1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Hack-A-Whoever slow down GSW when they're HOT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 22, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

I was thinking about one thing.

We know that Hack-a-Whoever strategy doesn't usually work if the player that's being hacked can shoot 55-60% from the free-throw line, since that translates into 1pt+ per posession which makes it an efficient offense.

However, when the Warriors get hot, they definitely surpass the 1 point per posession. Bogut aside, I was thinking that hacking guys like Ezeli (52% FTs) or even Iguodala (62%) could make a lot of sense, stopping Curry and Klay from getting hot.

Let's say that when they do get hot, they make 50% of their threes (which might even be a low percentage, since they can very well start shooting 60-70%+ from the long range). That makes their every three point attempt a 1.5 pt per possesion situation. You would have to shoot 75%+ from the free-throw line to be as good or betten that that. In a situation like this, even hacking Draymond Green (72%) or Leandro Barbosa (73%) would be marginally profitable plays.

What do you think?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets used it on Bogut and maybe iguodala a few times last year with ltitle to no success.

If you hacka Bogut they just go small, and really that makes it worse for you, as they've played their best basketball without him on the floor.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

This is an underrated thread.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You hack Bogut and they can respond by pulling him and putting the best lineup in the NBA on the floor: Steph, Klay, Iggy, Barnes, Green.

No thanks.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

When that lineup is out there go dmo ariza harden thornton bev, and post them up. Slow it down & post them up.

Idk why everyone tries to counteract by going small. Just go with the highest level of intangibles and skills

That GSW lineup has 3 playmakers, 4 excellent defenders, and 2 of the best shooters. It's not size, it's skill

6. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

They Would get destroyed on the boards

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

The best way to slow them down is through Curry's ankle. But we'll leave that to a team like Utah.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That lineup is scoring a crazy 1.55 PPP. If you did a hack-a-Iggy and he shot his season average from the line (62%) then they would only be scoring 1.24 PPP so theoretically, you'd be better.

The problem is that in order for it to work you still have to outscore GS while you are doing the hack strategy or you are still getting outscored. That means that you'd have to score at a clip higher than 1.24 which is tough against their defense. Overall, their defense is allowing 0.98 PPP but that small lineup is only allowing 0.85 PPP.

So, if everything played out to their seasonal averages, then you'd still be getting outscored but you wouldn't be outscored as badly as if you just played straight up. You would still be losing ground on the scoreboard though.

Interesting idea though. I guess if you had a lead, you could possibly benefit by using the strategy to slow down how quickly they erase the deficit but you'd be extending the game by continuously stopping the clock. Bottom line though, that's still a very good PPP so your lead would have to be really big or you'd have to be scoring at a good clip too.

As I said, it's an interesting idea. Nice out of the box thinking by the OP.What makes GS so tough isn't just their elite offense. It's the fact that they also have the #1 defense in the league to go with it. That makes it really difficult to simply outscore them in a shootout as you would normally do with high scoring teams

#8 aelliott, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. SamFisher

I was misremembering earlier - the Rockets DID use hack-I-guodala a bit when desperate in game 5, though it was inside of 2 minutes, for some reason the Warriors kept passing their worst FT shooter the ball - it was probably too little, too late.

Here are the results - it seems to have worked at least as far as putting him on the line, but the gap was too great.

Maybe they tried in a regular season game too? I dunno.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it's worth it in spurts, going after Bogut and Iggy, just to interrupt their rhythm. And ideally if you could save up your first handful of fouls, you could interrupt several fast breaks without sending them to the line.

I would definitely try hack-a but just in short surprising bursts. Maybe when they're getting hot.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup until someone figures out how to beat this lineup no one is beating the GSW in a 7 games series

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Right now any strategy at beating them should be up for discussion. They are a juggernaut...and it will be very hard to beat them 4 times in 7 games.

Unless Curry or Green go down for a prolonged period of time, there is very little chance that these guys are going to lose another title. We just have to hope that their ego's get the best of them, and they implode from within. But since they are really very unselfish when they play basketball, I doubt anything fazes them.

13. SamFisher

It's been hard to beat them 1 time in 26 games.

Barring injury or somebody figuring out their cheat code, they are going to go down as one of the top, dynastic teams in history, and will have a legitimate case for "greatest of all".

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

and realistically Iggy isn't even a bad ft shooter to warrant the hack strategy in a game to where it would be effective. he just doesn't get enough real time reps in a game because that's not how he plays anymore. So his %'s just seem to be lower what they are truly.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hope Pops tries that in the playoffs and GSW embarrasses the f!ck out of the Spurs. Then Lebron beats them straight-up with Love making it hard on their defense to go small *and* keep Green roaming free to help Iggy on Lebron like last year.

Remember, they didn't go small for extra ordinary amts of time, until game 4. They were down 2-1. Love will make it hard for that small line-up to give Iggy help.

16. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I believe the Cav's did this as well.

Also, Lebron's already shown how to slow them down. He used every single shot clock on offense, got a quality looks and stopped GS from playing efficient transition basketball.

I personally think Harden can do the same thing. It's not about getting easy buckets with this team or trying to play a quick tempo, It's about forcing them to play extended shot clocks I think.

17. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

If LeBron had Kyrie and/or Love, Cavs would have won the championship last year.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with the bolded part, which is also what Pops will try. But, I seriously doubt we can do that well. If it were so simple as for any team to try, GSW would have more than 1 loss. Our best ball is up-tempo started on the defensive end, just like GSW. And they are *much* better than us at it. We aren't good enough to play two styles.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What in the world makes you think Pop would try this in the playoffs against the Warriors? Just like everyone else, he knows the Warriors best lineup is without Bogut on the floor.

20. SamFisher

heh , all you have to do is have one of the single greatest players in the history of the planet play isolation on them for 40 minutes a game and hope they miss their jumpers on the other end...and you might win 2 out of 6 times....