1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservative homeowner arrested for shooting would-be thief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

still that girl was fleeing while the two men ventured into Joe Horns yard advancing to him even after hearing his warning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Burglary[edit]
    On November 14, 2007, Joe Horn, 61, spotted two burglars breaking into his next-door neighbor's home in Pasadena, Texas. He called 911 to summon police to the scene. While on the phone with emergency dispatch, Horn stated that he had the right to use deadly force to defend property, referring to a law (Texas Penal Code §§ 9.41, 9.42, and 9.43) which justified the use of deadly force to protect Horn's home. Horn exited his home with his shotgun, while the 911 operator tried to dissuade him from that action. On the 911 tape, he is heard confronting the suspects, saying, "Move, and you're dead",[3] immediately followed by the sound of a shotgun blast, followed by two more.[4] Following the shootings Mr. Horn told the 911 operator, "They came in the front yard with me, man, I had no choice!"[5]

Police initially identified the dead men in Horn's yard as 38-year-old Miguel Antonio DeJesus and 30-year-old Diego Ortiz, both residents of Houston, and of Afro-Latino descent. However, DeJesus was actually an alias of an individual named Hernando Riascos Torres.[3] Torres and Ortiz were carrying a sack with cash and jewelry taken from the home of Joe Horn's next-door neighbor. Both were criminals from Colombia who had been convicted on drug trafficking charges.[1] Police found a Puerto Rican identification card on Ortiz. Torres had three identification cards from Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic, and had been previously sent to prison for dealing cocaine. Torres had been deported in 1999.[6]

An unidentified plain clothes police detective responding to the 911 call arrived at the scene before the shooting, and witnessed the escalation and shootings while remaining in his car.[3] His report on the incident indicated that one of the men who was killed "received gunfire from the rear".[1] Police Capt. A.H. "Bud" Corbett, a spokesman for the Pasadena Police Department, stated that the two men ignored Mr. Horn's order to freeze and that one of the suspects ran towards Joe Horn before angling away from Horn toward the street when the suspect was shot in the back. The medical examiner's report could not specify whether they were shot in the back due to the ballistics of the shotgun wound.[7] Pasadena police confirmed that the two men were shot after they ventured into Horn's front yard. The plain clothes detective did not arrest Horn.

#61 vlaurelio, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Criminal lives matter ....

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So basically, if a 4 year old child walking on the sidewalk of your house bends over and takes a blade of grass from your yard and than waddles away, you have the right to shoot them?

That's essentially what you are arguing here.

Patience and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

[​IMG]

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not surprising you equate blacks with criminals.

Patience likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

FIFY

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

She didn't deserve to be shot, but she shouldn't have been on HIS PROPERTY STEALING...

She was just as wrong as he was...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Stealing a nazi flag is just as wrong as shooting someone 3 times in the back?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nyet.

10. T_Man

The fact is stealing is stealing and she wouldn't have gotten shot if she wasn't stealing...

Shooting her 1 time was wrong, but let's not over the look that she was just as wrong...

Not saying the Nazi dick was right... but he does have freedom of speech and she had no right stealing the flag..

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I just don't get that argument. How the **** are they equivalent?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Having no right doesn't make it equally morally reprehensible. Yes, she had no right to his Nazi flag bit I'm far more sympathetic for her given context.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are justifying the murder of this woman as equivalent of her action of removing a flag.

14. T_Man

I never said the guy was right... I dont agree with him shooting her...

But a lot of people are over looking the fact that she was wrong...

My grandfather use to tell me all the time "Boy the best way for you to stay out of trouble is not too go near it" That flag was trouble from the get go and she should have left it alone..

Now the guy needs to go too jail..

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is a ridiculous argument. Are you saying in your life you have never done anything wrong at all? Never broken any law? Never had a single moral transgression?

16. T_Man

No I'm not...

She would still be alive if she hadn't stole the flag.. it wasn't like she was walking down the street minding her own business...

She did something stupid and fortunately she paid the ultimate price...

So both were stupid.

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No one should lose their life for something like this. I am not sure you know what justice is.

18. T_Man

I'm not saying that Lou...

I'm stating that you have too look at both sides.. she was just as wrong as him.. and as a black man I tell my kids all the time be careful of what you do, it could cost you your life..

I'm not justifying what this guy did, but I'm also not praising this girl.. it was a stupid thing to do and now she's dead...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No one deserves to die for an action like hers. No one. That man is a cold blooded animal.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. T_Man

I totally agree..

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.