1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Controversy averted: Chris Paul voted in over Jeremy Lin in 2013 All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Second_Cousin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Once again, not a single thing you said would discredit anything I've said :confused:

Do you think I was serious in saying Lance Armstrong and Manti Te'o were going to pen letters to Jeremy Lin?

2. just a word

just a word Member

TBH I think it would be a controversy just because the spin-machines and PR want something, ANYTHING, to detract attention from the doping and fake girlfriend.

Also, how does Lin get selected for the skills competition? Is it a vote among coaches or...?

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Oh boy. Here come the butthurt LOFs.

1 person likes this.
  4. roxxy

roxxy Member

I figured as much. To be frank that is very much so a joke in poor taste. Take Lin out of the situation somebody would have to do something incredibly dastardly to even be compared to what Lance & Teo did.

When you joked about this I immediately thought back to what Royce said when he compared his issues with the Rockets to the Newton shooting. That was just as egregious of a comparison.

5. Gil

Gil Member

Worse fanbase, Beliebers or LOF's?

1 person likes this.
  6. CCM721

CCM721 Member

20 6-7 year old Children were killed in the Newtown shooting and thats just as egregious a comparison? Are you out of your mind? And if Lin was voted in over Chris Paul that would be the biggest controversy in the basketball world.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL you are absolutely right. I can just imagine Oprah interviewing Lin about the All Star Games in the same vain she interviewed Lance. And i can also see the Rockets releasing a press statement saying that Jeremy has been a victim of a terrible hoax.

And I don't know how he would get selected into the skills competition that is a great question. Like I have said before I haven't watched the ASG in years so I can't really remember how things work.

8. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Clutch was not comparing the morality of voting Lin into the ASG to what T'eo and Lance what did. He simply said the resulting controversy would be on a similiar scale.

1 person likes this.
  9. adamzee

adamzee Member

i'd say your talent evaluation ability was discredited a long time ago. one of many examples: lin dropping 38 again when he was actually allowed to run the offense. nothing wrong with that though. and you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

10. adamzee

adamzee Member

see above, along with numerous other examples.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Then it completely sailed over your head.

12. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Dropping 38 points once doesn't make him worth a 25 million dollar contract. He's been average at best most of the year.

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

It's one thing to say you disagree with his assessment of Lin but how in the world do you get from that to his talent valuation ability was discredited a long time ago? By who?

14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

is the starting 5 official already?

griffin over duncan? are you serious?

disrespect

15. ERC

ERC Member

You can agree with Clutch, I disagree on this issue. No right or wrong.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

A controversy where some guy doped & lied about it for years & another guy made up a girl friend & said she died for whatever reason would be of a similar scale as the NBA All Star Games? Really. You don't think that is a tad bit sensationalistic/hyperbolic?

17. adamzee

adamzee Member

i don't have a problem with lin receives fair criticism. i rarely criticize any player, though i'll gladly criticize idiotic coaching decisions. mchale is an expert in this category, as most here would agree.

i'll also gladly criticize the rampant "lin only haters", who have been caught plenty of times creating secondary accounts to troll one particular player :grin::grin::grin: much in part due to racism.

along with those not intelligent enough to acknowledge lin was essentially ordered to stand in a corner and defer from the start of the season.

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I think this is the best case scenario. Enough votes to show enormous fan support, not enough for Lin to actually have to dress up for the game. It was a close call though, if Lin was with a bigger market team he might have got voted in. Phew!

Hopefully Stern/Rockets won't make him go to some stupid skill competition or throw the ball to a Rockets at a dunk contest. Kid probably would rather spend a few days with his family.

So 80% of the West starters are with LA; and the 10 starters are from 5 teams only. lol... talk about superteams...

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not at all actually.

I'm well aware Lin scored 38 points in a game before the Rockets signed him and that he did that this year as well. He's averaging 12.

You're twisting my view to be that Lin sucked. Not the case at all... but you and I both know your goal is to make yourself a martyr here (as if I haven't seen this routine before).

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am happy that it did. Cause my interpretation of it was highly uncomplimentary.