1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collier = Sabonis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Aug 5, 2000.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

RE -- The Perkins comparison is particularly apt from the neck up. It's that big-jawed, half-asleep "mug shot" look.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Let's think about it.. There is no center in the NBA that can actually bang with Shaq. Indiana and Sam Perkins showed Shaq's true weakness on defense. Take him away from the basket. If Collier can hit the 10 to 15 foot jumper on a consistent basis, then Rudy made one helluva pick.

------------------
    Soon to be a Member of CCC. inc Pledgee T_Man

3. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

Ok les clear this up. Is it 10-15 ft or can he knock down a solid 20 ft jumper?
    Also besides this theory, why did we draft this guy? And how is pryzbilla doin so far?

Pryzbilla Collier
    Najera Langhi

So who would win?

------------------
    Lookin at a 75 year old man in a thong: NASTY
    Lookin at Shaq hit free throws: "O SH**!"

4. haven

haven Member

I don't think it would work on offense (do to Collier's lack of range), but it *certainly* would hurt Houston on defense. The guy *can't* defend. At the RMR, he was repeatedly USED by other subpar players.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

5. MManal

MManal Member

How do you differentiate between your arguments that

a) the RMR wasn't adequate to complain about Collier -and-

b) that KT was a failure at the RMR

Thanks in Advance (I know what your argument is, but I just thought I'd give you crap).

The evaluation of KT is based on a whole season with the Rockets last yr, and the RMR, not just the RMR. There were some obvious problems like he would settle for too many perimeter shots which caused his FG pct to be an absolute joke for a PF. Also, there was/is concern about his low post defense b/c of his lack of height and such. Kenny Thomas has been evaluated on a longer term scale, and there were obvious areas he needed to improve on. I saw very little improvement and was most disappointed in his position defense. To be a good PF defender in this league esp if you lack height, you have to hold your position and well. If you are going to guard bigger players, you cannot let them shoot from their favorite spots. KT is just bad in that area, and I dont want to hear that Tim Duncan complemented him. Using that rationale to say KT is a good defender just makes no sense. His defense at RMR was a pitiful joke; no improvement from last yr. I didnt think much of his defense last yr and see no improvement now.

Jason Collier on the other hand, some folks are trying to judge based completely on those few games last yr. Based on some of the comments in this thread, ie. Collier is a poor man's Bryant Reeves, Collier's range is not very good, etc. that shows that these people have not watched him play at all. At Georgia Tech, Collier showed legit range, he was very strong on his perimeter shot. He can nail the 18 foot shot w/o a problem. Hearing comments like he cant even shoot a 15 ft shot shows that those opinions are based wholely and solely on the RMR. He showed legit range last yr at Georgia Tech, and the Rockets brass commented after the draft on how he has a really good perimeter shot.

The KT evaluation is based on last yr and the RMR so I am saying give Collier the same length of time before casting him off as a complete bench warmer and poor man's Bryant Reeves.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Forget Collier, Langhi could beat both of those stiffs by himself.

------------------
    "I'm real sorry bout the shape I'm in
    I just like my fun every
    now and then"

7. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

The quickest way to loose is to worry too much about match ups and what the other guy is doing to you, and not enough about what you are doing to him. See Pat Riley in the 86 series with houston. This is a team game. Few players have the defensive skills to change the game alone, and no one can stop Shaq alone.

------------------

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If collier is the center who is the PF? Probably Cato and we all know Cato doesn't have very good range, therefore Shaq would probably guard Cato, meaning Shaq can pretty well play a zone. It's not hard to imagine any PF or even many SFs guarding Collier because he is soft.

------------------

9. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

COLLIER= VLADE DIVAC

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

10. Rocketincleveland

I love it if he is anything like Divac. However, watching the games in ESPN2 really disappointed me about this guy.
    I'd say it is going to be more like
    Jason Collier=John Turner

------------------
    HAKEEM... the best ever!

11. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I could only dream collier will = Laimbeer.

Laimbeer was an enforcer, hard screen setter, had several seasons of 10+rbs, (lead the league in rbs at least one year) and could knock down the open shot from long range. I'm afraid well be lucky to get a Bullard out of collier, and hey, Bullard is a 10yr vet in this league, most 1st round draft picks don't make 10yrs.

------------------

12. TB3

TB3 Member

Collier = Marty Conlon

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I like the Bill Laimbeer comparisons, myself. The Piston team of 1990 would of given the Lakers problems. I never saw Laimbeer miss that many shots. Especially in big games. And if you think about it, we are building a similar team like the Pistons guard oriented team.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan