1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cool Story Bro] Spoke to Mad Max today....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave2000, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

In the light of the lockout and slow month to start of, here's an interesting encounter with a former player and longtime fan of the team, I give you.....

My Life, with Mad Max (thanks Kam)

As some know, I work at a place where I have talk to random people on a regular basis, and for those who know where I work, I'm trying to keep it discreet since I don't want this thread to show up in a random search....

Call came in, an account showed up with a familiar name, but in a state nobody would guess he was in. At this point, I tried to build rapport to see if it was our hero of the mid 90's. I got to the point to bring up weather where he was located, and mentioned it in 100s he was at and brought up, "I'm in the same boat here in Houston". His reply? "Oh, I used to live in Sugarland!".

Hmmm, got me curious, did a quick Google search on my phone, last thing I found on him was his arrest in FL back in '09. Later on the conversation, I brought up Sugarland again and asked what part of Sugarland he stayed at. He went on to spill the beans that he "played for the Rockets and was on the first Championship team". At this point, put my call on mute and the jaw dropped....

Anybody can say it was him, but he sounded the same he did 17 years ago, just an older voice. As big as fans as we were, we just know if we are talking to him or not.

I wanted to talk more basketball with him but our calls are recorded and wanted to be as professional as possible. Cool guy to talk to, apologized that he "wasn't tech savy" and kept showing his appreciate for my "patience" in working with him.

In the end of the call I wanted to talk, get more out of him, but ended the call with saying it was a pleasure to speaking him.

Who knew a simple call could make this fan's day.....

5 people like this.
  2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Did you fap after you hung up??

jk

3. Dave2000

<-------- doesn't say Tinman

1 person likes this.
  4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Phone records or didn't happen.

5. DreamRoxCoogFan

pics or it didn't happen :p

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tinman would have talked to him for two hours about the championship years and be willing to lose his job for it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dave2000

sadly, i thought the same

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Very cool Dave... I can only hope that someday I get someone as cool calling me at the call center ;)

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong,
    I would have talked about ALL THE YEARs. the game where he dropped 30 in a quarter. The duels with Jordan.

and it would have been more than 2 hours cause Max is also a Tupac fan, maybe we could have figured out who killed him and save hip hop.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

was the hold music this when he called?

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LyaNlZaVOpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

I didn't say you would only talk about the 'ships. I said two hours of your time would be spent talking about them. :p

12. tinman

Supporting Member

This is the best thread of the entire off season. it's not even close.

people can pretend if they are going to sign this guy or that guy, but this is real. Dave2000 didn't have to share this with anyone, but he decided to speak about his encounter and spread goodness in all this evil. he chose truth instead of lies.

13. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

your acting like vernon maxwell is michael jordan or something. i bet i can go to some dark alley in houston right now and see vernon maxwell shooting dice on some street corner with the local thugs, or getting std's at some ghetto hood night club somewhere.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Vernon is a champion, and I bet he could have interesting conversations with Jordan, another champion, about the old days. You never knew which Max was going to show up at a game back then, but if we were playing the Bulls, the Max you wanted was usually there. Jordan did not have a happy time playing against him.

Those other comments are just mean.

Cool story, Dave2000!

15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Don't believe you, no pictures =P

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, surely you got his phone number. I know where you work,,,give me the phone number...or else.

17. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Man the same thing happend to me twice last week!!!! Max is cool.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My best Tech Support Call . . .was an On Site visit.
    I walk into this lady's APT to fix her computer.
    She is a semi-attractive older lady [I was like 30 and put her in her 40s]

Notice this guy laying on the couch. . . .and I mean the whole d*mn couch.
    He was more leaning.
    His feet was on the floor at one end and his head was on the top pillows at the other end.
    He was an bit older gentleman. [Thinking late 50s to 60s]

IT WAS THIS GUY [​IMG]!!!!

You might remember him like this [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocket River

19. tested911

tested911 Member

Who new Dave worked in a Call Center in India... Or maybe the Philippines :)

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dave,

If you log tickets for the calls, you got his phone number. Hook up the board so we can all call him!

I'm sure he'll appreciate us all calling..... :)