1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cost of 100% testing is less than economic cost of no work

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is that all these other countries can do it, but not the US?

Pathetic. Or as your Trump man would say, SAD!

malakas likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I hear what your saying but it's just hard to take a coked-out Mike Tyson seriously.

IBTL likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

There are 5 parts-
    1) attention focus at risk / elderly - complete protocol / best practice
    2) test
    3) isolate - geo tag
    4) triage
    5) ventilate

initially from anywhere / everywhere.
    Ultimately a mass produced version. An on the spot swab / wipe is not rocket science.

Couldn't some of that trillion cover it? Isnt this a purdy way for kushner or similar to $ cash in? The test doesnt need to be expensive. Korea is at 7 mins per test drive thru. Retrofit chickfila or that Carl's jr you used to go to. You telling me Korea is better more on their game?maybe so but we can do it too. Cmonn

Not sure if serious but I will tell you that i get billed plenty by my insurance every paycheck and if its 15k I would like for that to be covered. I would pay the 500 deductible or whatever it is but I would ask to deduct that on taxes and as a government im sure they can work to get the insurance guys good and that 15k isnt really 15k. In fact out of that trillion maybe we can get the grubby guys at metlife and united healthcare good. I cab sense your concern.

I think uninsured shouldnt have to pay the 15k and ultimately i pay extra for other health services separate of this so homeless and uninsured shouldnt have to pay for something that is no fault of their own as this virus is.

Separately I would nt be opposed to an income based one time payment to irs hopefully not to exceed $1000 per household that covers universal testing/ antibody testing too( if you had it or not) for 100% of usa population.
    Would you? Isnt that cost less than not working? Seems pretty straight. Instead lets just let needless people die and knock on wood you don't have a fall from your computer chair or a kidney stone good luck getting through that now. How this isn't tied to big picture is baffling here folks.

How many tests has usa done?

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Dude the night is still young

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

the priority given to covid is insane, bone marrow transplant is suspended now , which means a given patient will take additional 4-5 more chemotherapies and goes through cycle immune suppressed, because now days it's an elective procedure

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Since it's that kind of time, I'll read IBTL's posts in my mind with Iron Mike's voice.

IBTL and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Coth uff wun-hundeth pissent testhing is lesth dan ecconamic coth uff no work

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. Senator

Senator Member

It's a little disconcerting when a medical professional as yourself couldn't read a very to the point and fact driven article.

It doesn't matter if 60 trillion was sent towards providing it, the ventilators and tests cannot appear out of thin air. This is a situation of time and resources the US cannot generate overnight. They're already using every possible NOW situation, like replacement fans from F-150's and other heavily available items, to be a part of these ventilators, but the supply isn't infinite and the factories domestically are not calibrated to have this process streamlined. It takes many months just to set up a factory to be able to produce PROFESSIONAL level goods that can seamlessly fit together. And with expensive labor costs, you guessed it, most has been sourced overseas.

This is what gives the far east countries the advantage, not because they have more "heart". With the crisis in Italy and Spain after China's curve slightly flattened, a lot of resources had already been promised to them before they could start on anything from the US.

Beds and space are a different story. The US mobilized, had the resources and now have enough to handle the increase of cases.

But complex medical equipment? Raw materials needed for swab tests?

To summarize - not a money thing. Not a lack of heart thing. Not a lack of extra overnight shifts. A logistical impossibility given how far down the first wave the US was and their distance from the actual manufacturing facilities and raw resources, which were already heavily based in the far east and germany.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cancer-covid19-1.5512599

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It wasnt a revelation 40 days ago and isn't now

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a revelation and we should've done it then. The problem is it might be too late for testing and contract tracing to control this. The virus is already too wide spread. We have more than a million people that we know of who already have it and chances are that it's much much more widespread than we think. Testing is important to know really what scale this is but it is going to be very difficult to contact tracing with quarantine to control this now. If we're quarantining millions it basically will look like what we currently have and we'll still be seeing protest from those positive but asymptomatic demanding their right to go out. We already had that as one of the leaders of the NC protest was positive yet still went and protested.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you sound like @Senator 40 days ago.. as the clock ticks.. Even though we pay taxes I would pay into a fund . out of paycheck one timer (like if only there was some kind of payroll tax) or one time something to get this testing done for ALL. A few week campaign around testing, geo tagging and isolate.

Or we can go the f**ck it route and just let it ride. woo hoo!!

You have it? I don't know...do i? Ummm wear a mask? woo hoo!

The part that REALLY concerns me is after multiple now 14 day cycles and here we are todays date how are people still getting it in mitigated areas?

What is that then? Is this virus that strongly contagious? scary!

maybe we can test and know who has it? Or maybe no and we all continue to hold here woo hoo

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is 40 days I absolutely thought testing was necessary. I still do because we need to know how wide spread this actually is. The problem I see is that we know that the virus is very widespread already. Things like contact tracing work when the numbers are still small and manageable. We're probably well past that already.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't test and I would certainly contribute to get more testing but testing, isolating people who test positive and then track the people they interact with is going to be very very difficult when we are in the millions infected.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How much is testing for all Americans?

Great but who pays for it???

Probably TRILLIONS if Bernie mentions it.

Too expensive! Get back to work slackers!

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Senator

Senator Member

Don't hate the facts -

https://apnews.com/bf685dcf52125be54e030834ab7062a8

DHS report: China hid virus’ severity to hoard supplies

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Talking about costs. It is expensive to treat people in the hospital through the various stages until death on a ventilator. It is also expensive to train new people when experienced people die. Expensive to pay out on insurance policies. Expensive to put folks on welfare and food stamps when the breadwinner dies. So even if you just look at it as it lost lives versus cost it could be naive to just assume that it is more expensive to socially distance or quarantine than opening up

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm all for massive testing. Here in Texas there has been little testing done. Abbott is doing what he's doing "on faith" as much as anything. I prefer science.

RayRay10 likes this.