1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNNSI: Jordan May Make Wholesale Changes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JeffB, Mar 12, 2003.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Jordan Rules
    Expect a fed up M.J. to make wholesale changes to Wizards

"Jack McCallum's cover story gushing over Jordan was nauseating. Let's put Jordan in the history books where he now belongs."

Whoa, Jeff from Denver, why don't you tell me what you really think? Here's a guy in a city with a 14-win team, and he's all over a man who can still score 40 at 40? Harsh, Jeff.

Actually, Jeff's sentiment was not distinct. My Sports Illustrated story (Feb. 17, 2003 issue) elicited similar responses, which speaks to the most melancholy aspect of Michael Jordan's final go-round: Some fans are just tired of him and want him, as Shakespeare might have put it, to stop strutting and fretting his hour upon the stage and be heard no more.

In a way, this kind of denouement was inevitable, given the circumstances at play when Jordan decided to come out of the Washington Wizards' boardroom, where he had spent a restless season as president of basketball operations (i.e., The Boss), and lace 'em up again.

He was not as good as he once was, meaning he could not single-handedly lift a team to the upper-tier of the standings.

His supporting cast was weak, and, worse, included a couple of reluctant warriors.

The dynamic of Doug Collins trying to coach, and teammates trying to play with, a superstar who is their figurative boss, and who will probably become their titular boss next year, was unworkable.

We knew all these things before the season started and, at some subconscious level, so did Jordan. But his indomitable will had always prevailed, so he saw no reason it wouldn't again this year. He was not so deluded as to think he could lift the Wizards to the championship, but I'm positive he thought he could get them to, say, third or fourth place in the decrepit Eastern Conference and perhaps even to the NBA Finals.

Beyond that, he thought -- no, he knew -- that his competitiveness would rub off on the younger Wizards, the younger Wizards being everyone else on the roster, including Charles Oakley, Jordan's handpicked master of discipline who is 10 months younger than His Airness. When that didn't happen, the center really came apart, as we saw Sunday at Madison Square Garden, after Jordan scored 39 points in a 97-96 loss to the New York Knicks.

"It's very disappointing when a 40-year-old man has more desire than 25-, 26-, 23-year-old people, diving for loose balls, busting his chin, doing everything he can to get this team in the playoffs, and it's not reciprocated by the other players," said Jordan in a typical stream of consciousness declaration that somehow held together. "I can look in the locker room and see a couple guys willing to do those things, but I can look and count a lot more on my fingers who won't do that.

"Until those guys let go of that macho, cool attitude and all that and do the necessary things it takes to play the game of basketball, it's going to be tough for Washington to make anything. I'm doing everything I can to try to verbalize, as well as physically show, what it takes to win. It's up to them to receive that."

Only Jordan's diplomatic experience has stopped him from climbing onto a locker room bench and screaming, "KWAME BROWN IS A DOG!" Jordan almost never gets specific when he makes accusations about players' lack of desire, but it's long been clear that, for one, he is talking about Brown, the Wizards' straight-out-of-high-school No. 1 pick who, at times, seems to hardly break a sweat. Who else is Jordan fingering? I have an idea, but I'm not certain.

What is certain, though, is that the relationship between Jordan and Jerry Stackhouse, never more than tenuous, has broken down. Jordan brought in Stackhouse, a North Carolina homey, because he thought the talented swingman was an upgrade from last season's second banana, Richard Hamilton. The problem is that Stackhouse has never thought of himself as second banana, even though the first banana is a gold-plated immortal.

Earlier this season, Stackhouse made it clear he did not agree with Jordan's decision to make himself a starter instead of sticking to the stated preseason plan that had him coming off the bench. And after Jordan busted his butt at the Garden on Sunday, at one point banging his chin on the floor while making a swan dive for a loose ball, 'House had concerns other than praising Ol' Baldy's derring-do. "I can't do anything if I don't have the ball," Stackhouse told The Washington Post, after the game. "Just play, man. I'm just playing. Man, talk to the coach. Talk to the coach. I ain't got the answers. That ain't how I play. I've been in the league seven years. They've seen me play. They know what I do to get off. What we're doing right now ain't for me."

Even a student in Hoops Interpretation 101 could make an accurate translation of Stack's comments: M.J. shoots too much and I shoot too little. Needless to say, Jordan doesn't agree. "Jerry got into a really passive state when he got those two fouls," Jordan said, regarding Sunday's defeat. "He really never got into a rhythm, and it started on the defensive end. He never really got out of the blocks. It is important for him to be offensive-minded and take more shots, but it's important, too, to focus on the defensive aspect."

Stackhouse's mention of "the coach" may have been pointed, given the fact that Jordan, not Collins, is the true coach of the team. That's not Collins' fault. It's never easy for a coach to truly boss around his superstar. Add on the fact that Jordan was responsible for bringing Collins to the bench and will be responsible for keeping him there, and Collins' untenable position becomes clear. He has a terrific basketball mind, but Jordan is the team's decision-maker and its de facto coach.

Only one thing can return some degree of happiness to Wizard Land -- making the playoffs. Tuesday night's 106-105 win over eighth-spot rival Orlando will help. But given Washington's killer schedule (nine of 10 on the road from March 21 through April 8), a postseason berth is possible but not likely. Beyond that, the Wizards face the prospect of a tumultuous offseason, with Jordan having promised to make decisions as an executive based on what he saw as a player this year. ("All it has motivated me to do is know that some of these guys may not be here next year when I go back upstairs," he said ominously after Sunday's game.) If he makes wholesale changes it's going to be a little awkward, considering that most of the current roster, including Brown, was handpicked by No. 23, in his former and future capacity as team honcho.

If Jordan does let some of the current Wizards go, his spin will be that it wasn't for lack of talent that they didn't succeed; it was for lack of effort and will. For someone who has played as long and as hard as Jordan has, that's difficult to understand ... and sad to see.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Jordan is an egomaniac and he is destroying that team. Earlier in the year the Wizards were running people into the ground, and using their bench to beat teams. They could have easily have been a Top 4 or Top 5 team in the East. Instead Jordan had to stroke his ego, demand more shots and freeze his teammates out of the offense so that he can throw up 20 to 30 shots and show that he's "still got it". This is a team built for running, yet he wants to slow it down because he can't run, thus he's making the team adjust to him instead of adjusting to the team. He's also killing the growth of the young team, Kwaeme Brown was a monster in the preseason and earlier in the year, instead Jordan screams at him after every minor mistake and cuts his minutes. Now Kwame Brown, a big time big man that was playing like an All-Star is now ineffective. Larry Hughes who is finally living up to his potential and is looking like a go-to guy is being forced to the bench in favor of 40 year old Michael Ego playing 40 minutes and taking a bunch of shots. Then Jordan blames the rest of the players. During that Knicks game Jordan was coming down and jacking up shots without even passing the ball. We're upset that the Rockets are doing this, now Jordan is doing it. Juan Dixon is instant offense he won't play him. He basically won't play anybody that can pick up the tempo because Jordan can't run. Jordan is even sticking his nose into Doug Collins' decisions. I guarantee that when Jordan finally leaves, and if they keep this team together, the Wizards will win 50 to 55 games because Collins will finally be allowed to coach and Collins will let the players play their game instead of being forced to cater to a 40 year old man who doesn't know when the let go.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Amen.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Double Amen. Not quite sure about 55 games, but otherwise...

5. Trickdaddy1319

I agree. Jordan needs to just RETIRE. He's wrecking the wizards with his super ego. I recall they were a contender in the beginning of the season when he was on the bench.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Mark my words, some team this summer is going to fleece the Wizards of Kwame Brown. GM's are probably lining up as we speak. I bet the Wiz give him away for a song. They seem to have totally lost faith in this guy and are in such a hurry to get into the playoffs for Michael's last year that they don't understand that Kwame needs time to develop. I really think he will be a quality player before all this is through. If they wanted someone to be ready right now why didn't they trade that #1 pick to Chicago for Elton Brand the way the Clippers traded their #2 pick to Chicago. Another blunder for the Wiz.

The Wiz will trade Kwame the same way the Blazers traded Jermaine Oneal. And they will regret it.

Chris

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

It wasn't on these forums, but I remember telling others that the Wizards would be better off had Jordan not returned.
    For the past couple of seasons, they've been good enough to either barely make/miss the playoffs.
    Not good when you're trying to get good draft picks for the future.

What are they left with next season.....not a team that will win 50 games.
    Maybe if they find a way to convince Brand to head towards Washington instead of some place else.

-The Rip trade was a terrible one simply because Hamilton doesn't need the ball to be effective, he complements Jordan much better.

-Kwame is terrible.
    Unlike J. Oneal, he has been given playing time early in his career.

-Hughs isn't a point guard.

The list goes on and on.
    They aren't a good team, just an average, inconsistent team of the modern NBA.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great posts.

Let me add something.

Kwame Brown could one day be great, except that he obviously doesn't react well to all the pressure, which is compounded by Doug Let-Me-Scream Collins (always too keyed-up) and Michaelomaniac.

Even then, Jordan the GM could have traded the #1 pick (Kwame) for Elton Brand and refused. There, his ego gets in the way again. He wouldn't consider a trade that might help "Crumbs" Krause.

Can you imagine how good the Wizards would have been with Elton Brand joining them? And how happy Elton would have been to be back in "ACC" country?

Jordan has a point about having more ego---er, desire---at 40 than others at 24, 26, etc; but he also seems to be blind to the fact that he's demanding the ball at 40, whether to create or to score, and demands the ball at crunch-time. I'm no giant Stackhouse fan, but damn, how do you adjust your game when MICHAEL FRICKIN JORDAN is on your team?

Dear Michael Jordan,

Get the f*** out of the NBA and good riddance.

P.S. Did Mariah service you after the All-Star Game, you "Hero" you? You lucky stiff! It's good to be the king, eh?

Signed,

Not a Fan