1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conan O'Brien to TBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miguel, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Conan O'Brien coming to TBS
    Posted: 12:44 PM ET
    And the winner of the Conan O'Brien sweepstakes is ... TBS.

According to a press release sent out by the cable network (which, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner), the comedian is joining TBS to host a late-night show that is expected to debut in November. O'Brien's show will be followed on TBS' schedule by George Lopez's "Lopez Tonight," which will move to midnight.

"In three months I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theater, and now I'm headed to basic cable," O'Brien said in the statement. "My plan is working perfectly."

O'Brien is currently embarking on a nationwide comedy tour, but he made bigger headlines earlier this year when NBC decided to move Jay Leno back to "The Tonight Show's" late-night slot. O'Brien, who had been hosting "Tonight," left the network.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-coming-to-tbs/

@ConanOBrien
    The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hmm. I didn't see TBS in the mix. But I hope the best for him.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Now, Lopez is getting screwed by Conan. lol

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would love to see a talk show like Conan's on Showtime or Starz but I guess it's not a realistic option.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

lol. That's what I thought too.

I guess, someone always gets screwed when a new show comes up.

basic cable eh? I'll be tuning in at times. I don't think my cable has that channel in HD yet...

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

hmm I wonder why he didn't go with fox or why fox didn't go with him... itll be nice to watch conan though.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i was hoping for fx.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's ironic no doubt, but the circumstances are entirely different thankfully.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

and George coming on AFTER Conan gives him a legion of fans that he never had before... it's not like Lopez has his finger on the pulse of late night television...

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Mid-April Fool's? They must have thrown a steamship full of money at him. Or, and no derision intended, the appeal of making network money without ratings pressure was too good to pass up. A little bit more lee-way content wise, maybe he and his crew are happy they just get to write jokes and do a show. I guess Fox just could not get their affiliates to sacrifice those surprisingly and consistently profitable re-runs.

Or maybe he could end up hosting Larry King; which is really what I thought Leno should have been doing. Unless Stewart's holding out for that job.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

hosting a late-night show? i'm guessing it isn't going to be your standard talk-show. sounds like a strange, risky decision either way.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Good move. His style is more suited for cable anyways, as opposed to censor happy network television. I actually like Lopez Tonight, both make a great combo. And its always good to see a person of color that has a late night talk show.

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

With all the cap space Fox is going to have with jack bauer's expiring deal you think signing conan would be a no brainer.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I agree. And that color... is RED

[​IMG]

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sad for Conan, TBS? lol

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get the posts alluding to Conan's "adult" style or putting him on HBO. He is perfectly within boundaries at all times and never really pushes any limits. They have a teddy bear playing with his junk... that's about it.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Lopez is doing a good enough job screwing himself with his terrible jokes and horrible program.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<object width="442" height="375" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/tbs_432x243_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=214157" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/tbs_432x243_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=214157" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="442" height="375"></embed></object>

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I guess Fox must have decided that it really wasn't worth the dough to bring in Conan. Their syndication programs do pretty well and Conan would be competing with 3 other network late night shows.

I still think it'd be awesome if he took over for Letterman one day, keeping Late Night as the prime competitor to the Tonight Show for even more years to come.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Even at 12:30 am weeknights you still have to play by certain rules on NBC.

On TBS he'll probably have more freedom so we'll see if he was holding back during Late Night.

It is funny he bumps Lopez. But this will probably double his audience thanks to a real lead-in. At least for the first 5 minutes...