1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast or AT&T?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, May 22, 2010.

?

Which service is the best?

1. Comcast

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. AT&T

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  3. Other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hello, everyone!

I'm in the process of moving to College Station from The Woodlands, and I thought I'd ask a simple question.

I've had the DSL services of Consolidated ever since I've lived in the Woodlands, so I have no idea which of the two companies are better.

I tried googling possible opinions on the services offered by comcast and AT&T, but there seems to be no clear-cut decision on which is better.

I'm looking for high-speed internet mainly; not sure if I will get cable.

Can anyone help me by sharing their opinions, if any, of Comcast and / or AT&T?

Also, if there is a better company out there (Suddenlink, etc.), please don't hesitate to say why!

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Neither. Too bad they are the only options.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

What do you guys use?

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Comcast and AT&T.

I heard about Windstream on here and it sounded good. Too bad they don't service my area.

Generally AT&T is somewhat cheaper/slower.

6. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Comcast 16 mbps but $55 per month

right now you can get the

AT&T 6mb for $24 per month for 1 yr

I have Comcast 16 mb but it only test at 8 mb at my house

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Comcast is clearly better than AT&T now with Docsis 3.0 even though it's not in every area of Houston yet.. the run time and reliability of Docsis 3.0 is also phenomenal. Ain't no way AT&T can compete with that... 50 mb down... for $100... bargain.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Find an apartment with free cable internet - Suddenlink is pretty reliable.

Also, introduce me to your mom for giving you this valuable advice.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

ATT- Uverse internet is Great. Uverse is basically next-gen DSL. Right now Max speed is 24mbps...$65. I have 18mbps...$55. Comcast sets bandwidth limits......i will Never use a company that has caps. Also, cable is has the neighborhood bandwidth sharing that seems to keep them from hitting that max speed.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What good is 50mb download if you have a 250 GB cap? It giving comcast money...for no good reason.

11. ItsMyFault

Do you know how many people use 250 GB each month? 1% of their customers.... 1%... use over 250 GB. I don't think you realize how much 250Gb is. I'd like to know how many people here use somewhere even remotely close to 250 GB each month.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I've had AT&T DSL since 2002 and been happy with it.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What residential customer really needs a 50mb download? And 250 is A LOT. You could watch youtube in high quality all day every day and still not scratch the surface.

Maybe one day we will need it, but not now.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Comcast has a great deal right now to get their internet for like $20 bucks a month or something for the first 6 months or so.

It's worth it. Their internet is much better.

Edit: 19.99 a month for 6 months.

15. ItsMyFault

Yeah, you really don't need 50 gigs down. But, you can share the connection with your neighbor(s) by hiring a networking tech to have it hooked up to multiple houses. You gain speed and probably even save money... It doesn't really make sense to share 16 mb... but with 50, you wouldn't really have to worry about your speeds slowing down much.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im assuming you mean 50mb down. If I understand you correctly, youre suggesting sharing one internet connection with several houses and pay one bill? That is cable piracy and carries a hefty fine.

17. ItsMyFault

Sure does... but nobody has to know.

18. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Go with AT&T for high speed internet. With AT&T you get your own dedicated line. If you have the 6mb package, you will get the full 6mb.

With Comcast you'll be sharing the bandwidth along with many others. Even with a 16mb package, you're never going to get the full 16mb. It all depends on how many Comcast users are on at the time, and it's worse at night when everyone gets home from work. With Comcast the speed goes up and down, while AT&T stays consistent, no matter what time of day. AT&T is slower, but much more consistent.

I currently have Comcast with the 16mb package and only get about 8mb on a good day. I'm stuck with Comcast because they don't offer AT&T in my area.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If your AT&T option is DSL, go with Comcast. If it's AT&T Uverse, definitely choose it over Comcast.