1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Contacts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Aug 11, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm at work, getting ready to hit happy hour and my contacts are KILLING ME! I've been wearing contacts for about 2 years(hated glasses) and they have to come somewhere close to the same level as Chinese water torture on some days.

I guess what I am wanting to know is has anyone had the laser surgery or known of anyone that has? What do you think about it?

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I know a lady that had vision correction surgery before they did it with lazers and said it was a very painless thing and worked great...and all the doctors say lazer treatment is much better..sooo...if you got the cash, go for it.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Pimp

I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. But, I think it also has to do with either being nearsighted or farsighted. From what I understand, you can only do the lazer correction if you are nearsighted. Doesn't work on farsightedness. Something to do with enlarging the pupil on nearsighted people. If your farsighted, you have to reduce the size of the pupil.

Thats what I understand.

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My wife had it done 8 years ago when it wasn't laser surgery but radial caritonomy with a knife!!! Ouch! I actually watched the procedure - glad I don't wear glasses.

She said it is the best thing she ever did for herself. Her sight is nearly perfect and no glasses. She couldn't wear contacts because she had very dry eyes so she was stuck with glasses and she didn't care for them.

I do also know another person who had the laser version and loves the results. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you can't afford the surgery, disposable lenses I've found are much better than daily wear. I use the same pair for 2 weeks, then discard them. I don't even really clean them really, just throw them in some solution. Disposables are much better on my eyes, I've discovered. You can also order more and change pairs daily if you'd like.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Acually,

Mc Mark is correct (from what i was told too) that only one can be correct. I believe it was only nearsighted too. (whichever is the most common vision problem) One eye of mine is near, and the other is far, so the doctor basically said I was SOL about wearing contact/glasses.

Also from what i understand, there is not a guarenteed improvement. Nobody's vision has worsen from a sucessful operation. But also, you can get better than 20-20. just depends on the person.

------------------
    ...out with the old, in with the new...

7. brahma

brahma Member

my freind works for the police but she had to get that corrective surgery on her eyes to join and she said it was painless.i wear contacts and they havnt hurt me before so maybe its the sloution you are using or maybe it is your contacts.

------------------

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I hate contact too. Sometimes I cant even keep my eyes open they burn so much. I think u can get laser surgery for near and far sightedness. I know a few people who have gotten Lasik done and they said it was painless as it could be. If u are in Houston, why dont u look up that Dr. Charlie Moore's number. He is supposed to be one of the best in the country and they offer a free evaulation. I'm personally going to get it done next year.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

9. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Ok someone explain to me which was is near sighted and which one is farsighted. I always mix both of them up and end up confused. I'm currently thinking about getting glasses because I can't read stuff that's far away. Would I be nearsighted?

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

10. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

mc mark & Space Ghost
    I believe the technology has advanced where now they can handle far-sightedness. I remember hearing on 610AM (The Bench) where John G. says that they (I believe he is refering to the same guy that R0ckets03 is referring to, Charlie Moore) can fix near-sightedness as well as far-sightedness. At first I thought I heard it wrong, but John repeated it the 2nd time by saying something along the line of "Yes, for you far-sighted people too".

"...One eye of mine is near, and the other is far..." Space Ghost, I thought I was the only weird one. [​IMG] I thought about getting my farsighted one done because I was born with it (weird huh?!) and is very bad, but I think I will wait a few more years when they have more experience with far-sighted procedures.

Rockets R' Us, if you can't see things at a distance, chances are you are far-sighted (most people are). You better get your eyes checked before they get worse. Get it checked before the season starts. [​IMG]

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Moonbus,

"if you can't see things at a distance, chances are you are far-sighted"

I think its the other way around. I'm farsighted. So I can see things very well at a distance. Its close up where I have the problem.

Nearsighted people can see close up but have a problem with distance.

------------------

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

That is incorrect. A near-sighted person can only see close up. A far-sighted person can only see far away.

I was incredibly near-sighted. I was a -10 diopter in one eye, and a -11 in the other. I don't know if you know what that means, but I literally could not see as far away as two feet in front of me. Okay, technically I could see, but it was incredibly blurry. I had the laser surgery about two years ago and I am now 20/20 (in both eyes) with no problems or complications. The surgery I has was excemer laser, the one before lasic(sp?) came out. Best damn thing I ever did.

Also, try those Refresh Tears. All they are is a lubricating drop with no meds in them at all. There is no anti-redness stuff in them like in Visine or Ocu-Clear, and they are not addictive so you can use them as often as you need to.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited August 14, 2000).]

13. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Dohhhhhhh!!!!
    That's what I meant! Damn keyboard! [​IMG]

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Concerning those Refresh Tears...I love those things. I would get head aches because my eyes would be so dry from staring at a computer screen all day. They were a god-send to me. They're over-the-counter and you can get them at any pharmacy.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ive worn glasses/contacts for almost my entire life but Im not going to jump straight into the corrective surgery pool quite yet. I have seen and heard all the wonderful results already and my girlfriends mom is getting it done in a week or two, but I am still going to be somewhat skeptical for a while. Why? Well, I want to see some longterm results first, then Ill get it done. Even with some of the older kinds of surgeries (before lasik) there arent really many many longterm results yet. IT is like those women who were given drgus in the 60's during pregnancy and then like 30 years later their kids first started to have problems.

Now that Ive said that, I would say, if your contacts/glasses are really really bothering you a lot, go ahead and do it. There are a lot of people doing it and if any longterm problems crop up, which they shouldnt, they will probably fix it due to the large number of people getting the usrgery done. I'm waiting cause I really dont mind wearing contacts and actually like wearing glasses sometimes as it provides a new/different look for my face. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!