1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Connor Cook, QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

STRENGTHS: Possesses ideal size for the next level with the build to take consistent
    punishment, including as a short-yardage rusher with his deceiving athleticism.
    Cook scans the entire field and is a confident passer to all levels, showing touch, anticipation and toughness in the pocket. He has effortless arm strength when he steps into his throws with proper mechanics and torque through his hips to deliver the proper trajectory on downfield passes.

Mastered Michigan State's offense, firing quick passes underneath with the ability to thread the needle on deeper sideline throws. Has excellent experience, and his poise in key situations has improved throughout his career.

WEAKNESSES: Once moved from his original spot, he attempts to "arm" everything and abandon his base footwork, often content making throws with his weight falling away from his target. Cook isn't fully comfortable with a muddy pocket, which forces his eye level to wander and confuses his internal clock.

He will make a handful of high risk throws each game and is too willing to deliver into high traffic areas after staring down receivers. Seven of Cook's eight interceptions in 2014 came on the road and scouts will be eager to see how he performs this season in hostile environments at Michigan (Oct. 17), at Nebraska (Nov. 7) and at Ohio State (Nov. 21).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1868391/connor-cook

Stats so far this season:

17 TD, 2 INT, 57.5% CMP, 8.15 YPA,

What are your guys thoughts on him?

Haven't seen too much hype about him on this board.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's who I want the Texans to take...

...which means the Texans will not take him

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Weakness: Didn't play with BOB at penn state.

I like him, seems his weaknesses should be correctable

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Doesn't have that IT factor. Nothing about him screams FRANCHISE QB.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd be okay with him. Been watching him for a couple years, here and there.

He's kind of seen as the safe pick. Doesn't seem to have huge boom or bust potential. Kind of like JJ was seen when we drafted him.

Some rumors suggested that O'Brien loves the kid. Not sure how legit they were, or where I saw them.

I'd probably rather have Lynch or Hackenberg, though, due to higher potential upside.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has a pretty low completion percentage for college. That is a big negative going into the pros.

7. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Lynch is better and has better upside. Cook will suck at the next level

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hope he gets in the right situation to excel. Like him the most out of the bunch.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did Derrick Carr?

Texans need to draft qbs in the first 3 rounds and let them all battle it out throughout the year and then work on drafting anything else in 2 years

10. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

The scoop: "I keep thinking that he has a chance to turn the corner and be a first-round type of quarterback, but I just haven't seen it happen yet. I think he's a little better version of Kirk Cousins when he came out." -- AFC scout on Michigan State QB Connor Cook

The skinny: For whatever reason, it's hard to find evaluators that are excited about the Michigan State signal-caller. Despite Cook's increase in explosive plays and decrease in interceptions, most of the scouts I speak to are lukewarm to Cook as an early round quarterback. While there is still a ton of tape for me to pour through on Cook, the only real concern I have is his inconsistent ball placement.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Please post your source so that we can see that that article is from 2013. Things change quickly in college football. Look at Cardae Jones, for instance...

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Like to see that completion percentage come up. 57% is horrible for college.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I can't really explain it, but I think Cook will be the best QB in this draft. The kind of guy who doesn't seem very exciting but ends up being a really solid QB. Not elite, but in that Top 10-15 range, which will be the best of in this class of QBs.

Being the only top QB prospect (I think) playing in a pro style system is going to help him a lot initially.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Most mocks have 3 QBs going in round one:

Lynch (Memphis)
    Goff (Cal)
    Cook (Michigan State)

in that order. I would take any of the 3. We have to do something immediately at QB, and the draft is the best way to go.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed.

Good news is that several of the teams that may be ahead of us in the draft, like the Bucs, titans, Jags and Browns already have their guy at QB. So you would think/hope one or more of these options will still be there when we draft.

Like you, I'm good with any of them.