1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Computers] Interesting Keyboard Shortcuts 2009

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

2009 because I started a similar thread in 2005. ;)

These work in most browsers (IE, FireFox, etc.):
    [ALT]+[Home]key = loads home page
    [ESC] = stops loading the page
    [Ctrl]+T = gets new tab
    [Ctrl]+P = brings up the Print
    [Shift]+F10 = brings up the right-click context menu
    [F5] = reload or refresh
    [Backspace] = go back
    Space Bar = scroll down, or select a radio button, checkbox or button when focus is in a form
    [Tab] = will go through links and clickable fields
    [Enter] = selects a link or submits a form
    [Ctrl]+[Tab] = move through tabs, using [Shift] will go back in tabs

You can always go BACK with backspace or ALT+Left_Arrow if you don't have the BACK button, and similarly ALT+Right_Arrow if you don't have the Forward arrow. You can refresh or reload with F5 or CTRL+R.

----------------------
    Talking to jcee15 in his "lost a rather lengthy respose [sic]" thread, I wanted to share some interesting and unknown shortcuts... these have made my life easier and allowed me to play on Clutchf... I mean, eh, finish my work faster... :p

If you have some shortcuts you'd like to share, please post them here.

----------------------

#1 SwoLy-D, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Welcome to the QWERTY keyboard, SwoLy-D :rolleyes: :p :D

3. tested911

tested911 Member

When you have that *cough cough* alone time and someone walks in all of a sudden and you don't want them to see what is on your screen..

ALT + F4 is your friend LOL :D

4. SwoLy-D

Ha :D. That closes the window, tested, but... for the "boss walking in" combination, you can try

[Alt]+[Tab] - switch between applications.
    [WindowsKey]+D - minimize all (D is for Desktop)
    [Alt]+[SpaceBar]+N - minimize current window (yes, I know, it's not difficult)

So... what's your shortcut, CCR? I don't get it... why are you welcoming me to the keyboard? I am just posting shortcuts people may not be aware they can do FAST. You emmeffer... trollin' ahole :p ...

5. ClutchCityReturns

Because you could have just posted this and been done with it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Bam!

/thread

:confused: :eek: :p

6. SwoLy-D

Well, thank you for those FIREFOX shortcuts, man. ;) You're good.

EDIT: Oh... OH! Wait a darn minute. Wait! There are no FIREFOX shortcuts? I win again. :p

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

8. ClutchCityReturns

I was just on my way back to post those.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts

But I admit, it did take a couple of minutes to realize I forgot them...then 5 seconds to find them, and another 15 seconds to post this response. So, your thread didn't quite die when I thought it did. I was the guy standing over the dying protagonist that drops the shotgun on the ground and walks away instead of making Sloppy Joe's.

But I'm not black so I lived.

9. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Swoly's thread is much more user friendly than your links ;)

10. SwoLy-D

I thought you were shooting ME, thought I was dead, and you walked away? [​IMG]

Anyway, in Microsoft WORD, there are a few tricks, not exactly shortcuts, but I thought I'd share these tips with you dudes:

Microsoft Word

Bullets
    When you want to start bullets, just type a *, then space twice. This starts bullet listings. If you want to cancel, press [CTRL]+Z. When you want to end the bullets, just leave the last bullet entry empty and press [Return] again. You can also add more "AutoCorrect" entries or delete them in the options.

To move down a level, press [Tab]. To move UP a level in bullets, press [Shift]+[Tab]

These shortcuts also work for Numbered lists.

Correcting AutoCorrect
    Ever been annoyed by the autocorrect? For example, your name is "Wya" but you want to type it in a heading and Word corrects it as "Way"... doesn't that annoy you? Well, just do [Ctrl]+Z and it will be undone.

What about that happy face? If you type :) together, it will make a happy face from the WingDings [​IMG] . All you need to do is press [Backspace] on the keyboard and it will be undone back as a :).

These tips work in all versions since Office '97

[​IMG]