1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Contractor took money and ran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Nov 4, 2017.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

We hired a contractor to build a covered roof for our patio sometime in mid august. We put half down the day he came to finalize the plan and he was supposed to start working on it with his crew a few days later. Well than Harvey came and so it got delayed. Even with that it took about an extra month for my HOA to approve my application so I finally got approval to proceed in Mid October.

Well since than this contractor has scheduled me about 3 times and fail to show up all 3 times. So for example he would say he would come to start on it Tuesday. Tuesday would come and around 6pm he still never showed up so I contacted him and he would say he got tied up and couldn't make it. He never fully commits either to a date, he'll say something like "Yes Wed is probable or likely" This happened about 3 times now and I finally said enough, it's been 3 weeks that this has been going on. I sent him a message and asked for my down payment back, this was yesterday (Friday) and I've gotten no response (today is Saturday night) even though he's read the message. (Facebook says it's been seen)

From the meetings I had with him he seems professional and honest, I"m not sure why he's putting this job off the way he is.

Has anyone dealt with this before when hiring a contractor and what should I do next to either get this guy to do the work I paid him to do or get my downpayment back? I have a work release form from him that he emailed when I first gave him the money too showing the full price, description of the work and that I've put half the money down.

#1 tmac2k8, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry but you got scammed.
    You will have to go the legal route and hope to scare him into paying you back. You can get a lawyer to draft a letter to them but I doubt you will get a response. You can also take him to small claims court and try that route. It will take a lot of time and effort and more money to get anything back, and it's still not a guarantee. Even if you do get a reply from them do not have them do any work.

It sucks and it's a tough lesson learned, but you lost that money.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How much was that down payment?

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Can we all at CF start reviewing him based on the information above and hopefully that gives the contractor a kick up the ass.

People react hella quick when their social media is taking a hit.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

It’s the weekend, wait until Monday.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

that jerk is probably living it up somewhere in hawaii with his new porsche. i say we publicly shame him.

Sooty likes this.
  7. body slam

body slam Member

^^^this^^^

To the op good luck finding a contractor who shows up on time. From my experiences if they say they will be there in two week it will be a good month before they show up.

I really don't think you should have posted a link to their face book page.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

9. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

If the down payment is only $500, He took the job before Harvey. More than likely you are a low priority for him, Due to the hurricane he has work coming in that is much more lucrative to him. This doesn't excuse him not giving you the $500 back or responding. I bet he will gladly return your funds to free himself of your patio cover to focus on the bigger jobs that pay his bills.

Sooty and Richie_Rich like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty common occurrence to be honest.

FWIW, don't pay a contractor up front.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

does the bp stand for bullpoop?

btw can a company sue you for posting bad things about their company online, whether true or not?