1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football Question]Do You Root for a Rival or Not?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 11, 2011.

?

Do You Root for a Rival

1. No, I would never root for a rival no matter what the circumstances

28 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Yes, I would root for a rival because I am a "conference man"

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Big Georgia (in addition to the University of Miami) fan here and I just could not bring myself to root for Auburn tonight. I was glad that it was a good ballgame, wished it was more high-scoring, but I wanted Oregon to win. Other Georgia fans that I have talked to say stuff like, "I'll root for Auburn because they are SEC and I always root for the conference even if it is a rival."

Maybe I am in the minority but I am not rooting for a rival, no matter what the circumstances.

How about others here - do you root for your rival because you want the conference to win or do you root against them because after all they are your hated rival?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't understand the Conference thing if it is your rival. I understand wanting your Conference to win games in the season against non conference opponents because it strengthens your strength of schedule if they win.

But in a Championship game or bowl game it doesn't help you out.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Very circumstance dependent.

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've seriously only seen this with SEC fans. At first I was like, wtf? but then I began to understand why it makes sense. Regardless, I highly doubt you'd see this with Big 12, Big 10 or even Pac 10 fans

6. Mr. Space City

I dont understand this either. Every Texas fan I know wanted OU to lose every MNC they got in lol.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It can only help your conference perception for next season. If Auburn gets blown out tonight everyone would jump at the chance to call the SEC overrated going into the next season.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

As an ASU student I will root for any PAC-10 team in a big game besides U of A.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Only root for a rival if I see a real tangible benefit to my team. Usually I do not see enough benefit to them winning though.

In college basketball, I always root for conference teams to win during the non-conf schedule because that RPI difference come March could be the difference in my team making the NCAA tourney or not.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

F-ck Auburn.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

No, I would not root for a rival. I went to the University of Arizona, and I would never root for ASU under any circumstances. I would root for some of the other PAC-10 teams, but definitely not my school's main rival.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

I didn't know there were any ASU posters on here. Honestly, I didn't know any of you guys could read. :p

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What if the rival isn't in your conference?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i root for all big 'xii' schools ooc.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would root for any team in the Pac-10 not named USC in a bowl game or any championship game if UCLA was out of it

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

At Colorado, we really don have many rivals anymore since we suck at essentially every sport that matters (OK at basketball). I suppose Nebraska counts, but its pretty dead. Because we don't have any true rivalries at the moment, I tend to root for the conference. But if we did have rivals, I would not root for them under any circumstance.

18. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm a Tech guy.

I root against mainly aTma and UT.

I'll root against them during the regular season. But once bowl season comes than I will root for them (unless theyre playing for a national title or big 12 title)

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Interesting - you might be the first person that I know of, who is not a fan of the SEC, that feels this way.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

surprisingly my neighbor, who is a big ou fan, feels this way as well. my dad is like that and my good friend who made me not hate ou nearly as much as i used to is the same way.