1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cortisone shots/acupuncture question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreat, Apr 7, 2018.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

have a tendon sheath tear and was wondering if i should accept a cortisone shot into the sheath.

will it help a lot and solve the issue to avoid surgery? how about acupuncture?

need advice please and thanks.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont know anything about the tear but from talking to people who have gotten them, what I do know is that cortisone shot is only temporary. Itll help with the pain and itll go away for a while but it will come back and youll need another one.

3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

so does acupuncture help solve the issue in terms of regenerating/healing the sheath/tears? doesnt cortisone reduce inflammation which causes improper healing?

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Beyond my scope. Sorry. I thought acupuncture was more for nerves though.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

cortisone with 30g injection is comparable to acupuncture needle in size, it can give you a solid 60% better chance of avoiding surgery, not sure about acupuncture effectiveness to reduce inflammation

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Take the cortisone shot if the doctor is recommending it. Inflammation is the biggest cause of further damage after an injury. Do you want to reduce the swelling as much as possible.

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Acupuncture is good for anti inflammatory aspects too right?

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have no experience with acupuncture. I only know of a few people that did it for back pain and it did not help them.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I had a cortisone shot for shoulder tendinitis a few years ago. Most painful shot I ever had (but pain only lasted a few minutes). I still had the shoulder pain a few months later even with PT. Finally went away after continuing PT for an extra month or two.

I had very painful plantar fasciitis. Never got a shot, but did get acupuncture. Acupuncture and a foot brace fixed me right up after a couple of months.

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

how many acupuncture treatment you get?

11. bobrek

Perhaps 8. Relatively pain free. A couple of times there was a short burst of irritation.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh man is it ever!!

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

do you remember noticing slight improvement after a couple of acupuncture treatments? i might just book it and hope for the best.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most of what I've seen from acupuncture is about blocking pain receptors which can be as effective as drugs in terms of reducing pain. Anything bonus is based upon your belief system and what you make of it

CCity Zero and bobrek like this.
  15. bobrek

Yes...my foot was feeling a bit better. Getting the night brace was the icing on the cake. It certainly wasn't a waste of time getting the acupuncture.

For my shoulder, being faithful to the PT was the key. It was so bad, it was difficult to reach out the car window the put a card into an ATM.

My other shoulder had a similar problem but not quite as bad as the first. I did no cortisone shot with that one. Just did the PT. The discomfort went away in a similar amount of time. I can't say for sure, but I think the cortisone shot along with the PT helped the range of motion in my left shoulder a bit quicker than just the PT helped the range of motion in my right.

TheGreat likes this.
  16. bobrek

I guess I have been fortunate in life, because that PF was about the most painful thing I went through for a period of time. Funny thing was, a lot of times I was still able to get a 4-5 mile run in. IF I could get through the first mile, I could usually make it for 45-60 minutes.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

thanks glad youre feeling better. I hope i can recover from this injury as well!

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I have no cartilage in my right hip and was in extreme pain back in 2015 from a previous injury about 2 years prior to that. I got the shot and have been pain free since. Doctor said everyone is different. Some need regular shots every few months or so while others don’t. My hip ocassionaly locks after laying or sitting down too long but it feels way better than before. I went from not being able to walk to nearly pain free.

PS

I did try one acupuncture treatment but was too impatient with the amount of pain I was having. I needed immediate results.

PSS Shot wasn’t painful as they put me under when I got it.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

How'd you end up with no cartilage? My left hip JFC, I can't lay on that side to sleep without lots of pain...

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I guess too much running, wear and tear. Running on pavement was the biggest thing I would guess.