1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collier Soft? What were the Draft Analysts Thinking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oatdog, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

OK, I didn't see him much at Georgia Tech, so maybe he did play soft back then, but look at him now! I knew he could shoot, and I knew he was big, so I kind of liked the pick from the beginning........however, I did not expect to see him taking charges, taking it hard to the basket and getting the foul, bangin' against Shaq and lookin' about as good as anybody else out there - what a pleasant surprise!

On a side note, I just saw a bit of Hakeem against Utah in the '95 playoffs. I didn't want to start another Hakeem nostalgia thread, but allow me to say how blown away I was all over again. I watch the NBA a lot these days (even though I sometimes start dumba$$ Elden Campbell threads), and there's nobody out there who can hold a candle to the Hakeem of that period. Man, the shots he used to make - simply incredible.....

------------------

2. MManal

MManal Member

He wasnt soft at Georgia Tech either. I still remember reading a comment by Michael Murphy saying that all Collier could do was shoot from the perimeter and was too soft to play inside making him a second round pick and all. Throughout the offseason I wondered where he got that from. This is part of the reason why I feel it is important for people to make their own evaluations and not just regurgitate what they read in papers and magazines.

There is still more to Collier's game than he has shown thus far. The off the ball, screen and roll game along with his ability to crash the glass and run the floor reasonably well for a player his size has been shown. However, Collier also has a very smooth postup game with a nice hook shot that we could all see later in the year. However, as of now, Rudy has not set him up in the post yet.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You don't think it is a racial thing, do you?

Sometimes it is hard to wipe stereotypes out of mind. How many white post players in recent years were not labeled as "soft"?

Oh well, the only draft analyst I listen to is MManal ... sometimes.

[​IMG]

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited November 13, 2000).]

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Would a Sam Perkins comparison be fair? I think he's probably a better shooter than Perkins (career 46%). Not sure yet about the rebounding, but Perkins has a career average of 6.1 rpg with highs of 8.8 rpb in heavy minutes (around 37 per game).

I don't know that Collier has 3pt range like Perkins, but he's hitting a good percentage from outside so far.

I think his rebounding will improve as he gets more experience.

------------------
    "We end up with Francis/Mobley isolations very often. More often, I'd say, then other teams." -- jamcracker

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I wouldn't be expecting Collier to shoot way over 46% for his career - that's about where he was at Georgia Tech. As for the 3 point shot, Perkins shoots better as of right now, but Collier certainly has time to "learn" that shot, getting shooting range is a matter of practice, practice, practice. From all reports that's something that Collier does pretty well!!

------------------