1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Baseball] Do I even have a chance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Apr 7, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Well it's actually a junior college here in Houston. Just wanna say I know this is a long shot. Anyway I am interested in trying out for the baseball team. I did not play baseball in high school at all. This is the ultimate disadvantage. This process would be extremely difficult.

I am 5'8" and I usually float between 290-300. Yes I know I would need to bring the weight down. Even if I don't make it (and probably won't), I still want the satisfaction of knowing that I at least tried. Most of all, even if I fall on my ass, I want my family to know I am worth a **** and won't give up. There's sentimental motivation that plays a role in me wanting to do this. The odds are against me, obviously. But I want to give it a a shot.

I have a membership to fitness connection which is not more than five minutes away from my house. Haven't used it in a while until now. I will put in hard work and dedication needed. Release some aggression and get in shape. So please I need some advice and criticism here. It would be for next season. So how do I go about starting this? What should I do? Besides the given eating habits, how do I prepare for this physically/mentally? Is this even worth a try? :confused:

BTW I've played at first and outfield before HS.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

First, let me say that regardless of whether you decide to try out or not, getting in good shape is always a good idea.

That said, your chances aren't good. Repetition is more important in baseball than just about any other sport, and not having played in HS puts you at a major disadvantage already. Add to the fact that you're probably not going to run a sub-7 60 and you play a corner position, unless you've got really, really impressive skills at the plate, I don't think you have much of a chance.

That said, go for it anyway. You don't stand to lose anything.

3. roxxfan

Thanks, man. Kinda a win-win thing. I'm going for it

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

- lose weight
    - get a hitting coach
    - hop in a men's league (several if possible) just to get game experience
    - not only lose weight but get in good conditioning
    - approach the coach when the time comes, if you lose weight, are confident in your game just see what he needs, what positions
    - ALSO make sure you have the grades
    - if you enroll as a full time student you lose eligibility
    * I mention this since if you don't make it this year or whenever you do tryout you'd lose the total number of seaso s you could play
    - last but final piece of advice DO WORK SON! And good luck

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

So they don't allow full time students to make the team?

6. roxxfan

This is a two-year college

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He means you have 3 years to play 2 so if you are enrolled in school it starts your clock whether you play or not.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Who the hell am I to handicap your chances? Go kick ass and don't listen to what anyone says. This is for you, anyway...not for someone else.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if you will make it, but later you will be proud you tried.

I made UofH as as walk on, but I was also a 6'5-6'6 lefty starting pitcher that was throwing 92-93 with no experience beyond 12 innings in HS.

Good luck

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I had the same itch for basketball I tried out in college and failed miserably but hey at least I know I wasn't good enough.

Go for it. It sounds like you have a little less than a year. I'd focus mainly on getting into shape after that worry about the baseball side.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

sorry to be very direct here (and I do wish you luck), but....

as a baseball guy myself, you have roughly a 5% chance of even getting a tryout. Your chance of making the team asymptotically approaches zero.

Juco players have mostly all played on the select ball circuit since they were 12 (or younger). These guys aren't noobs to the sport and they play at a high level.

...and if' you're 5'8", 300 lbs, you'll get laughed off the field. sorry, but it's time to shed weight immediately for your own health benefit.

Lose 130 lbs and you might get a tryout

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

go for it. my biggest regret in life is not trying out for my high school baseball team. i never played organized baseball and was too intimidated to even try.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Absolutely need to drop the weight at that height. Speaking from experience, I walked on a college football team without playing my last two years in highschool. It can be done. I worked my butt off by waking up 5 am and training until I couldnt move.

You have to be dedicated and work hours upon hours each day. You don't want to be that guy who sits on the couch in 20 years saying what if. I applaud your efforts, and really recommend giving it a shot because it will benefit your health, and mind. Good luck man, just remember that if your not 100 percent committed your not going to make it. Work your butt off!

14. roxxfan

Okay guys I have pondered for a while now and I have decided that I am going to go for it. I want to be a baseball player. Since it's Monday I thought that today would be the perfect day to start training. I am going to hit the gym hard today after going to academy to check out some equipment and stuff. Upper body and cardio. I am going to mix getting in shape/conditioning and practicing the sport itself, but primarily getting in shape. Gonna get about a dozen balls (because I actually don't have any baseballs at the moment,) and a new glove. Go through some drills and things of that nature.

15. roxxfan

And thank you for all the info everyone. 100% dedication.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I assume you are off your water diet? I suspect you do not want to start a vigorous training program without a proper diet.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It sounds like you need a vision to get in the gym and get into shape and this is your way to go about it. There's nothing wrong with that. Whatever helps you live a healthy lifestyle.

18. roxxfan

Right. I am done with that. I would run out of fuel and die otherwise.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A lot of talented DI quality guys go to JC cause of academics for sure.

20. roxxfan

It's definitely time for a change with my eating habits and ultimately my way of life.