1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cole slaw

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prempeh, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

A while back there was a post about someone overhearing a member of the Rockets' organization talking about a trade for Bo Outlaw. Someone refuted that by saying that Outlaw is their only true 4 and strong rebounder and thus they would not trade him. But if you consider that this year for the Magic is a bust anyway given what happened to Grant Hill, and the fact that Outlaw is probably not their long-term solution at the 4 anyway, I think we could have a legitimate shot at landing him.

Maybe about a month ago there were rumors on NBATalk about Antonio Davis buying a house in Orlando and maybe wanting to play there. Well, if the Rockets traded Matt Bullard and Carlos Rogers (both free agents I believe)for Outlaw, who has three or four years left on the contract he signed just over the summer, the Magic would be able to make a legitimate run at Davis with the extra room, especially with the salary cap increasing for next year...maybe they could even get Webber...

We might have to give back the pick they owe us, but I wouldn't mind doing that to get him.

------------------

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really do not uderstand the obsession some people have with Outlaw. What can he bring?

Decent rebounding and good D? Notice I said decent rebounding - his highest average is 7.8 rpg and that was with 34 mpg. Do we really wanna sacrifice Taylor and Thomas for that? Taylor is steadily moving up (as his minutes go up and he gets comfortable) to 6 rpg and gives us offense - his D is improving. KT gives us a little of both as well as pretty good D.

Plus, Outlaw is 6'8", so it is not as if he could be our answer at center. If he was 6'10", I say, sure so he could replace Cato...but as it stands he will not bring much. You have to play him a lot of minutes to get production and then you get less overall than our current combo.

------------------
    EZLN

3. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Castor27: Because G.S. loves him and he has a BIG contract.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry I guess my sarcasm wasn't strong enough. I was actually replying to the post right above. I was not serious about acquiring Fortson.It was just using him for a play on words.

CK

------------------

[This message has been edited by Castor27 (edited January 17, 2001).]

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

he's also turned himself into a pretty good ballhandler and passer. he can easily play SF as well as PF. he would fit very well with the young legs on this team. Mo might be a better post up threat but I'd still rather have Bo.

Game: Bo 36, Mo 37
    Minutes: Bo 32.4, Mo 28.6
    Rebounds: Bo 7.7, Mo 5.7
    Assists: Bo 2.9, Mo 1.3
    Blocks: Bo 1.97, Mo 0.54
    Steals: Bo 1.14, Mo 0.27
    Attempts: Bo 4.19, Mo 10.86
    FG Perc: Bo 66.2%, Mo 50.0%
    FT Perc: Bo 59.3%, Mo 67.6%

------------------

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, you're so biased.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

R95, you think it is the name that gives it away? Or is it the unbridled, unwarranted praise for a mediocre player that does it?

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Y'all are too damn funny. Is a guy biased just because his screen name is the name of a player? [​IMG]

Outlaw is a solid player. I think he's the perfect compliment to Mo Taylor, actually, since Mo is a jump-shooting, offensive-minded 4 and Outlaw is a defensive-minded 3 with no shot outside of 5 feet. But isn't Orlando paying him alot of money?

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another fine piece to the puzzle....We should have drafted him in the first place..Arghhh!..I remember watching the draft and thinking we should have taken him SOMEWHERE in there..Watching him at UH ,you could tell he was a stud....

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 17, 2001).]

10. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Sam--Outlaw is making 4.5 mil for another 3-4 seasons...which isn't overpaying him, I don't think, but he isn't incredibly cheap, either.

If the Rockets really have their sights on Webber, then yes, taking on Outlaw's contract would be a problem, because I would have no problem with KT as CWebb's backup...because obviously then KT won't play much since CWebb does it all. But if we resign Mo, I just like Outlaw's ability to come in and give you something different.

------------------

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i agree

pushing Pippen69 down

join me...go find a thread to respond to.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

i agree too.

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Does anyone agree with me that cole slaw doesn't taste good?

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

14. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

If Mo continues his solid play he'll probably be the Rocks pf for years to come.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I second that Rimbaud. The guy is averaging just over 7 points and 7 boards a game.

His offense is horrific. His free throw shooting is also.

He is a high energy, hustling player, and will get you some boards and a block or two. He is highly touted around here and I just don't get it.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

16. Digaida

Digaida Member

If you would of said that the first couple weeks everyone would whine, now he's doing awesome, really showing his potential. I'm at peace with the fact Mo could and hopefully will(barring Webber that is) be our long term PF, has to work his ass off on defense though, hehe.

------------------

17. Digaida

Digaida Member

The one thing that Bo can do is catch the ball and dunk it in the basket, he gets open in the inside off of defense's rotations. Besides wouldn't it be so cool to have your PF depth chart to read "Mo, Bo"?

------------------

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Why not get Danny Fortson and you would have "MO", "FO" on the depth charts [​IMG]

CK

------------------

19. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I'm not saying he's going to be a starter--I too would rather have Mo starting, especially with how well he has been playing lately...but Outlaw is that energetic type we don't have. Plus with Cato out (and possibly on the block) we don't have anybody to block shots from the weak side, which is what Outlaw can do. Hey, he's obviously not the "missing piece" or anything, but he's definitely worth having to give you 25-30 minutes off the bench.

------------------

20. wink3

wink3 Member

I want to know where is that poser who said he heard about a trade with either Bo Outlaw or coleslaw. He should be feeling pretty dumb by now.