1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Corey Brewer's contract non-guaranteed next year?!?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

"Corey Brewer's contract is non-guaranteed for 2016-17 but guaranteed for 2017-18. So, if Houston decides to keep him around this year, it has to keep him around for two. He is slated to make $15.2 million over both seasons."

Bleacher Report article.

If this is true that would be huge for the Rockets.

Can anyone verify? Bima?

Why would they report that if it wasn't? I know it BR. But still lol

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

according to hoopshype he's guaranteed all 4 years. but if op is true then rockets can get rid of the whole jb-brewer love connection, instead of just one half. better not be screwing around op. we got some irritated and impatient fans

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I read that article. Super weird they would say that. Have never heard this anywhere else before so assuming its BS.

Sports journalism is so poor these days. Anyone can write anything they want and won't be held accountable.

4. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Please be true.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I've have saw before that his contract was not guaranteed on spotrac[dot]com, but I honestly ignored it because I didn't see anything about it anywhere. I'm sure the person who wrote the article from bleacher report saw the same thing and used it as his/her source. I don't blame him/her, but at the same time he/she should have done more research.

I usually go to spotrac for a quick reference guide for contracts, but I wouldn't hold any stock in Brewer's contract not being guaranteed. No way he signs that unless he was absolutely positive he would outplay the money when he signed it. No way his agent lets him sign it either way. Has to be guaranteed.

6. Mister Beard

Mister Beard Member

Can any insider comment on this? It does seem like a Daryl Morey move, but I am amazed at how it went under the radar like that.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That is complete and utter bunk. Corey Brewer's contract is fully guaranteed for next season and for 2017-18.

8. ibm

ibm Member

ah,,, why do i have to hear a piece of bad news b4 i head out for a tennis match on a beautiful sunday morning...

:(

:p

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lol. How in the f*** would it be unguaranteed for next year but completely guaranteed for the year after? That makes no sense, and I'm gonna go ahead and say there has never been an NBA contract where one of the middle seasons is unguaranteed.

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Zero percent chance.. He would never have signed a contract like that.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If you cut him this summer, you have to take him back next summer, good contract. :)

12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Do not give me false hope.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The bleacher report has gotten better but I still think it's crap.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Unless Brewer starts playing better the Rockets will be stuck with him for awhile. Best chance to get rid of Brewer is in combination with Dwight if he opts out or in with a sign and trade package taking in other contracts.

15. RocketRed4life

April fools article posted late perhaps?

16. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I've noticed that too. One the multi-year view it shows that next year is not guaranteed:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/yearly/cap/

But on the individual contract page, it shows that all years are guaranteed:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/corey-brewer/

so in this case spotrac actually contradicts itself...

17. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Or early?

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

They were just confused.

Brewer gave up an option when we originally acquired him right? Sounds like they were confusing their stories....

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Brewer's contract is fully guaranteed, but is pretty team friendly as it decreases every year. When we resigned him, I thought we overpayed a little but the way Brewer has been playing this season has really made it difficult to even try to defend that contract. It probably the worst contract we have on this team, since there is still 3 years on it.

Bev's contract is the one that is not guaranteed his last season. His also decreases every year, if I'm not mistaken or dips for next year then gets a slight raise the next. I thought we might have overpaid a little for him, given the inconsistent 3 point shot and the injuries but he has been pretty well worth it, in my opinion.