1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cord cutting]Directv now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 21, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Thought about it. I really wish they had ROOT. I am curious to know why they do not carry it even though it says in the top right corner of the screen that it is owned by AT&T, which owns DirecTV. As soon as ROOT is on there I will get it.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My experience has been suboptimal - lag times, random errors, lack of NFL games.

But for $35/mo and the free Apple TV, it's worth giving it a shot. Also if you commute, being able to stream unlimited on AT&T network is nice.

That said, I'm keeping my Comcast for now and use the DTV Now when on the train.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I got it for 3 months so I can get the apple tv.

I wish ROOTS was a channel though. Was hoping to watch the rockets games.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The moment ROOT is added to a streaming package, then I'll cut the cord. Unfortunately, until then, I will continue to be a sucker.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I saw on Reddit that none none of the Root Sports channels or on DirecTV Now at the moment, but there's plans to add them soon. So that, along with Root's absence on Vue and Sling, there has to be something in their contracts or capabilities that's making it impossible at the moment. There's no way that the leadership at Root and AT&T would be dense enough to deny the inevitable, right?

As a Vue user, I'm looking back on the Comcast Sports Net and Fox Sports SW days and wishing they were still here. Because the areas where those channels broadcast local sports, Vue streams them.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think that there must be something against streaming in the team broadcast agreements. Hopefully they'll amend soon to capitalize on this growing new way of watching "cable" tv.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Live local sports is one of the only draws left for cable, they are in no rush to give it away on cheap packages that will kill their cable subscriptions.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'd tend to agree, except that Fox and Comcast are already on board and streaming their content.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Had about it for 2 weeks, good so far, loads up faster than Sling, their OnDemand catalog is fine. Just wish they had Roku support from the start, but been working fine with Chromecast.

I can say it's better than Sling but haven't tried PS Vue yet. $35/month offer is killer, and just did the prepaid 1 month for the free Amazon Firestick

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yep, its pretty good. More channels for the price then either Sling or PSView. If you want a cloud DVR then PSView is the right deal. Spend 35 a month plus an antenna and you will find you have plenty of channels. I frequently use my antenna to watch tv because the picture is superior to anything you can possibly get on cable or broadband. Also, I pick up about 60 channels on my antenna.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm ok paying $100/month for my dish package, which includes these channels and more, and 3 boxes with great guide and dvd'ing capabilities, etc.
    Then I can also stream all the channels through tier app.

I appreciate that $35 is meaningfully cheaper, but I'm happy to pay for the experience I get without cord-cutting.
    I think if I fully cord-cutter via a package like this (or others), ultimately I'd end up just watching a fair amount less tv.... at least until the streaming quality/service matched that of the set-top boxes. And not just lag or stream quality, but a quality and fast guide, easy ability to switch channels and have those channels switch fast, to go to previous channel, etc. Heck, even a remote... call me old school, but I don't want to use my phone as a remote if I'm streaming on a tv.

The dish app works well. I can play anything I've dvr'd, live tv, on demand stuff. But it's still not close to the current experience.

13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Same here with comcast. After some complaining, i got my bill to $130 for cable and internet. The app works pretty well to stream. I only use it during lunch at work but no complaints. Bring able to set recordings when not at home is good. As much as I hate dealing with comcast, i will put up with them until a cord cutting option comes that covers everything.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya cord cutting sucks when it comes to the convenience factor of a DVR/Remote etc.

I liked having U-Verse. I am trying out Directv now for 3 months. We will see if I go back to getting cable.

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

overall directv's been jacking up their prices ever since AT&T took over, just recently left them.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

For how long though? Several years ago I started off with a similar package and now it's a at almost 300 per month for basically the same stuff. I'm leaving them very soon.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ive been at this level for a while. way past intro offer. caveat being ill add on sports packages here or there that shoot it up. i don't do any movie packages.
    i think i was at 69.99 for my intro deal 2.5 years ago.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So, people whove had Directv now for an extended period of time- What is the consensus of quality and service?

19. MystikArkitect

I'm on Vue now just cut DirecTV. Too many random charges and upgrades to stuff I never ordered. Felt like I was calling every other month to cancel some subscription I had no idea I got signed up for. NFL League Pass was one.

Still a bit buggy and running it off of a PS3 but won't be going back to subscription based TV.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You were getting random charges and subscriptions from Directv now or Directv?