1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Drew Bledsoe be the first quarterback for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by j-bone, Nov 26, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

Rumors have it that Bledsoe could possible the quarterback for the Texans next yesr. I don't know how much truth to that rumor but it sure would be nice. I heard Mclaine or whatever (the football analyst on fox sports extra) mention the possibility on Saturday. Also been hearing it throughout the league about Bledsoe playing elswhere next year with Brady being named the starter for the remainder of the season for the Patriots. What do you guys think about the possibility?

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I think he would be to expensive. In the offseason he signed a HUGE contract, which I believe was around 100 MILLION.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Texans have the cap room, lol. Is he worth the money ? Would the tExans have to give up their #1? If that's the case, then no.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Texans need EVERYTHING!! They're not trying to shoot for the Super Bowl in year 1-3...they can not afford to blow that much of their cap room on one player. This organization is going to develop...they're not going to draft expensive players on expansion draft day. But you're right...New England knows that and they'll certainly expose Bledsoe to the expansion draft.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think the Bears will get Bledsoe , He wants a ring , not a team .

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Bledsoe will end up on a veteran team. The Redskins are primed to suck him up. The bears would be a good fit. The Seahawks will be ready to roll with a vet next year. The Cowboys would be vastly improved. He'd be a great fit in KC if Trent were to step down.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

one of the stations said that if he was to be left unprotected in the expansion draft the texans have already said they weren't intersted.. but i dont know for sure if that is correct..

8. haven

haven Member

I've been wondering about this as well.

At first, I was against the idea of the Texans drafting Bledsoe.

Now I'm for it. There don't seem to be any "sure thing' college QB's this year. So draft Bledsoe, IF he'll agree to restructure his contract. Seems common enough in the NFL... and I think he'd rather start than get paid. It's worth a look, at least.

In any event, Bledsoe has talent... but he's had no O-line the last few years, and seems to have become sort of... static. He knew he was "the man," also knew his team didn't have the talent to win it all, and so he got a little complacent.

On a new team, I think he could turn it around.

9. j-bone

j-bone Member

haven, i agree with you. I think it will be great if we can get him because there is no standout QB in the draft and it would be nice to have a veteran to mold this new team. As for his contract they said it was worth $30 million with an option to sign an extension for the $100 million.

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Why would he want the life of an expansion franchise quarterback? Ask Archie Manning or Steve Buerlein or Tim Couch about the first 2 years or so. It is brutal.

Can they claim him in the expansion draft and trade him to one of those interested teams? THAT could be a bonanza.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

check the numbers: bledsoe is, and always has been, an average QB; the quintessential "only as good as the team around him" guy. he has zero mobility and turns the ball over a lot. he's also 29, so he'll be 33, 34 by the time casserly and company fields a competitive team around him.

picking up guys like bledsoe in hopes of building some "veteran core" is exactly what sunk the panthers' franchise -- five years after their SB run, it's one of the worst teams in the NFL with no visible light at the end of the tunnel. here's hoping capers learned his lesson.

and while there may not be any stud QB's coming out this year, the texans are looking at another high pick in 2003 with the very real possibility of both simms and manning being available, and i'd rather build around either one of them as opposed to bledsoe.

#11 Hey Now!, Nov 27, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2001
  12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Bledsoe has never impressed me as a qb. LOL, I'm surprised Mirer didn't exceed him in the pros. In a way, I think Drew is a rich man's version of Jeff George. A semi headcase, with an almost Elwayesque arm. Not smart, and certainly not mobile. There are at least 4 current college qb's taht will be better than him.

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

I've heard a few rumors regarding Bledsoe. One is that he will be traded to the Cowboys (God I hope not). Another is a trade to the Redskins. Then of coarse Bledsoe being exposed in the expansion draft. The Texans I think would be the best case if you ask me. If the Texans can pick up/draft some decent O-Linemen, and a couple of decent recievers then you have a very good chance to be at least as good as New England. Most of you are probably thinking "F" that, New England sucks. But for an expansion team having a record similar to the Pats wouldn't be bad at all. Also think about some of the players that may be exposed. From Dallas alone I've been hearing rumors that Joey Galloway may be exposed. Also believe it or not I've also heard that Jerry is considering exposing Emmitt.

14. haven

haven Member

Yep, that's pretty much my assessment of Bledsoe as well. Which means he'd probably be head and shoulders above anything else we could get.

The NFL is so damned inundated with parity that the Texans could well be competitive in 3 years. Which would mean Bledsoe might still be a decent QB for another 3 years... before they would begin the down slope of the cycle.

Seems like a good time frame to me. Obviously, if Houston sees a terrific prospect QB in the draft... take him. But I don't want the Texans to be one of the 20 or so NFL franchises with a QB worse than Bledsoe.

Bledsoe's got an accurate arm. Give him some good receivers, and he'll win some games.

15. Major

Major Member

If Bledsoe and Terrell Davis are left exposed in the draft, and Terry Glenn is released and signs with the Texans, we could use some of our first five picks on O-Lineman and have a pretty good offense pretty quickly (of course, it would be an expensive and injury-prone one!) :)

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Drew Bledsoe = icky poo.

I hope the Texans don't try to get him.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

At this point in Bledsoes career I dont see him wanting to play for an expansion team, and coupled with the fact that he is to expensive I do not see this as a good fit. I see him going to the Cowboys becuase I think Jerry Jones is one of the only guys {besides Snyder} who can foot the bill for the kind of money he will command.

18. Hey Now!

these players are being exposed for a reason. and i think it would be next-to impossible to trade bledsoe because of his contract.

none of the players listed in this thread are worth the money. terrell davis was a great back, now he's injured far more often than productive; emmitt smith is about to lap his prime he's so far passed it, joey galloway is stealing money from jerry jones and terry glenn, shana? what, was rae carruth not available?

as for bledsoe, for likely 1/8 the cost, we could get similiar numbers from a guy like trent dilfer. and i think a guy like dilfer would be a great mentor for whatever QB we do decide to build around. bledsoe's not a bad guy, but i also don't think he'd sit well with being the eventual odd man out.

the absolute worst thing the texans could ever do is build a team around a core of past-their-prime, overpaid veterans. i can't even bring myself to argue this it's so blatant. it'd be enough to make you wish jerry jones was in charge of personnel.

19. haven

haven Member

I don't think we should.

But Bledsoe is 29, and many QB's are productive into their mid-late 30's. I'm not a big Dilfer fan: his claim to fame is that he's better than Tony Banks. ANY qb should have been able to win with that defense and a RB like Jamal Lewis.

Smith? Davis? Of course not. But Terry Glenn is still a very productive receiver when he's playing. yes, it's possible that he'll remain an insurgent for the rest of his career. But then, that's why Randy Moss went so low in the draft. I'd rather take a chance while he's cheap than miss out entirely. Sometimes, these guys end up being Isaiah Rider... other times, Paul Pierce.

I don't think the Texans should take the Carolina approach. But there are guys in the middle of their primes that are available, for one reason or another. To commit to youth so fully that the Texans pass up on these steals, imo, is folly.

20. Hey Now!

bledsoe's 29 right now. he'll be 30 in february. if houston's able to build as quickly as cleveland (and they'll have the same stocking plan), he'll be 33 by the time we're competitive with two years of pounding added to his frame (ask tim couch how much pounding you take in years 1 and 2 with an expansion team). by then, i think bledsoe will be done and a waste of money.

well, first of all, terry glenn is not, nor has he ever been randy moss. secondly, glenn is a selfish punk, a gen-u-wine cancer. the pats are making a run for the playoffs, and glenn is pretneding his hamstring hurts because he wants more money. nice.

they're not steals -- you have to absorb their full contract. and bledsoe's prime was five years ago -- he's never been that good since and even when he was good, it wasn't like there was a lot of canton talk centered around him. he's been a servicable NFL QB, but nowhere near worth the $108M he got last year.

and i have no problem with houston signing or drafting still productive players, even if they're older or make a good deal of money; but i've yet to see a viable one listed in this or other threads. the guys you're talking about (you, in the general sense) are left unprotected for a reason.