1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Correct English, Grammar Thread #902443

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't see any problem with that but then again, I started the thread. :D You could reword it to say "I am going to find Charlie's location." or something similar.

I have been told that punctuation is always included within quotation marks.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Yes. You can end any sentence with a verb. Example: "Do you? Yes, you do." "I work." "I don't know where my watch is."

:cool: And, if you meant the QUOTATION MARKS instead of parenthesis, then you properly used them. Just think of what belongs together.

Not when the question mark belongs with the sentence the writer is quoting. :eek:

3. Lil Pun

Sorry, I'm confused. Example please.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, oops, I meant quotation marks. I'll edit and look like a champ now.

5. SwoLy-D

:eek: Like this:

When you said "Can you give me an example?", the question mark was inside the quotes because it's part of the question.

Now, if I quote someone when asking a question, my question mark goes outside the quotation marks and the inside quote retains its punctuation.

Does anyone know who said "give me liberty or give me death!"?

Now, in a question or a quote, do you understand where to place the "question mark" and "exclamation point"? ;)

6. Lil Pun

Yeah, I see it now. What are you, an English professor or something? ;)

7. SwoLy-D

No. Soy un mexicano que aprendió a escribir y a hablar bien el inglés desde pequeño. ;)

Use http://world.altavista.com to translate that.

8. Lil Pun

I actually know Spanish, well I'm not totally fluent but I can understand a lot of writing and speaking if it is done at a slower pace. ;)

SwoLy-D likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

bump.

so is it really necessary to say "actress" for a female? i was under the impression that the word actor applies for both genders.
    because logically, it doesn't make sense on many other "-or" nouns like facilitatress or presentress or debatress.

On a similar note, the word "chairman" also applies to both genders ya?

SwoLy-D likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Let's just page our resident grammar know it all @SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Most common: Youre a.....

You're - You are

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

most common on CF? . . . you're

a moron
    an idiot
    a doubter
    a nuthugger

needs a poll and deserves its own thread. :cool:

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess Youre a keyboard warrior or sjw is so underused around here.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I always call them a bar tendress.

Jontro likes this.
  15. SwoLy-D

If you're speaking in the specific detail of it being a female that acts, YES, you use "actress."

If you are not sure or if both male and female are referred by the word, then it is "actor."

For example, if you were to ask both genders, in a group, about a type of actor, you'd ask: "What type of actor would you be if..." using "actor" so they both can answer. If in the group there are only females, you ask "What type of actress would you be if...", etc. Now, if there are only males, then you'd ask "What type of actor...?" and so on.

Easily, you must know if you have males or females, or if you don't, you make the question towards the group (actors).

By contrast, there is a "chairwoman", a "chairman", or "chairs" for plural. "Chairperson" is also one you can use.

I hope that makes it clear, @Jontro. :cool: I am answering to the best of my knowledge. Let me know if it makes sense.

NOPE. :) We're not writing like this. It's 10 years now.

CCity Zero and Jontro like this.
  16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone else find it annoying when people use the word loose instead of lose?

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yes!!! but I just ignore it. I mean I know I'm not Captain Grammar either, but man... lose/loose, come on guys :)

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

thanks senior @SwoLy-D

it makes sense. someone once told me that the word actress is a newer term coined since the feminist movement (i don't even know when that is) and that the term actor should suffice for both genders.

re chairman:
    the organizations i work for has many subcommittees and working groups chaired by different people. in one of them, chaired by a woman, i was specifically asked to address her by chairwoman in documents and letters. then she moved on and another woman took the position and got offended when i addressed her as chairwoman in documents, emails and letters. she said to use chair. women....

SwoLy-D likes this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, this is correct. Generally, when you see brackets in a quote, it is often in this situation: a portion of the quote is being used that did not start a sentence, and so would not be capitalized, but, when quoted (say, after a comma), must be changed. So, let me make something up:

"The world has returned from the brink of disaster but we must remain vigilant against external forces returning us to an untenable position."

Let's say you wanted to quote a part of this only. Let's pretend we are quoting ROXTXIA magazine (which, btw, has NO Rockets insider information).

According to ROXTXIA Magazine, "[W]e must remain vigilant against external forces returning us to an untenable position."

The "w" in the original quote was small because it was part of the sentence, not the beginning. When I cite it, I just want that part of the sentence, so I used brackets to show that something was changed from the original.

Another instance of using parentheses is when you're filling in information that is not part of the actual quote but is giving it context to make sense. Sometimes this will involve changing a pronoun to the actual name, because the reader might be saying, "'He'? 'He', who?"

It is understood by the writer and hopefully the reader that nothing is being invented, of course.