1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord Cutting for business

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 29, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is there any service out there where you can get a business/financial news channel without having a tv subscription?

We have a tv in the lobby and that's it, tired of paying for a cable subscription when it sits on CNN all day.

Was hoping we could get a firestick or a roku or something and stream CNN, Foxbusiness, bloomerg, SOMETHING without paying for a full cable subscription.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Amazon Fire has Bloomberg and other news channels.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Live?

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If you have cable at home, those App channels just require you to login under your Xfinity to activate it. I haven't tried with news channels, but it works for sports apps WatchESPN and FSGo. It just goes to a "We will be back shortly" screen for commercials.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Roku definitely has a live feed for Bloomberg, I switch to that and mute it if I'm ever doing a phone interview on a comp day.

If Roku has a live feed for Bloomberg, you can probably assume Amazon Fire does and then just compare cost and convenience. Roku you can get at Best Buy but I think I paid $100 or so, and I have no idea how many TVs you can get it on.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

As you are operating a legit business, there are no "free" solutions I would recommend.

Your most economical option is Playstation Vue for $29.95 or Sling TV for $25.00. Playstation VU is a bit more expensive but people seem to like that a lot more. Playstation Vue gives you up to 5 streams from the same IP address.

For a not so legal option, you can sling the channel from home. Or stream it from a pirate site. Or if you have satellite, have a dish installed at the business and bring a receiver from home.

This was assuming CNN. Bloomberg is available on Roku and Fire. I would recommend Roku 3 over the Fire.

If you do go with Roku 3, keep in mind it has a Wi-Fi direct alternative with no security. Its not a security issue with your network, but people with the right software (or Galaxy phone) can automatically push their phone screen to Roku 3 and interrupt the programming.

#6 Space Ghost, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sling tv has bloomberg

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You can live stream Bloomberg directly from their website. Just use a $25 Chromecast and you can play it on your tv all day.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Can SlingTV and Vue be legally used in a business setting viewed by the public?

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Didn't check Sling, but according to the TOS for Vue no you can't.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Winner IMO.

Theres also CBSNews and ABCNews that stream live.

#11 donkeypunch, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah on the options of mirroring the receptionists computer

If Apple, get Apple TV
    If Windows, get Chromecast stick

Then it is very easy to display any browser tab you want over the TV. This has the added benefit of allowing Androids and iPhone's/iPads to use the TV as a monitor.

13. heypartner

Question: when ppl say Bloomberg comes with Roku/Amazon, are you saying it is packaged free. Or does it just have a free trial and subscription later, like what AppleTV does with the Tennis Channel (for example)

If it isn't free, then Apple TV 4 now comes with App Store, so you can install any of these major apps and then subscribe to the content provider

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No subscription of any kind on Roku, I think as an ad-based network they don't need to charge for a live feed.

15. heypartner

Then fwiw: It's likely free on Apple TV 4 as well, from the App Store.