1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I see nothing that Arkansas can offer that he doesn't already have here. The conference you are in is not as important in basketball as it is in Football. As long as you make the tournament you can win a championship. Much easier path here and less pressure here and more fertile recruiting grounds here.

DoitDickau likes this.
  2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I get that Houston has some real advantages, but Arkansas is still a bigger, richer school with a bigger, nicer arena, sexier schedule, and sweeter TV deal, and it always will be. And if it's not Arkansas, it's somebody else. If he keeps winning, eventually Texas comes calling or maybe the ****ing Lakers, as soon as next year—who knows. I hope he stays and I won't be shocked if he does, but I'm not placing any wagers.

3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I could see an NBA offer with his son taking over the reigns here. I would prefer all the talk AFTER the tournament is over. Nothing but a distraction until. We are in the final 16. Something we have not done in 35 years. I don't know who the knucklehead is that stirred up all this crap but his timing for us could not be worse and his motivation I am sure is for his or her self and could give a rats ass how it affects those of us that are pulling for our team to pull off the unthinkable and beat all these powerhouses that he or she considers out of our league. I hope we prove them all wrong.

King1 likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Coaching turnover is a never ending problem at UH. It’s a real ****ing shame that this is going on right now though. The timing really sucks.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Everyone can blame the media for constantly bringing it up. It would already be understood once the season was over that locking up Sampson would come into play. That’s just common sense. But that’s the price you pay when your program reaches top tier status after being rock bottom for years and is getting as much attention as it is right now. Everyone knows Sampson loves it here but it really is going to come down to whether or not he feels he is going to get compensated for what he’s done to the level he wants. This year, he basically holds all the keys and leverage compared to everything previously.

cdrive likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Game ****ing on.

cdrive likes this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

8. the shark

the shark Member

Tomstro, please accept my apology, even though we disagree on this subject I came off too harsh. We're both Coogs at the end of the day.

Go Coogs!

BruceAndre and Madmanmetz like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Reading between the lines, it sounded like Nantz has to pay out whenever another member of the broadcast team mentions Houston on the air.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gameday! Lets go Coogs

the shark likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cougars fight for dear ole U of H
    For our Alma mater cheer ...rah.rah..rah..
    Fight for Houston University for victory is near.
    When the going gets a rough and tough
    We never worry
    Cause we've got that stuff
    So, fight, fight..fight for red and white,
    And we'll go on to victory!

Eat em up!

Kentucky is the next to fall.

the shark, YOLO and Madmanmetz like this.
  12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

About 12 hours away, and can't wait... This was the opportunity I wanted this team to get. I just wanted to see the Coogs play their style versus one of the perennial top schools. Kentucky fits the bill perfectly. I hope PJ plays and the Coogs pull off the victory to cement their success on the national stage.

the shark, Jake Tower, Easy and 2 others like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Down19, Joshfast, BruceAndre and 4 others like this.
  14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I propose if UH advances to Elite Eight, the site be renamed CoogFans.net for the remainder of the tourney.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

RE Sampson: I think the fact that he is 64 (he looks good for that age :)) would tend to be a reason he stays, along with all the other reasons others have cited.

Usually, when UH loses a successful sports coach, it's some young gun looking for The Next Big Thing.

So, hopefully Sampson decides to make UH basketball The Next (or New) Big Thing.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Game starts at 9 pm? That's my bedtime! :rolleyes:

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Tom Herman is the only coach who fits this criteria, I think. Briles was in his 50's at UH, right?

Stros start at 6, should be over right around tipoff. All Htown sports, all night.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't even right now.

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

What about Sumlin? He had to be pretty young. And 50 is young dagnabit! :D

20. Buck Turgidson

Oh yeah, forgot about that guy.