1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa placed on disabled list

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bullshit. I’ve not backed off anything. You have a hard time reading. That’s on you not me.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Explain what exactly you think my stance is. There’s literally nothing egregious about it. Unless you are stupid.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You are basically criticizing Correa for not being one of the 20 greatest players in baseball history before turning 24. It's such a preposterous criticism to make of somebody. Why even bother making it?

He's just a run of mill future hall of famer and under performing expectations should never, ever go together.

BigM and Tomstro like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

You continue to completely gloss over the fact that in 2 of Correa's 3 seasons he missed 1/3 of the games (he still got a few MVP points though). Players do not get serious MVP consideration when they miss that much time (I'm sure there are exceptions if you looked hard enough). Bringing Ripken into the convo again, in his '83 MVP season George Brett led the AL in OPS+ on a team that finished 4 games under .500 but he missed 39 games and didn't receive a single vote point for MVP.

All you really had to say was that Correa hasn't stayed healthy enough to have a chance to garner serious MVP consideration and that his 1 (of 3) full season was his worst statistically and the team's as well.

King1 and Tomstro like this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Also, in addition to your backing off, your painfully labored attempt at condescension as a means to sound intelligent failed miserably. In the future, when you want to be taken seriously, I doubt I can help.

marks0223 likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, this is posted on the Correa to the DL thread. Which is sort of topical to discuss things like- Correa seems so far like he might be sort of injury prone (but the back is the first injury I'm actually concerned with as potentially affecting his future), wonder how that's going to play into the idea (and it wasn't just my idea but literally all over the internet on sites everywhere- especially in light of his representation) of him getting the biggest FA deal ever when he turns 26 or 27.
    AROD shattered the old market for contracts with his 10/250 deal that was a 30 or 40 percent jump higher than any other contract. Correa was set to be a FA shortstop at about the same time as AROD and similarly people were wondering if he was going to shatter existing contract records. People (beyond just me) have also spoken about Correa being on a track at his age, skill level, body and the like to be an all time great. 2 or 3 years ago that's certainly a possible ceiling for him. Now? Probably looks like a less likely event.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I did not and have not backed off of anything. My argument has always been exactly the same:
    Correa is great.
    At one time I thought Correa might be an all timer and sign one of the richest contracts ever
    Things aren't trending that way for Correa right now
    Correa has had no season where he's played like an MVP, as is evidenced by him receiving zero consideration for the actual MVP award. Period. Full stop.

8. Buck Turgidson

Please do.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I really wonder what is driving this sort of ass-backwards thinking... to the point that you continue to be insistent on this non-argument that you're basically having with yourself.

Correa is trending to be a future HOFer... but he's not trending to be one of the greatest HOFers that ever lived... do you honestly listen to yourself and think you're making sense of anything?

BigM and Tomstro like this.
  10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Today, is Bregman a better all around player than Correa?

If you had to choose one to build a team around, do you pick Alex or Carlos?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think Bregman is better right now. But i also think that may change. Correas injuries are a factor. I think correa has the higher ceiling.

CisBuds4U, BigM and Nimo like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Correa is actually younger than Bregman. Last season his numbers were better than Bregman's are this season and Correa also had a better postseason.

I would still pretty confidently take Correa, but Bregman is making it a actual discussion worth having. He's on pace to go over 30 HR, and that's a power level I didn't think he could reach, while I've always thought Correa could be around 40 pretty easily once he hits his power prime. Otherwise I think the 2 are pretty close in most of their other abilities, and Bregman has stayed healthy.

Bregman is probably as good a SS defensively as Correa, so I'm not gonna hold it against him for being forced to 3rd.

#112 sealclubber1016, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    CisBuds4U and Nimo like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

BBS currently down on Correa and Tucker... get those posts in now so they can be brought up later with much embarrassment.

BigM likes this.
  14. Screaming Fist

I'm skeptical of the claim that Bregman is as good of an SS as Correa. Correa has a better UZR/150 over his career at SS than Bregman has at 3B over his career even though SS is much harder to play than 3B. Obviously the sample for Bregman at 3B is still pretty small, but the gap between him and Correa (factoring in the position adjustment) is significant.

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Bregman has really grown in his disciplined approach to the plate and appears to love the big stage and thrives on the big stage. Bregman is currently having the breakout season a lot were expecting Correa to have especially with Correa expressing he wanted to be in MVP consideration this year. I think the comparisons with Arod hurt Correa because he will likely never live up to that type of player. It' also a concern that Correa in injured often. Correa is still crucial to this team's overall success and is missed but Bregman is the better, more reliable player currently imo.

#115 roxallways, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    CisBuds4U likes this.
  16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Bregman, Correa, Altuve, Springer

Who gives a damn which is better, all are stars, and all are Astros!

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Altuve, Springer, Correa, Bregman.

18. AkeemOlaDROwon

Altuve Bregman Correa Springer = ABC’S

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All 4 have struggled and all 4 have thrived and what is great , all 4 have thrived on the "Big Stage". I believe that Correa has a chance to be the best of the 4 but it probably will not be this year.

BigM likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Correa was arguably the MVP front runner before he got hurt last season. He also was great in the postseason. We weren’t waiting for a breakout season from him, he’s already broken out. He’s been down pre injury this season but it’s certainly within the realm of possibility that he tears it up the last 50 or so games. It’s also possible that he just has a down year and then comes back and wins MVP next year. Baseball is like that.

Injuries aside, Correa has more upside and has thus far been better than Bregman. I’m not sure who I would pick but love that we have both and that’s all that really matters.

bigdaddy likes this.