1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coroner Is Said to Rule James Brady’s Death a Homicide, 33 Years After a Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Was Brady death a homicide?

1. Yes

23.1%
  2. No

76.9%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/us/james-brady-s-death-ruled-a-homicide-police-say.html?_r=0

It surprises me as it is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Lmao. No. This is just an example of the State holding a grudge. You don't **** with the State. If you do, and you seemingly get away with it, even 33 years later, they'll remember. Sort of silly if you ask me.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How would a statute of limitations apply here? It may have truly been the cause of death but does that mean that Hinckley can be charged? That would just be a waste of money to try him...

5. Bandwagoner

How could it be the cause of death? Was Reagan assassinated?

Can we get some common sense in here? The guy was 73.

6. giddyup

Brady was shot in the head.... in the first place. Reagan lived to age 93.

7. Bandwagoner

Some people die at 53 some at 113. Some people die after being shot in the gut. If Gabrielle Giffords dies in 2037 will that be homicide?

Wait, never mind all of that. Are you seriously saying this was a homicide?

8. giddyup

NO, as your article pointed up, the chief Medical Examiner for Northern Virginia is though. I can understand the thinking because Mr. Brady had a catastrophic injury which affected bodily function which could have led to a slow demise. They haven't been very detailed, have they?

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought the victim has to die within one year for the charge to be upgraded to murder? But my source is cop shows and CSI. :)

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with that is that in most jurisdictions, there is no statute of limitations for murder so technically he could be charged, but I HIGHLY doubt the state would win that case and it would be a huge waste of money to try to win it like you said.

11. Buck Turgidson

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I'm not sure why this really matters to us. It may have a bearing on his family's insurance/pension type claims. Hinkley will never be tried for this, as he will never leave prison as it is.

12. Bandwagoner

No his corpse was used for political purposes. He was sliced and diced so his anti-gun agenda team could make some nonsense point. They don't autopsy old people who die in homes for fun. His family threw him in a home and had this brilliant plan.

13. Buck Turgidson

Sadly, I don't think the US is short on gun murders/crimes/situations that could be used for whatever political purpose. Not sure why they need this one.

I just don't see the big deal.

14. Bandwagoner

I would say it shows the lunacy of the Brady group. Not a big deal as they have been exposed time and time again. But it is a nice look behind the curtain.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know enough about the medical findings behind Brady's death or the law here to feel confident saying either way but I agree trying Hinckley now is a waste of time.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If the autopsy shows that Brady died from something caused by the gunshot wound, then I don't see why it couldn't be ruled a murder. Some people die at the moment the get shot, others die days or weeks later. Maybe some people die many years later from a gunshot wound.

If he developed a blood clot because of the old gunshot wound and then died from that blood clot, I can see where it could be considered a murder. Why not?

Whether he dies hours, days, or years after being shot. If he died because of the gunshot, then I would say it's murder.

17. Bandwagoner

So was it homicide? I'm just trying to get through the BS and see how far people are willing to stretch reality.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the bullet he took directly led to his eventual death, then yes, it is a homicide. If the coroner can make a judgement that based on all other medical evidence, that Brady would still be alive had he not been shot, then yes, it is a homicide.

19. Bandwagoner

So you think that it is possible to come to that conclusion? 33 years have passed. There are way too many probabilities at play.

Feel free to vote in the poll.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since I am not a coroner, I am not qualified to answer that question, but I'll trust the coroner's judgement. Why bother voting in the poll? I have made my opinion known.