzz...wha'....huh

PJs...I already have PJs

zzzzzzzzz

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes, I think PJ Carleisimo is available, if the Rockets are interested.

------------------
    "We're sitting there, shooting alcohol into our veins...

We could just drink it!"

-Tommy Lee

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Question is, do we want a 10 point, 7 rebound, 31 year-old, expensive veteran?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

6. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

nope! not at all....we've already goy KT and Cato with similar numbers and younger bodies.

------------------
    Dream's Team!

7. popeye

popeye Member

I can't believe you are mentioning KT and Cato in the same sentence as PJ. Dang! I just did too!!!!!

Well, my point is: PJ brings GAME to the Game,folks. He is very smart, great positional player, always gets the tough assignments, does a number of little things that do not have stats attached tp them and most importantly he is NOT a liability and so, never makes his team pay the penalty of his mistakes.

My choices as the best five PF's out there today (rated by overall court performance and not stats, and in my impression of what a Pf should do):

Karl Baloney ( A workhorse. Bar none.)
    Zo (I know, but he REALLY is a PF and not a center. Talk about elevating a team, Riley has needed a bonafide center for several years.)
    CW (Even without J Dub, he is a power to behold. His game is 300% of his eastern days.)
    PJ (He and Zo really need a healthy(sorry Tim, you are gone this summer) team to support their efforts.
    Natty Dred Grant ( Ya'll know how I feel about his play!)

[​IMG]

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Zo is not a PF.
    Zo has never been a PF
    Zo defends only centers
    Only centers defend Zo
    Zo is our Starting Center for this year's Dream Team

Zo IS 7 feet tall

and btw: Francis IS a PG

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

P.J. is a solid player. Much better than Cato or KT.

but he is 31, geez thats like a gezzer or sumthin. I would rather the Rocks get a post presence to grow with Francis, for a dynasty to evolve.

And PJ isnt quite 7 feet tall.

oh well.

Popeye, your statement on Webber should read: even WITH J Dubb ...

------------------
    Cato is 7 feet tall.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

popeye,

A list of the top 5 power forwards and it doesn't include Duncan or KG? What's up with that? Trying to talk down Duncan's price so we can sign and trade for him? Still considering KG as small forward (even though he started at PF all year)? You'd even have to put Rasheed Wallace on there before PJ or Grant.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 14, 2000).]

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Too many red-eyes from California, I guess [​IMG]
    Right pops?

p.s. shame on you for leaving Duncan off your list.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

12. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

aelliott, I agree with you about KG and Duncan. But if Mourning can be classified as a PF, then Duncan can just as easily be labelled a Center and Da Man (KG) a SF in Popeye's books.

Lately, I've been noticing that posters are frowning upon the Rockets acquiring anyone over the age of 26. A couple of years ago, we were regarded as the oldest, boringest and slowest team in the league. Now, we are the polar opposite. It would be wonderful for us to have twelve 23 year olds and see them mature and grow together towards a championship over the next decade. But unfortunately, this is professional basketball and that is not possible. We need veterans to tutor our young stars, provide some much needed leadership and ease their transition from young underdogs to championship contenders. After this season, Dream will be gone, TMass will likely not stay, and that would leave the Wizard as the only vet over 30 (just barely) to play substantial minutes (barring any line-up changes). In the threads of this very fine BBS during the early stages of the off-season, several potential free agents have been mentioned. Brian Grant? 28, too old. Jalen Rose? 27, too old. PJ Brown? 31, too old. They may not be around for 15 years like a McGrady or Lewis will be, but they are all either in or entering their primes and would be still walking around without canes in 4-5 years, when most of us invision our Rockets to be fighting for the title. We are going to have a lottery player in the draft as it is, combined with the fact that our best players this past season are all under 26 - I think signing players because they are too old shouldn't be a major concern. Its not like we are going to get a Kevin Willis or Dale Ellis. Great teams have the right blend of vets, youth and players in their prime. While it isn't wrong at all to go after young 20 year olds with potential, its equally not wrong to go after players in their late 20s and early 30s, who have proven themselves in this league, are in ther prime, and can guide our young stars to the promised land.

BTW, 'Zo is only 6"10".

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited May 14, 2000).]

13. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

Totally agree Azim!

------------------
    Dream's Team!