1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A surprising amount are fat and lazy and even more reports are coming out of them shooting innocent, unarmed people. Do you think this out of shape incompetence comes from those are the types of people attracted to this profession or does the institution breed it?

For example I heard a statistic that the further one commutes the higher likely hood they will be a bloater. Perhaps that explains all of the porky police officers?

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

the best and brightest in our society don't become cops, which is scary considering the power we are giving these individuals. becoming a cop is often a last resort for people. cops need to have higher standards in who they hire, but since our best and brightest don't become cops there would be a significant shortage. also that amount of unchecked power is a breeding ground for corruption.

#2 fallenphoenix, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to say it is more about eating habits. I alway see 10 cars at Chik-Fil-A or McDonalds.

Some time around 38, my metabolism started to slow down. I was eating the same unhealthy diet I'd always eaten, but I started to put on weight. One day, I looked in the mirror and realized something needed to change with my diet or I was going to balloon.

My guess is these guys look in the mirror and basically say, "F it!" and keep right on eating like they are 18 years old. The key to being not fat.. is that you actually have to care enough about not bring fat to do something about it.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My retired fireman friend wrote this on his facebook wall recently.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The US is 36% obese

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

In Houston anyway, it sounds like the obese cop problem is too much overtime. They've got no time to eat and exercise!

8. rudan

rudan Member

Plus, lots of donut places give free donuts to cops!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Free Food
    Sedentary job - [sitting in car, sitting behind desk, sitting at restuarant, etc]
    Lack of Commitment [varys cop to cop] aka Laziness

Rocket River

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Taxi drivers are usually not too fat. Must be something else going on??

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are immigrants

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cops hustle a lot when it comes to getting work. Most are working on and off duty 12 hours or more a day. That doesn't leave much time to work out.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I care less about what they look like, and more about what they do.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

One may impact the other
    or
    be an indicator of a behaviors

If they fat . . know they cannot outrun a person . . maybe the shot the guy instead
    maybe Lazy in life = lazy in the job

Rocket River

15. Classic

Classic Member

Being fat (obese), in my experience, is a sign of one or more of the following:

• being uneducated
    • poor work habits/lazy
    • lack of focus/discipline
    • NGAF (not givin a ****)
    • addiction/self indulgence issue

People's lives on the line with guns in hand and you really want the most clear minded and rational person making that call. Problem is to be a cop, you've prolly got a screw lose cuz it's risky and low paying. Add being fat and you have a lose screw + who knows what else going on in there.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I once ran into a group of cops at a Dunkin Donuts in Chicago. I was drunk, so I started making jokes about cops and donuts. That didn't go over too well...

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very interesting point. I don't know if there's a documented case of a very fat cop blazing away at someone simply because he was too fat to chase him, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has happened at some point in the past. What would surprise me is if it's documented. I can't imagine a small town in the South wanting the publicity, or even caring, say, in a rural Alabama town steeped in racism in the 1950's.

Good grief, ATW! Good thing you didn't do this in Houston in the 1960's, when the police chief, Herman Short, was a card carrying member of the KKK and worked very hard to fill the HPD ranks with like minded fellows.

18. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

Lazy and not giving a crap has deadly consequences. They also might know they are huge useless disgusting bloaters that would lose easily in a fight unless they outnumber the guy 10 to 1 so therefore choose to fire indiscriminately.

How much paid leave and overtime do they get after shooting someone?

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jayzus Christ, Casey. I hope you're trolling like you normally do.

They are fatter above the national average of ~32%, but the on the work requirements, hazards, and stress are above what a normal American faces in their careers, like a good percentage working the night shift and the things they see from time to time.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2012/07/13532.html

There's a difference between outright hating the police and raising issues that are legit concerns and could be addressed over time.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

They are 9 in the 10 most stressful jobs ranked by forbes which is highly subjective but compared to other stressful jobs their fitness and abilities seem extremely low. #1 was active military personnel. Airline pilot aren't generally fat, they have crazy hours, travel and huge stress.

I am genuinely interested if this job ATTRACTS or BREEDS these type of people. You are saying the institution makes normal people into bloaters. I can't mount a concrete argument against that. I just want more discussion.

#20 Bandwagoner, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014