1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi] Yao number 4 on Kelly Dwyer's NBA Player Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wnes, Nov 11, 2006.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yao Ming
    (This week: 4; Last week: 9)

With Bonzi Wells still rounding into shape, Shane Battier still struggling to make any sort of impact in Jeff Van Gundy's schemes and Tracy McGrady off to his usual slow start, Yao has been the Rockets' rock in the post. He is averaging 24.4 points and 7.8 rebounds in only 33 minutes, and hardly seems slowed by the foot ailments that cost him precious workout time last summer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/11/10/player.ranks/index.html

I see this ranking was done before the Rockets-Knicks game, which may possibly move Yao a couple of notches even higher.

Kudos to Kelly for giving Yao much deserved recognition from a major sports media!

2. benum

benum Member

Nice. Seems the first time in years that Yao tops LBJ in any contest.

3. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I disagree with the claim that Battier has not made an impact. So far, the Rockets have been a far better team with him on the court. He's had a huge impact. http://www.82games.com/0607/06HOU7D.HTM

4. tsunami

tsunami Member

This Kelly had no clue about Battier's contribution.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He was ranked before last nights game.

Im sure he jumped up 1 or 2 spots after that.

6. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Kelly obviously only looks at points and rebounds when measuring Battier's contributions. Typical for a writer that probably has never watched the rockets play this year.

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Nice to see Yao in the top 5.. but this list is kind of weird. I understand that Dwyer's list is based on the first week. But it's refreshing to see some players that doesn't really matter much (antawn) make the top 10.

He's just showing some love to some often unrecognized players, that's all.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Saw this on another BBS. I rearranged the list so that his rankings are sort of ordered (other than TO rankings at the bottom of the list).

Yao's ranking in some stat categories:

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(40.0)
    Ranks #1 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(59.0)
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(13.88 )
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(36.9)
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(170.0)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Blocks(14.0)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Points(157.0)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(28.33)
    Ranks #5 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.33)
    Ranks #6 in the NBA in Free Throws(39.0)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.596)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(99.0)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts(45.0)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Points Per Game(26.2)

Ranks #4 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(25.0)
    Ranks #7 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(4.17)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(5.88)

9. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

Actually, Kelly is one of the few national writers who knows his Rockets preety darn well.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yao is just sick. It's also good to see Gilbert Arenas get some just due. But for me, these rankings don't mean zip until at least 15-20 games into the season. 4-5 games is just a trend.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even though Battier's offensive production seems very modest statistically, I do think he's had a very good impact. You can't discount the value of a player who's extremely efficient and doesn't turn the ball over. I also think he's the best post entry passer on the team.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Damn, bold new NBA. I expected DWade or LBJ to be tops. Nope:

I know that as the season progresses we will see the usual players like DWade and Kobe make this list and some fall off, but I do belive Yao is here to stay!

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

battier has been everything i hoped he would be so i don't really get that comment.

14. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

KD is one of the few writers that actually frequent this board. I venture to guess that he actually does watch the Rockets by the posts that he makes.

Knowing him I bet he'll respond to this thread :).

15. ritou

ritou Contributing Member

Nice. Yao gets some respect. But I think right now he should be top 2 with AI. :)

16. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well I guess I don't quite agree with Kelly on Battier's lack of impact on this team. Battier is definitely the glue guy, the cosummate team player, Mr. Intangible, and all that. However, I can't help but notice in 6 games that he has played, he registered 2 rebounds once, 1 rebound once, and especially, 0 board in last night game against Knicks when he played mind-boggling 40 minutes. I can see Battier is a very intelligent player who rarely repeats the same mistake he made in the previous game. Case in point, he was in early foul trouble in the Bucks game on Wednesday but guess what, he had 0 foul on Friday! I am pretty sure he is not likely to have another low-rebounding game tomorrow.

After all, a small forward is still a forward -- a front-court player whose rebounding ability at some reasonable level is expected.

#17 wnes, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  18. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

While Battier hasn't racked up a ton of boards, the Rockets still rebounds better with him on the court than with him sitting:

http://www.82games.com/0607/06HOU7D.HTM

They get 54% of available rebound with him playing and just 47% when he sits.

This is no 6-game fluke, either.

Over each of the last 2 years, the Grizz rebounded better with him playing than with him sitting.
    http://www.82games.com/0506/05MEM9D.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/04MEM7D.HTM

So, I would not be worry about Battier's rebounding. The Rockets are winning the rebound battles, they rebound better with him on the court.

19. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i absolutely agree. you have to WATCH shane battier play to understand his contribution to a team.

unfortunately, charges taken, deflections, shots with a hand in the face, and great defensive rotations are not official stats.

however, that being said i would like to see more rebounds from him though. that's about it though. i think he has played very well.

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I do, though I believe Yao was fifth or sixth when I put this list together on Wednesday. I think PER is as close as we have to the tops as an offensive metric, but it's only part of the equation for this silly, arbitrary list.

Whoever said I haven't seen the Rockets play, or something along those lines ... sorry, but you're a moron. I've seen about 80 percent of each of their games thus far.

I'd like Battier to get to the line more, and his individual rebounding has been pathetic. Now, the Chuck Hayes/McGrady impact has been big on Shane and Yao's rebounding stats, they're about +7 rebounding as a team per game, but Battier still looks out of place sometimes on defense when the shot goes up -- he's still figuring out the defense and his place. When he does, and he starts to locate his guy when the shot is in the air and the potential rebound is in the offing, things will be fine.

That said, "any sort of impact" was probably a poor choice of words.