1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Let me know if they changed the blackout rules.
    Used to be that you can't watch local games(home or visitor) and they check via your location(IP address).

I want to do League Pass via the NBATV app on ROKU.

2. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Yep. Most of the time last year I used one of those alternative methods to see the game and had to watch on laptop.

3. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Yep. I don't know how they pull this crap when their franchises are rebuilding.
    I would only expect this level of BS after a championship season.
    I'll continue to watch my winning Texans on local TV!!!!!
    Astros and Rockets can go to hell as far as TV is concerned. They will only get my money when go see them live.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly.

They don't seem very motivated to make their games available to a wider audience so I'm just not very motivated to jump through hoops to watch their games. Why should the fans have to call their providers so that more people can watch games? The burden to gain more fans should be on the team, not the fans themselves.

Typical Rockets PR. They choose to do this just as they are rebuilding and the Texans are 5-0. I hope it blows up in their faces.

I hope the bafoons who decided that this was a good idea are reading this thread.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

George W Bush, Illuminati member, in a Big Bird costume spreading the his capitalism message

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To be fair, the Rockets old tv deal expired this year, and I believe FSN's deal with the carriers expire at the same time (FSN is off the air now). So whether they start CSN or work out a new deal with FSN or any other network, negotiation and delays are always gonna be part of the agenda at this time.

Edit: Apparently there was a lawsuit back in 2003 or so that got the teams out of their the current TV deal starting 2009? Not sure the exact details, but anyhow these negotiations do happen periodically.

#86 Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  7. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

...it's not a dispute. It's called business. A dispute is when the network has actually existed for quite a while and there isn't an agreement with one or a small group of providers because of some actual issue.

The network has barely even signed on. No networks of note have it and things wouldn't have been done by now no matter what....

8. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Yes, but so is subscribing for your own content.
    I use ROKU to access Netflix, UFC, etc., and could also access NBA TV, which has league pass. Now if blackout rules were changed, I would buy my LP subscription. And if CSN were to deliver content, I would purchase that too.

However, Comcast is going the route of AMC, by asking us to push our providers to pony up for their channel. AMC, however, has other ways they are providing their content---HULU, Amazon(not sure if current ep), Netflix(old ep) and they make their money that way for those who either have different or no cable provider.

Since LP will not give local access(blackout), CSN is the ONLY way to see the rockets/astros for those of differnet or no provider.
    Sorry, but I hope this blows up for them. They can't play hardball for a product that is less in demand than in past years.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a direct email to the Rockets where we can complain too? I definitely want to let them know that I am not happy missing games. I definitely will never get season tickets again if they drag this on.

10. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Furthermore, I should have also mentioned that MLBTV is also available via ROKU or other smart app devices. (just as NBATV and others)

So, should blackout rules be lifted, those who have someone other than comact or no paid provider could purchase their subscription(content) to watch who they want.

They have to sell content access through not only their own channel, but also through other avenues such as League Pass subscriptions.
    This blackout rule BS has to be lifted, or they are left with only one viable product to sell.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think it's excellent strategy. Come off a low ticket sale season and try to repeat that with low tv ratings also. Man it makes it easier and easier to enjoy the rockets every year. Sarcasm aside I'm just going to put the blame on everyone.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hold on a sec. IMO, what they aren't shy about is where they want the pressure applied by fans: To the 3 major providers they are negotiating with. This is pure self-interest. The fact none of the 3 have signed on points the arrow squarely back to the Rockets and CSN. Asking fans to pressure the other 3 is a clumsy PR stunt trying to sway public opinion.

As an earlier poster said, I hope this blows up in the Rockets face.

13. Carl Herrera

I wonder if Comcast's stake in CSN (I think 23% or so) makes it so that there is mixed incentives for CSN. The owners of the teams want as much $ from the providers to CSN as possible. Comcast, the cable company, however, also have the incentive to try and force people to switch to Comcast cable from current provider.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you take my comment to be a defense of the Rockets? Not my intention at all. I just think it's interesting that most blame the Rockets, since the audience voting here is comprised of diehard Rockets fans and I figured they would defend them first and foremost.

I agree with you... I'm very confident that the Rockets/CSNHouston are trying to get large sums for their channel, hence the holdup. I'd like to see what the providers that haven't bitten yet have to say.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I guess the question is- are there enough diehards who would threaten to drop their carrier and switch back to Comcast? and would that make a difference to the other 3?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is the part that pisses me off the most - putting the burden on us, the fans. This is YOUR problem. YOU fix it.

If you're going to try to strong-arm the major providers into adding your silly little channel at absorbent fees, don't use what few fans you have left to do your biding.

17. Carl Herrera

Tweet Morey (@dmorey) and Rockets CEO Tad Brown (@tadbbrown). Talk to ticket rep if you are a current season ticket holder. If the team values anything, it's season ticket holders.

18. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

I called every provider yesterday and they said basically the same thing still in negotiations. Hoping they get it done by the start of the season.

19. Carl Herrera

The audience voting here is also comprised of frustrated Rocketd fans, some of whom are mad at the team for not landing Howard, not keeping Goran, etc.

BTW, I wonder if the Rockets know this. Maybe we should pass the poll result on to them?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's a negotiation on price, so I don't blame either side for that. I do rather resent the effort to get fans to put pressure on the carriers.