1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Houston be involved in GS Portland trade rumors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ckfol, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ckfol

ckfol Member

After reading the insider leaks regarding Damp + NVE for Sheed and filler, I think a third party must be involved in this trade because no way Portland will want NVE in their egomaniac lineup. My thought is one of the contending playoff teams lacking a pg might be involved as third party or possibly even a fourway trade if it gets really complicated. The big 5 all have solid pg, so cross them off. Memphis, Utah and Denver are definetly not interested. The lesser conference don't have any talent to offer, and the only team in the running is Seattle and possibly Houston. Seattle could be interested because they have flip, and barry(who's a free agent after the season) to land NVE + a big man in the middle. Houston is also an intriguing possibilty since NVE is a clutch outside shooter and decent ball handler and all the teams involved can swap talented big man. Possibilities:

Houston trades: Mobley + Cato + weatherspoon + Boki + trade exception + picks
    Houston Receives: NVE + Sheed

GS trades: NVE + Damp
    GS receives: Cato + Ruben Patterson + boki + trade exception + picks from houston (2 2nd round this year or 1st round 2006)

Portland trades: Sheed + Ruben Patterson
    Portland receives: Damp + Mobley + weatherspoon(Houston expiring contract)

Why Portland does this? Portland gets squeaky clean character players who can shoot as well as decent contracts and an expiring contract in Damp which could be resigned if they he works out well at the end of the season. Weatherspoon's contract would expire same time as stoudamires.

Why GS does this? GS want to clear cap to sign Kobe or rebuild once again. They really screwed up by not signing Gibert. Cato + Patterson would be insurance for Damp leaving.

Why Houston does this? Get huge talent upgrade at PF and land a clutch shooter and pg to play alongside Stevie once a while. Taking a huge risk that they might lose Sheed in the free agency + picks + gambling that NVE will be happy with a winning team like he did last year at Dallas.

This is a bit of stretch. But if CD pulls this off by pulling out his wallet and pay some luxury tax, he's a god. NVE + SHEED are battle tested playoff veterans which Rockets desperately needs.

2. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Nick Van Exel and Sheed are also the two biggest malcontents in the entire basketball world and you want both of them?? Sheed is a great player and actually a great teammate but his emotions clearly get the best of him. I'd love to have his ability on this team and maybe he will not get so emotional if he's the 3rd option on the team (he's seems to have gotten it together now that he gave the reigns to Randolph). He might be a risk worth taking.

But Van Exel is just not worth it. The Warriors have already exceeded expetations this season and Van Exel, after only two months, has already gotten into it with the coach. And this is Eric Mussleman, a guy who promotes offense. I cannot imagine how Van Exel will react in Van Gundy's every-possession-counts philosophy. Also, the only reason why Nick has not completely blown up is because he wants to get traded to a playoff team. I'm afraid to see what happens when he gets to one and still isn't happy. Besides, Nick is struggling nearly as bad as Stevie this year.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Pfffffffffffffffff

Nice try dude.

First of all, It sounds like like GS wants Sheed, if another team gets involved, why would Sheed go to that other team? If NVE is in the trade, it's probably because GS wants him since they are without a point guard who isn't high off his ass. You basically took the 2 main players and put them on our roster. Talk about homerism. Also, NVE is more of a shoot first PG than Steve will ever be.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If it goes down, it's a two teamer.

NVE & Dampier have player options for 2004-05. NVE is a TeamOpt for '05-06 while Dampier has an '05-06 contract should he excercise the 04-05 option. I can't imagine NVE & ED not taking the options...no one will pay them $11.8m and $8.1m respectively.

IMO, the attraction of NVE to the Blazers is that they can:

1) Not take the TOpt for '05-06 leaving plenty of money for Randolph and a major FA. They still maintain his Bird Rights and can offer NVE more than any other team

and

2) Obtain key players this summer using a package of Stoudamire and a SnT for Dale Davis who expires this summer.

Why GSW does it....

With NVE and ED, they have $42.7 committed for 2004-05. They can re-sign Wallace because they have his Bird Rights (and Sheed has a wife and 2 kids who may not want to venture far from POR) or they can SnT him, or they can let him walk and subtract Sheed's ~$17.m from the $42.7m committed.

No other teams are needed.

5. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but weatherspoon can't be traded in a multi-player trade before the dead line can he? Isn't there some 60 day trade restriction after a trade?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, the Rox add @9 mil insalaries in this deal, plus lose TE and picks? And the team still could not possibly move up in the West beyond 6th or likely beat any of the Top 5 in a play-off series?

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please, God, no.

8. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

So what's good about getting involved in a rumor? :confused:

9. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

man.....i hope not......that would be death to this franchise to bring in 2 head cases like NVE and Sheed........plus, i really wanna keep Boki.