1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Codman's intel (taken from soon-defunct "cyberx" thread)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

"Remember Rafer Alston and Mike James?"

2004 - 2005 Houston Rockets Depth Chart

POINT GUARD

Bob Sura
    1922 MP, 10.3/5.5/5.2, 4.8 WS
    Mike James
    692 MP, 12.4/3.2/2.9, 2.2 WS
    Tyronn Lue
    479 MP, 6.0/1.9/2.8, 0.5 WS
    Charlie Ward
    360 MP, 5.4/2.8/3.1, 0.5 WS
    Andre Barrett
    314 MP, 2.1/0.7/1.6, 0.1 WS
    Rod Strickland
    196 MP, 1.8/1.7/2.4, -0.2 WS
    Reece Gaines
    108 MP, 2.6/1.1/0.3, 0.0 WS
    Moochie Norris
    39 MP, 1.3/0.7/0.8, -0.1 WS
    Brandin Knight
    3 MP, 0.0/0.0/1.0, 0.0 WS

Alston was traded to the Houston Rockets for guard Mike James on October 4, 2005.

June 15, 2007

"The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets, who have been discussing a Mike James-for-Juwan Howard swap in one form or another since the February trade deadline, have finally completed the deal."

"Mike did not have the type of year that Mike wanted to have,"
    Timberwolves executive Kevin McHale said at a season-ending news conference. "And he didn't fill the role for us that we had hoped that he would fill as far as spreading the court and making those shots."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2903593

February 20, 2009

Rockets trade Alston, acquire Grizzlies' Lowry

"Lowry was so coveted by the Rockets that general manager Daryl Morey said Lowry immediately upgrades the point guard position, even with the Rockets’ starter of the past four seasons moving out."

"With that, Morey ran through a glowing scouting report on Lowry, a swift and thick 6-foot guard averaging 7.6 points and 3.6 assists this season."

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-trade-Alston-acquire-Grizzlies-Lowry-1610891.php

Feb. 24 2011

The Rockets sent point guard Aaron Brooks to Phoenix and forward Shane Battier to Memphis in separate deals Thursday that brought guard Goran Dragic, forward DeMarre Carroll and center Hasheem Thabeet to Houston.

The Rockets also get first-round draft picks from both teams, although the one from the Suns for this year is lottery protected.

2. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, October 4 is the guarantee date on Kostas Papanikolaou's contract. Maybe he's referring to the fact that (like with the Mike James-Rafer Alston trade) the Rockets have all the way until October 4 to make a big trade using Papanikolaou's non-guaranteed contract.

Okay, that fulfills my quota of time I'd like to spend trying to decipher riddles on this BBS.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Part of the flex. Right on.

1 person likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

C'mon give us more riddles, We now have Bima in on the deciphering. (we know he stays up late doing deep dives on your work). I know he's doing it too, the legal education system and profession creates thousands of overly-analytic people who also begin to research and then research their research, because that's what the field requires. He's taking a very out there approach... deny deny deny.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

damn...took me a while to see this thread, but after reading the OP...the very first name I thought of was Tyreke. Just dont know how a new coaching staff in Pelican bay view his potential contributions to the team.

If Evans and Anderson are possiblilities, this sounds interesting...b/c AD and TJones are actually good friends...Wondering what kind of package the Rockets could offer for the Pelicans??? Thanks Codman for your posts and keep on keeping on. Hope Vegas has been fun for you.

7. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

So the chances of get Tyreke is bigger if Pelicans retains Norris Cole, ok?

8. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Harden and Tyreke...

so much...dribbling...

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

We traded Mike James for Rafer Alston, then traded J. Howard for Mike James after MJ had a bad year.

We traded Lowry for a scrub and a pick. The Raps are looking to trade Lowry. Are we targeting Lowry for a last minute trade?

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've wondered about the Raptors and Lowry, like many others, but has there actually been any indication the team wants "to go in a different direction"?

11. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Do. Not. Want.

12. bejezuz

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...failed-trade-to-knicks-essentially-i-was-gone

13. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Lol. I can't even watch a quarter of a Pistons' game without getting bored

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Other than signing Corey Joseph and drafting Delon Wright, no.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lowry was traded, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's not on the block.

One staple of Morey is that he's always working on something nobody was talking about. Codman emphasized "UNDER" the radar. With that in mind, here's a few crackpot theories I've thrown together:

Paul George
    - Based on comments from David West, I wonder if that locker room isn't a mess. A healthy chunk of the ECF team they had a few years ago is gone.
    - He's coming off a devastating injury. It appears he should get back to full strength, but there's obviously some uncertainty there.
    - Bird and him have already had a spat. Bird wants him playing more PF, and obviously George is NOT a PF (not even a small ball PF). Bird said something along the lines of "well George doesn't make those decisions"....not a good way to handle your star player.

Trade: Capela, Ariza, Dekker, 2 1st round picks, Papa, Rights to Llull

Of course this is extremely unlikely. Like Cousins, his current team has no incentive to trade him because he's signed for another 4 years. The Pacers would have to like what they are getting MORE than George, and even the #1 overall pick in next year's draft wouldn't likely be enough.

Al Horford
    - Atlanta just re-signed Millsap to a big deal and traded for Splitter.
    - Horford is an unrestricted free agent in 1 year.
    - Atlanta has a massive gaping hole at SF.

Trade: Ariza, DMo, 1st round pick

Again, unlikely, but I actually think this one has a chance.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

No indication as of late. Doubt they trade him now honestly.

Last time they wanted to trade him was end of 2014 but basketball changes so quickly.

16. basketballholic

I'd like the Horford deal if he were sent somewhere else and we got something else back. Perhaps Sacramento for DeMarcus? OF course, if that were possible, ATL would just make the deal themselves.

You should consider DeMarcus trades.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Maybe in a year or two, but right now.....extremely unlikely. The Lakers probably made a huge offer for him, and I don't see ours beating theirs. And I really don't think Sacramento is looking to trade him anyway. They can wait all the way up to February 2018 and still get a healthy return for him.

Then there's Dwight.....those two cannot co-exist, and there's no way Fegan let's us trade Dwight to Sac.

It's just all around unworkable. Perhaps if Dwight walks next summer we can sent a big offer to Sacramento.

18. bejezuz

Lowry for Ariza and KPapa would work under the salary cap rules, just sayin'.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Al Horford is definitely NOT on the block. They will do everything to resign him. Gettin Splitter helps them, becaue now he can play more on his natural position.

But about the Pacers..i also wondered it. Bird seems to be losing it. First blaming Roy, then West gets pissed by the treatment and shockingly opting out. Now his public comments about Paul George. It seems to be a mess brewing over there.

Ofc it would take much more than we are willing to offer to get him.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets haven't officially signed anyone yet
    http://stats.nba.com/transactions/

Maybe they hope to include someone in a S&T to package along with Pap?

Players incentive to agree? A few extra million added to their contract.