1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Comey Fired

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, May 9, 2017.

?

Do you agree with the firing?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Yes but only after the Russian investigation

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You're right, it was 3 turnovers, 3 bricked shots AND a free throw.

Donny is right. Liberals should be able to acknowledge that Clinton got screwed by things but also realize that she caused most of those things.

With the exception of the Fox News propoaganda machine and the media covering every breath Trump took, all of Clinton's problems stemmed from her own bad decisions. Comey letter, wikileaks...at the source of all that were the bad actions by her and the democratic party. Ultimately those things proved or at least helped people believe even more that she and the party apparatus were corrupt and two faced sell outs.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no it didn't

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She had nothing to do with voter suppression and cross check. Nate Silver has repeatedly demonstrated that one can legitimately argue Comey cost her the election. Even with her ****ups, the presidency was in reach. Until Comey.

In an election this close, everything was a factor. And I honestly believe that is how the GOP wants it. They are structurally tilting the electoral system in their favor to ensure that can win these close elections. And they know partisans will fall in line to talk about how bad a candidate the loser was or how the losing party was at fault, etc. Especially, when the talking points are on Fox 24-7. Obama was just such an historically amazing candidate that he overcame those structural problems fairly easily. A flawed candidate like Clinton was gonna have real problems.

I dont deny Clinton's faults and do not know anyone who believes she was perfect. As the good soldier, Colin Powell, once noted: Clintons tend to do themselves in by their own hubris. But to say she caused most of "those things" is incorrect. No matter what she did, the FoxNews and conservative machine was gonna come for her. Even if they had to make things up. Even if the GOP has to give them the optics of fake ass hearings into Benghazi. Even if conservative groups fund hit pieces like Clinton Cash. Look at the GOP and Fox right now. They lie blatantly and consistently with no regard for the truth. Clinton gave them an opening, yes. But c'mon. Murdoch didn't need one.

Conservaties and GOP partisans need to own what their party is doing. Own Trump. Take responsibility and deal with it.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Trump won by a margin of 200K votes over a handful of states.

6. justtxyank

Right, and even if that's true (which I think it probably is) it isn't like Comey was involved in all of this because of a made up email story. Clinton caused that situation. If the candidate was a different Democrat, Comey wouldn't have been making any announcements because he wouldn't have been investigating the candidate.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Restoring public confidence in the justice department? Seriously?

And the justice department says:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/james-comey-asked-doj-for-more-resources-for-russia-investigation/

Now... who do you believe? I know why the justice department "spokesman" would lie... why would Comey about asking for more resources?

8. JeffB

Supporting Member

I'm not absolving her of her actions in the email/server issue.

My point is that if it wasn't the email story, it would have been continued Benghazi hearings, calls for a Vince Foster investigation, calls to investigate the Clinton Foundation... etc. Just like her husband getting a blowjob in Oval Office and lying about it, she ****ed up with the server. But we all know, the GOP would have found a story and Fox and GOP loyalists would have played along with the phony outrage. And given her and her husband's history with the NY Times, she still would not be able to count on a big national liberal voice to push back against the outrage.

That it was her email server isn't even pertinent to me. What is pertinent is the ability of the GOP to leverage the media and our institutions against their targets of choice.

Nippystix and JuanValdez like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Are we talking about Hillary Clinton in November or James Harden last night? :(

#109 DonnyMost, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    justtxyank likes this.
  10. JeffB

Supporting Member

Good questions. I remember the Financial Times reported that Comey had plans to expand the investigation: https://www.ft.com/content/40498d94-155b-11e7-80f4-13e067d5072c. So Comey's request would be inline with that if that report is true.

But I'm gonna opt to not trust anyone connected to a party leadership and administration that trades in bold faced lies.

11. justtxyank

Sure, Fox and the GOP would have found some story to keep pushing. They pushed Benghazi and it went nowhere. They pushed all the other stuff and it went nowhere.

Comey didn't investigate those things and he never would have. Putting the email story in the bucket with those and saying "if it wasn't the email it wouldn't have been one of the others" completely undersells the reality that the email story WAS LEGITIMATE and that it wasn't the media pushing it, the FBI was actually involved in an investigation. Those other stories would never do damage because it was just politicians talking about it. The email story hurt her because it was real and the director of the FBI issued a letter about it. He acted out of the ordinary in doing so, but she was still the source of the problem. She actually did do something wrong.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People talk as if Comey cost Hillary the election.....but honestly if he'd done his job properly, he'd have recommended prosecution for the crimes the investigation found evidence of. That would have REALLY cost her the election. If anything, he kept her in the running by agreeing to sweep it under the rug and take the Obama administration off the hook. Those actions alone merit him being fired, but if you are happy that he let her off the hook you can still be upset that he brought the issue up one more time right before the election which is yet another action that would merit him being fired.

Again, no one should be upset about Comey being fired no matter where you stand politically.

When it comes to the Russia investigation, Comey isn't an investigator, he's just an administrator. His removal won't necessarily change anything about any investigation and absolutely wouldn't affect the Senate investigation...and if the new director came in and made sweeping changes that affected the investigation, you'd have leaks about it. The conspiracy theories are pretty shaky at best because it's simply not an effective means to do what they are claiming was trying to be done.

13. NewRoxFan

And more on the timing of the Comey firing...

Comey Will No Longer Give Scheduled Testimony Before Senate Intel Committee
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...-testify-before-senate-intelligence-committee

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

15. NewRoxFan

Hmm... perhaps Trump's move won't work anyway...

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, Comey is nothing but an administrator who would be giving testimony that was prepared for him, what difference would it make if he gives it or if his replacement gives it? What would he be able to add on his own?

I mean, I get what you are trying to do, but the narrative doesn't actually make sense.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To those saying "nobody" should care about Comey being fired, I say this:
    Everyone in America should care about a President (never mind this President) getting to select his own person to investigate his own campaign's ties to a hostile foreign power. That's the part where you have to fear for our institutions.

Trump selecting who will run the FBI investigation is the point 1000x more than anything about Comey himself. (On Comey, I don't recall asking for him to be fired --I may have, but don't think I did -- and I agree with those saying Comey was doing something right in tough times if he pissed off both parties.)

Eric Riley likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The FBI director is not an investigator.....so what you are saying is false. The FBI director also has to be confirmed by the Senate, so it's not just a situation where the President can hire whoever he wants to.

What you are saying simply falls apart with any scrutiny whatsoever.

19. TheresTheDagger

You're making an assumption about a person we haven't even been introduced to....namely the new (or interim) FBI director...essentially stating he/she can't be trusted to do their job simply because Trump is President.

That's an awfully big leap to make, but I guess Trump has the left jumping the shark on an almost daily basis now...

20. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An administrator doles out resources, both monetarily and staffing wise. Are you really that dense?

The verbal gymnastics of Trump loyalists on this issue has gone from funny to sad. Self-respecting Republicans should be jumping at the chance to take back their party from this clown show.