1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cost of living in San Diego, CA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I don't know about SD vs. LA vs. SF. All I know is that, scenically, and weather-wise, California is the best state I've ever been to, bar none. It doesn't mean that someone can't favor Texas and that some aspects of Texas aren't pretty. It's just that... well, I have a buddy that always posts pictures of Austin where he lives and says comments like "Doesn't get any prettier than this." And my response every time is, "Yes, because you still haven't been to California." Very much a personal opinion, but as I was able to drive to CA, I drove from SD through LA and up to Salinas, then San Jose and San Francisco and the wine country. On the way back, through the middle in places like Fresno and Bakersfield, and then those rolling hills you come to in SE CA before you get to Primm, NV at the border.

Favorite state scenically by far. Will probably move somewhere between SD and LA in a few years, now that my son has graduated college.

2. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

JUST MOVE !!! even if its for 1-3 years you can always come back to houston in that field

Life is about experiences, you're single its cool to try something new, dont want to look back saying remember when I could've lived in California

me and the wife made $120K in Houston moved to the Bay area SAN JOSE last year making $230K now, it was the best decision ever.

every weekend is like vacation can go to NAPA 1.5 hours drink wine at best wineries in the USA, go to sacremnto, go to the CITY SF 50mins, got to beach santa cruz 45mins, road trip to LA or Malibu 4 hours, go hiking anytime 10mins

we plan to move to move back to houston only because we can afford a home here and to be closer to family again, but it will easy be the best 2 years of my life

3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

and San diego is cheaper than LA, and the Bay area to rent but jobs tend to pay on the lower side there, you will make a killing in bayarea but most APTS start at $2,500 min that are decent, SF 3,000 min

4. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

oh and sold my NEW truck $550 payment, drive my paid off work car here... I love Northern California best weather ever

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure why you would single Pacific Palisades out as one of the best parts of LA. It is lovely, but not necessarily the place to be in LA as far as night life, restaurants, comedy, work, or much that LA has to offer. The area is fine, and I have nothing against it, but it isn't the one place in LA I would hold up as the best thing about Los Angeles.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The cost of dying in San Diego is substantial not only because you are dead, but because of the opportunity cost you wasted watching the Padres.

IBTL likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps contained within your comment we could tour the town and you could show me taco stand after mural after location and it would be interesting no doubt. I get it La is vast and has some spots.

I could give you places in LA ive been. Admittedly more west side.

Some right in the mix like the spot on bundy I was holed up in. Bundy turns out to be where OJ killed nicole.

But I spent some extended time in pacific palisades and can see the charm of it...top down billy crystal out walking his dog. i get it.. but a neighborhood nothing more.

So yes concession here is pockets are nice and can be said for zilions of places in california. There is no disputing overall california is a gem of it own.

Back to which is better and we are drawn back to beaches, atmosphere, and weather.

Truth is LA peaked in early 80's with a strong showing 1950- 1990.

At this point today san diego has become nicer better and place to be because it is what santa monica, venice, USED to be. Those places have lots and lots of runned down

Its not anyones fault but to note it hasnt aged well. Everything was built pre 85. Well most of it lol

San diego is better by attrition and default of the run down ness in La. Thats ultimately for me why. And the pretentiousness in La. La people are like dallas people.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't trying to say that you should love LA, or hate LA. I don't mind you having a bad feeling about Los Angeles. I just wasn't sure why the one area you mentioned as alright was the Pacific Palisades. I believe it is fine, and I actually believe that there are fun and fine parts to be found in almost every area of Los Angeles but much of the city wouldn't fall into the positive rating. It's just if I had to pick one area to exemplify Los Angeles that isn't the one I would have picked.

I will agree with you that LA peaked in the 80's, and it still has that 80's feel to a lot of it, which for me is probably the city's best quality. I love that aspect of it. I love San Diego and would be very happy living there.

My final belief is that Los Angeles has both more negatives and positives than San Diego. It's just larger and has more to it. That is both good and bad. So for the right price, San Diego could be near ideal living. And you can be slightly more isolated away from the negatives there in that price. In LA you will almost always be exposed to the negatives regardless, but there are just so many positives that I fully enjoy it as well.

IBTL likes this.
  9. Exiled

Exiled Member

you can rent a nice townhouse below 2800$ in San Diego >>>ocean air

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't get the bacon cause I had bacon in the morning, but I got the burger and onion rings.

[​IMG]

11. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, you ****ed up.. But not really. You're a good man, and thorough.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You seem concerned about choosing pacific palisades. It was a random nice neighbor hood mention. Same way i can say west u or memorial.

Anyway we agree 99.9 here.

Not to bag on it but La :
    Feels unsafe at all times. Maybe ive played gta too much but compared to san diego where i would leave my door unlocked not even close. La would feel way better if i wasnt thinkiing i was about to get jacked. Santa monica pier was downright scary. Same for venice beach. Back when jim morrison was around i can dig but this was...well. Scary.

Run down. La is run down as mfer.

Its true I was working in ' city of industry' so not fair to rate it but geez it was bad.

Then add to that the pretentiousness of La with you as lone exception. You seem like a good guy too.

Lakers fans are the worsr too btw.

Almost as intolerable as cowboy fans