1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Congrats Rockets Fans - No matter what, these guys have succeeded

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, I just want to express how great it is to be a Rockets fan right now. It's the third greatest time. The first had to be the first championship, and of course then the second championship.

But out of 25 years or so, there's been a lot of painful disappointments. And somehow - it's been really painful for the Rockets and sports teams in Houston in particular.

I think being a fan of Houston sports is tough - and parallel to that, this team has had such a rough year. When you look at everything they have over come - from the high expectations quickly turning to disappointment. To our awful offense the first half - injuries to T-mac and Francis, our poor record, being written off yet once again, and finally of course Yao's injury.

we weren't suppose to make the playoffs this year, and instead we made history by winning 20 in a row.

That's special. And I just want to say no matter what happens from this point out - and I have no idea what will happen because my head says not possible but my heart says way possible - I'm going to savor this moment and really enjoy the rest of the season. Even if no one gives us recognition, even if we slump into the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round - what these guys have accomplished - the togetherness, the hustle, the believe - it's everything sports is suppose to be about - the kind of dreamy stuff from Hooisers more than you'd expect in the NBA.

We are the ultimate underdog. Our run isn't just about a team going into the playoffs and vying for a title - it's about the test of what so many people have preached across team sports from the pee-wee level to rec leagues to the global stage - that teamwork and hard work beats all. The Rockets have proven something far more greater than a lot of realize - something that will captivate people who have nothing to do with the Rockets - something awe inspiring - something much larger than even winning a ring. Outside of a fallen from grace super-star and a bunch of guys called scrubs....and all the adversity including losing your best player, and to top it all off to have a 40+ year old cheerleader from the bench who no one understands step up and play....just wow. I'm simply amazed at what this team has done. It really is one-of-a-kind.

It's a marvelous time to be a Rockets fan - How sweet it is!

2. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Couldn't have put it in better words. We are enjoying one hell of a ride and much credit should be given to Adelman and his staff

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, the season has been a success, at least for me. I have really enjoyed the streak, lot's of drama, lot's of fun.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i second that. but a part of me wants the rockets to WIN. we're a class-act organization with a bunch of class-act guys that it's only suitable that they win. we haven't tasted any playoff success in a decade so i don't know if it's selfish of me to say, "BUT I WANT TO F*****CKIN' WIN DAMMIT" :(

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I feel the same way brother. I'm just so tired of losing every damn year and having the haters bash T-Mac. This season has been nothing short of amazing. I'll admit I gave up on T-Mac early in the season because he wasn't buying into the system and was causing the offense to be stagnant. But I'm sure glad he came out to prove every hater wrong and hopefully we taste some playoff success.

6. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I agree 100% and am glad to see this posted here. No matter what happens, we have been given a great time by our Rockets. I have been fortunate to be at 3 games as part of the streak so far, and will be there Friday to cheer them on their way to #21.

I am proud of what they have accomplished so far. Thanks guys.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Everyone does. But I'd have to say it'd be REALLY tough to call this season a failure if we at least got out of the first round. I mean, come on... Yao's out. This is a magical run, but expecting to win it all without Yao is kinda like asking...

...Stephen A. Smith to stop yelling, or
    ...Bill Walton to stop exaggerating, or
    ...Zach Randolph to stop being a cancer, or
    ...Isiah Thomas to stop being r****ded.

Technically possible yes, but astronomically unlikely.

Most of all I just want the 2nd round, just so I don't have to hear the media yammeriing incessantly about how Yao and T-Mac have never been out of the first round.

8. apocclass

apocclass Member

when the rockets started out 15-17, and t-mac was out, just about everyone, INCLUDING the majority of this board doubted we would or could turn this thing around enough to make the playoffs in the strongest conference ever....but still, here they are, sitting at #2 in the west right now.

the way this team has come together and fought makes me very proud. even if this team does not make it out of the first round, i have no doubt they will put up a great fight, and that is pretty much all you can ask. i am proud of this team whatever happens, though i believe our defense is good enough to win a round if we can get a favorable matchup.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Or Charles Barkley to be right? ;)

Nice post Sweet Lou... I am supposed to be working right now, but I can't stay away.. success tastes so good I can't stay away.

10. kwng

kwng Member

The feeling is really fantastic when we made history. I have full confidence in Adelman where he will bring us success in playoffs as history has shown.

11. lalala902102001

20 straight wins in the NBA is something that I have not seen in my life time till today and probably will not see again in this life time.

This is a great achievement that will go down in the NBA history. Congratulations 2007-2008 Houston Rockets! You guys are winners!

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

with each passing win, there's more and more pressure on us to get out of the first round. if we don't, see the mavs last year or the patriots.

13. rocketswinitall

sweet lou u should become a poet because that was beautiful :)

14. stingray88

stingray88 Member

I agree, Take Duncan away from the Spurs, Nowitzki away from the Mavs, Chris Paul away from the Horns, where would these teams be? This has been a great time.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

that's the fun part - no one is picking us to go anywhere. 2nd round tops maybe. A week ago people said we couldn't make the playoffs.

No one can believe what's going on. Everyone is scratching their heads - how can THIS guys, without their best player - do this?

It's incomprehensible! Unless you've watched these guys like DaDa and some of us have for the past few months.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Haha - I'd starve to death. :)

17. vusa_amtd

vusa_amtd Member

There are over 50, 60 champions in NBA history; but there are Only three teams with over 20 consecutive wins.

18. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Sucess, whether we like it or not, is measured in championships.
    Second place is first looser. And being a fan is emotional gambling - you buy in and you are only as elated with the victory as you would have been depressed at the loss. I've often wondered why this is, why the resesults of some random contest between two teams, ten random guys wearing my hometown jersey's can have such an impact on my emotional state. Its because I let them. Because I want them to win, and I allow myself to gamble with my emotions - I any up, by following them in the offseason and watching every game, and by believing in them. By watching the post game interviews and seeing how much they want it too, and I believe in them. When they have an off game I am sad, but I still believe, when we loose, I too suffer (not really sure why, but I do), but I don't take it out on my team. I am just sad. I am sad when a player has a bad game, but I have animosity for so called fans that bash my team. Now, when someone puts some time into their negative opinions and develops them and backs them up, like Clutch did when he was down on Rafer, well, that is borderline, by that I mean I didn't like him being so anti-Rafer, not because Rafer was proving him wrong, but because I liked Rafer because he was on our team and he was trying hard. I mean, maybe wish JVG would have tried something different herer and there with the PG, but I just so hate scape goating. Nothing has made me happier than to see Rafer rip it up during this streak. So, if this thread is to appeal to the bashers and tell them to lay off for the rest of the season, well, I'm not sure it will work. Its the nature of sports to ride highs and lows, and to scapegoat and ridicule someone instead of bearing the brunt of the frustration yourself. Sure would be nice if somehow this season was different. That Htown got behind a team that came back with less than the championship. Showed its support anyway. That would be profound. But thats how I feel about this team. They are something special - no doubt.

19. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

Brilliant post.... Thats exactly how I feel - no matter what happens from here on out, you KNOW that this team has given it their all. ALL you can really ask for....

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

When Hawk's fans rose to applaud for us at the end of the game, I felt so moved, so proud of being a Rocket's fan. You may win a championship, but opposing fans pulling for you, that's really something special. If we, by a millionth chance, won a champion this year, I totally see Hollywood make a movie about this team.

Now who needs Hollywood. :D