1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congrats to Houston's Darrell Green

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Hall of Fame bound.....

Darrell Green, a product of Houston's Jones High School, was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this past weekend. Green, who was selected No. 1 overall in 1983 by the Washington Redskins, played 20-years with the same team, an NFL co-record with the Rams' Jackie Slater.

During his 20-year career, Green was arguably the greatest cornerback of his time. He intercepted 54 passes for 621 yards and returned six of them for touchdowns. Three times during his career, Green had a career-high five interceptions in a game (1984, 1986, 1991). His menacing style of play garnered him seven Pro Bowl selections and a spot as a member of the NFL's 1990 All-Decade Team. Green also holds the NFL record for at least one interception in 19 consecutive seasons.

In 2002 at the age of 42, Darrell Green called it a career. He retired as two-time Super Bowl Champion while holding Redskins records for most career interceptions (54), most games played (295) and started (258) and a member of the 70 Greatest Redskins.

On his Pro Football Hall of Fame selection, Green stated, "In 1983, the Redskins drafted a player that wasn't as tall as this podium, a player that walked on the junior varsity team in the 11th grade, walked on at Texas A&I, quit and went home, then went back and here I am today," he said. "This experience transcends football; it's out of this world."

http://houstonist.com/2008/02/04/houstons_darrel.php

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fastest man in the NFL for a while. A blend of natural talent, hard work, tenacity, and consistancy. Congrats

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Congrats, indeed. I was never particularly a Redskins fan (except when they played the cowboys), but I was always a Darrell Green fan.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't see how Derrick Thomas still has not made it in.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My only guess is actual length of his career and his off field issues. He was one of, if not the best LB in the game during his career. I think he should be in, but I can see why he hasn't made it, yet. He would have had a much better chance had they allowed him on the ballot just after he died. The memory of him would still be fresh.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well deserved honor for a great player.

At the same time, one of my most enduring memories of Darrell Green was how a rookie (or 2nd year player) named Michael Irvin toasted him repeatedly and mercilessly one time. It blew my mind and the announcer was beside himself.

7. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

He's about to be on Jim Rome

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't remember exactly how it went, but here it goes:

During the 75th anniversary presentation of the NFL's 75 greatest players, mostly all of the players walked off the field to their seats. Darrell Green put his helmet back on to play in the game. :cool:

I said: "WOW!" at that time. I was impressed.

A feller here at work is a die-hard Redskin fan and only started liking the Redskins 'cuz he's from Kingsville, where the college that had Darrell Green get drafted was (and still is now, but as A&M Kingsville).

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Ummmm, Darrell Green didn't make the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time team. You must be thinking of Rod Woodson.