1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Constant pursuit of flexibility— How we lost our chance to contend

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by splendidchen, Jul 14, 2014.

1. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

After Yao’s injury and eventual retirement, Daryl Morey has been one of the biggest reasons why I continue to be enthusiastic about our team’s future through the years of mediocrity. With a maths/physics background I really like the analytics revolution that he leads the basketball world. But over the past year I am deeply disappointed over his moves (or lack of moves) that I am motivated enough to spend a couple of hours posting my thoughts and criticisms here.

You guys may think, this is just another knee-jerk reaction. We were just out of luck. With a little bit of luck we could have a big-four lineup and a championship-favorite team. I wouldn’t completely dismiss this notion, but filling the entire bench with 2nd-round rookies and veteran minimum isn’t necessarily the best outcome either. My problem with DM’s approach in the past year is that we took unnecessary risks for a very modest return. Namely, a shot at a maxed-out Bosh isn’t worth wasting the golden year for expanding payroll in the first place.

Due to the NBA salary constraints, building a championship team is mostly about having players outperforming contracts. Superstars are foundations to a team because they vastly outperform their contracts and such an outperformance does not expire with their current contract terms. The Chandler Parsons’ contracts are great assets but they have an expiration date. A championship team would typically operate with a payroll at (or above) the Luxury Tax level and still has many outperforming contracts.

Les, like a typical NBA owner, can afford a team that operates around the Luxury Tax line, but we had to go much lower, below the Salary Cap, because you can only sign Max free agents with cap space. When we were lucky enough to land Dwight Howard last summer, we had a team of extremely promising future. Immense optimism of our team arises from the fact that we were already fielding an arguably TOP 5 team in the NBA on "YEAR 0" of the Howard/Harden era with a payroll only JUST reaching the salary cap! We have two superstars in Howard and Harden (superstars outperform their MAX contracts), two very good players (Parsons and Beverly) on pennies signed for the next two years, a top defensive C in Asik on a good-valued contract. Lin’s contract wasn’t a positive but still pretty fairly-valued. We also have 2nd-year players TJones and DMo with very minimum salary and good potential.

So what was the problem and how do you improve from there? 1) Our team was not built to be the best fit on court. i.e. It’s hard to play Asik for more than 12 minutes a game. So you need to trade assets for better fit on your roster. 2) Our payroll was simply not large enough for a championship team. Even full of outperformers, playing a $60M payroll against other contenders at $80M is simply unfair. This is the unavoidable “YEAR 0” situation when you use cap space to sign players (Howard in this case), and you need to find ways to expand your payroll through trade and exceptions, and it usually takes a year or two to integrate and gel a deep enough team to truly compete.

Now here’s my key point. Instead of taking time to find the best value, we should have a sense of urgency in making the moves. Sometimes we have to accept slightly less than fair values in trading and signing because the clock is ticking. There are only two years left before Parsons and Beverly got their big pay day, and Asik and Lin will drop in trade value due to the poison-pill construction, and DMo and TJones are going to either lose their perceived potential, or eventually look for big raise in three years. Howard may decline over time, and both stars may get injured. We already had a lot of value on the payroll, we just needed $15-20M total worth of roster upgrades, be it a Bosh, an Iguodala, or multiple MLE players, at fair market rate to form a solid 9-player rotation, as quickly as possible!

Here is the list of things that could very realistically have been done since the Howard signing:

Trade Asik for a very good PF last July, throwing in picks when necessary. Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson and Paul Millsap were most mentioned at the time. Morey would rather experiment with twin-tower than going the more steady route in acquiring a PF.
    Even if we highly valued Asik as a backup, we could still trade TJones or DMo for a quality PF last July. It’s harder to match salaries but there are possibilities. I was on record proposing not only trading TJones+a filler for Patterson back but also immediately giving him an extension at around $5M/year. (He just got $6M/year this summer.) This is the type of moves that you can do to expand your payroll (basically trading a former 1st round pick for an extra MLE) by acquiring the bird right of a player who is also a great fit to the team. When an opportunity presents itself, you can always consider trading Patterson(at $5M)+picks+fillers for an upgrade.
    After the twin-tower failure, Asik pouting and Anderson/Millsap likely taken off the trade table, Asik could still be traded for good players before February to help the team. I assume Asik+non guaranteed contracts for Deng is possible value-wise (maybe in a 3-way) given Asik is worth a good 1st-rounder. As long as we have Deng’s bird right, we can just pay him the market price (end up to be $10M/y) to retain him this summer given that we are reportedly willing to spend. Lesser forwards like Jeff Green or Thad Young would also make a lot of sense.
    We had the Room exception to use the shore up the bench. I don’t have a particular target, but we should have someone better than Casppi/Garcia. If you don’t use it, the exception is wasted.
    We should just pick up Parsons’ option for the coming year. I’ve never understood the RFA idea at all unless you tell me it’s just a “human” move. I was shocked to see it happened and had no choice but to believe some big-while-affordable under-the-table deal (like ~$60M over 5 years?) had to be there. Looks like that’s not the case. A complete head-scratcher.
    For the moment it’s better to keep Lin rather than trading him. He is our backup PG and SG, our sixth-man scoring option and primary facilitator when harden is out. How many replacement options are there on the market that is below $8M/year? Not to mention the 1st-rounder that is being wasted.
    We could keep the proven shooter in Daniels. A good situational player to the least. Another sacrifice for cap space.

Daryl Morey, while having the best talent evaluation system in the business, kept cap flexibility as his priority, which severely limited his ability to aggressively pursuing roster upgrades. Had we ever use cap space this year, we would be limited to the cap (aside from the Parsons raise, which shouldn’t happen in the first place anyway), making this year another “YEAR 0”. We would have a completely depleted bench with no MLE to use. We would need to rebuild team chemistry. Even Lebron-led big 3 couldn’t win in all in “YEAR 0”.

How much is a Bosh signing worth to us? I think he is worth about $20M/year on the market (most teams wouldn’t be willing to sign him for $20M+), but maybe $25M+/year to us due to him being a good fit. But in any case he wouldn’t be outperforming his hefty contract by too much, certainly not worth the missing opportunities we could have in improving the team. Just as an example, we could have Deng/Parsons/Patterson rotating at the forward positions. We could then use this year’s MLE on a big body to backup Howard such as Chris Kaman (just signed for MLE), Glen Davis or Dejuan Blair, we could still have Lin backing up the guard positions, while still having last year’s room exception and this years’ biannual exception for good situational players. In any case, as long as we spend the money with reasonable quality, with some organic growth and better chemistry, we would have a sure-fire contending team without taking any real risks this off-season.

Just heard Morey says “You need 3 elite elite players” to win. Are we going to bank on cap spaces every year during Howard and Harden’s prime? He must not be serious. It matters how elite your No.1 is, how elite your No.2 and No.3 are. Albeit to a lesser degree, it certainly matters how good your No.4 and No.5 are. Chandler Parsons is no worse than the No.3's on quite some championship teams. Had we taken a more prudent approach, a formidable depth chart would be already established by now, and more than make up for a perceived subpar third star.

2. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I tend to agree,

Wish we would've swung a trade last season. Maybe we get out of the 1st round if we have a decent 4, perhaps our regular season success against the spurs gives us a shot.

If we made SOME noise in the playoffs instead of looking like a complete dud...we would've gotten more attention from FA.

With that said...With the craziness of this offseason, I'm willing to give Morey one more season to prove me right (that he is a great Gm).

But like you said, times ticking...this year we had a relatively healthy with harden/howard. something you can't bank on every year.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

didnt read

1 person likes this.
  4. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I'm certainly not suggesting firing Morey, but he needs to stop his "keep-gambling-until-you-win-three-times-in-a-row" approach.

In his model, once he got Howard and Harden, he should really value bird rights of good players instead of letting cap flexibility getting in his way.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. It was widely reported that New Orleans wasn't going to give up Anderson for Asik straight up.
    2. Josh Smith signed a contract with Detroit. Unless you were going to work a S&T for Smith with Atlanta, this is a moot point.
    3. Same with Paul Millsap.

In other words, there wasn't a real landing spot for Asik that would have net us a stretch 4 in a straight up swap.

Why would you surrender a Terrence Jones or a DMo who's currently on their rookie contract PLUS fillers for Patrick Patterson at a more expensive contract? It would have made even pursuing any big name free agents this year impossible and would have pretty much kept the entire team in tact Lin, Asik, and Parsons included. That doesn't factor in the caproom you just torpedoed the next couple of years with Patterson's contract.

Um..they tried and failed.

Much like how Cleveland thought they could have kept an UNrestricted free agent Luol Deng after they traded for him? As for market rate, Deng's market value was higher in the season than now. How do I know that? Because he turned down a big extension offer from Chicago for about $10 million a year.

I stopped trying to parse the rest of your post because it's full of assumptions trying to make sense of things in hindsight.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Sooner or later u gotta bite the bullet and put the best team you can on the floor - even if it means getting less return than you'd hoped for your assets. I believe this is what DM was willing to do for Bosh (lose on Lin, less than max value on asik, risk losing Chandler...) to put a great team on the floor... Gotta be willing to do that to put 'the best possible team' on the floor - whether that's Milsap, Anderson, JSmith or whoever... pick a horse, and ride it, dammit! TJones and Dmo aint gonna win us a championship... cash in whatever chips u got left (pelicans pick, euros, exceptions, etc...) and get a freakin REAL power forward, fill your bench holes and let's make a run, already!

7. steddinotayto

What most people tend to forget as they keep tugging at their testicles like petulant kids is that Morey made moves this summer is because he didn't want to put the same team that got beat by Portland on the floor last year.

If he wanted to he could have just kept Lin, Asik, picked up Parsons deal and be done with it. But no, he saw a possibility (even if it was remote at first) to get in the mix for a Carmelo Anthony. Then he had his hands on Chris Bosh before Pat Riley went full r****d.

Anyone faulting Morey for letting Parsons become a RFA has that right but whose to say Parsons would have stayed for a "hometown discount" after next summer when he was free to go whereever he wants? Judging by the insane spending this summer, he would have gotten a bigger deal somewhere else.

Morey took calculated risks and failed. He also took calculated risks and ended up with James Harden and Dwight Howard. You can't sit there and flame the guy while the jersey on your back has either "Harden" or "Howard" on it.

3 people like this.
  8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get what your saying and looking at it now I def wish we did that rout. Harden/Howard with parsons/deng/ patterson/ bev/TD/Lin is def a championship roster. It's a perfect blend of youth and vets.

Now of course a foundation of harden/ Howard/ bosh/ parsons /bev IMO is still better than the one above but I also think that lineup would have been the best in the entire league so it's not really fair.

I do agree that we need to focus on getting the depth around harden and Howard now. These guys really do have enough time and yrs to really cultivate something special around the H&H boys.

Dwight's a true superstar and best big in the league no team not even one with lebron can take him off his game. (Look at his playoffs avg with Orlando the guy just balls when it's playoff time.

Now harden IMO and I'm sure I will get flamed for this but I truly believe that harden can and will take that next step in maturity and take the pride in both sides of the ball. He has the ability no doubt about that. Offensively he's there he needs to calm down and make some adjustment but that's just nitpicking at this point. With all the said when he takes that final step and realizes how gifted he is he can and will IMO join the truly elite players (KD&LBJ) from and objective standpoint he's the only player in the game that can imulate what lebron does offensively. Is he lebron hell no but IMO he can be as close to him as their is in the league offensively. Remember the bobcats coach let out a little info when we played them after allstar. He said besides lebron and KD harden is the toughest gameplay in the league.

That's very high praise. Just remember guys we got the best big in the league on both sides of the ball and a young superstar with legit 1st ballot hof potential. Don't get to down guys and girls all but maybe 4 teams would trade their whole roster for H&H

9. chandlerbang21

its amazing how using the same roster as last year minus lin and asik while keeping parsons would be contending to people here. DID YOU SEE HOW MUCH CHANDLER MAKES! There would be no type of player movement to better the team with parsons making 15mill over 3 years.

Daryl isnt gonna pay 45 mill to parsons,lin and asik and Les agrees with him

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a great post. Everyone going full r****d about the Rod "spinning them wheels" again while conviently forgetting that wheel spinning got us Harden and Howard. Plus, why is everyone hyperventillating about Asik, Lin and Parsons? None of those guys are stars lol and Morey got them through FA and 2nd round. LOL wtf forgive me for not crying on my pillow about the 30M we couldve spent on just these 3 players.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't read; I do know Morey's getting grilled. :grin:

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Morey could have had Parsons for $1m. He screwed up huge. He could have kept Parsons at $1m while adding Ariza and someone like Hawes which addresses two of our biggest needs, perimeter d and a stretch four and backup center.

1 person likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Cap flexibility was NOT the main reason Morey didn't let Parsons walk.

He let him go because he believed our core of Howard/Harden/Parsons wasn't good enough to seriously contend for a title, and that's the core we'd be locked into if he had matched the Mavs' offer sheet.

Is that really so hard to understand? Do you guys actually think a core of those 3 guys was going to get us a title one day? I don't. Morey did what he had to do, and I'm sure it wasn't easy.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

15. liveguy

liveguy Member

Not defending him, but it's pretty evident he made a promise to Fegan that he would make his client (CP25) a RFA and let him get his payday finally, in order to persuade Fegan to agree to allow Dwight to come here in the first place.

He kept his word....Mavericks OVER-SHOT to everyone's surprise...CP is getting his money, Morey got screwed for being a man of his word.

Pure speculation, but I'd bet $1000 that's what happened.

None of this would matter if Bosh signed anyway...but Miami had the trump card and used it.

What can you do? *shrugs*

That extra year trumps all.....

must be the money (c) Neon Deion

16. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Dear steddinotayto, you probably know more about the trade rumors than I do, but I wish you understand the overall message I'm trying to deliver.

Maybe New Orleans wasn't giving up Anderson straight up (which I wasn't sure), yes we of course needed S&T for Smith/Millsap (which I did know since we had no cap space after signing DH), but the key point is that we were not willing to trade value (Asik's contract) for a better roster fit. A 2nd-rounder or two, a foreign stash or two can go a long way in those trades.

As for the PPat suggestion, he was a much better player than TJones as of last July, and will continue to be a much better possible fit to our team. TJones barely saw court time in his first year, but did break out mid-season last year (Morey's wisdom in betting on him being a partial success, things could go much worse though), but still fall short of our need in the end. In hindsight, TJones built up more value over the past year and I may not be suggesting the best trade (thus my post is not hindsight 20/20), but we would be taking less risk and could very well have a better team and a more successful season. Sure, less flexibility in acquiring a third star, I know.

As for Luol Deng, yes he was believed to be worth more than $10M. History tells us again and again that non-superstar players near their prime almost never go against money (which is BTW why the RFA vs URFA for Parsons argument never made any sense), as long as we are willing to spend market rate (or even slightly above market rate if he somehow got a strong pitch from another team), we can surely retain him. If that is not a safe assumption, I don't know what is.

Again, we were hindered by the cap flexibility idea can could not improve the team, and we are the only "contending team" that focuses on cap flexibility.

17. steddinotayto

And your key point was debunked because Asik was still on the roster at the beginning of the season. How do we know that teams weren't salivating at the thought of getting Asik once Howard signed at the beginning of July? They were probably thinking "man...we could get this guy pennies on the dollar. They don't need him anymore now that they have Howard". You can't replace unknown/unreported trade conversations with GMs with your own assumptions/reality

I'd like to respond to this by asking you why Patrick Patterson was traded away in the first place.

You do realize that if you had given Luol Deng an extension during the regular season that the thought of even getting a Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh goes right out the window right? I rather swing for a homerun in trying to get an Anthony or Bosh and end up with Ariza than "Well...we can't be players in the FA market because we locked up a close-to-past-his-prime Luol Deng"

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I didn't read either.

But our starting line-up is the same as last season except we swapped Parsons for Ariza (a statistical wash).

We have a 10mil trade exception.
    MLE
    Bi-annual exception

We shouldn't have any problem adding depth.

Everybody is overacting.

19. steddinotayto

Parsons will be making more than Steph Curry. I don't see why there's no extreme reactions to that.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's just ridiculous. We were going to sign Bosh and match Parsons, essentially annihilating all flexibility.

The goal obviously isn't to just endlessly pursue flexibility. It's to pursue flexibility for as long as we need upgrades to win a championship. That makes sense. Look around the league at teams who have been where the Rockets were two years ago for decades now. Look at the teams who spend endlessly without a plan (Brooklyn/NY).