1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN's Jim Acosta has press pass suspended by White House

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The guy is constantly grandstanding. He's not asking questions but inserting himself in the debate. I'll be glad when
    he's out of there. Lot of sanctimonious, entitled baby's in the ultra liberal media.

They don't want to cover the news anymore but want to be the news.

It's not like he's barring CNN, just barring a reporter who has for years really been out of line.

Senator and Astrodome like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

In this case, its not "trump's house" Its the people's house, trump is simply living in it right now.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's not asking questions? I'm pretty sure those were all questions he asked.

Can you name a specific instance where he wasn't asking a question?

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that was an allusion to Obama's language in the clip that was posted earlier

5. NewRoxFan

You mean the debunked clip?

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yes. I don't think the words that came out of Obama's mouth ("you're in my house") were debunked though

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

here's that video again from the Wall Street Journal, pretty sure they didn't dub over Obama's voice ;)

8. NewRoxFan

I think the topic (see title above) refers to a reporter, at a press conference, in the press room, having his press credentials taken away for asking a question that the president didn't like. The clip posted was not about a reporter, was not in a press conference, and was not about a reporters press credentials taken away for asking a question the president didn't like.

9. adoo

adoo Member

for the education of OT

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm absolutely not arguing with you about any of that. My point was simply that the phrase "in Trump's house" consciously or subconsciously echoed Obama's language from another incident. that's all I'm saying. nothing more. nothing less.

:p:p

jcf likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

is there a better eg of a straw man fallacy ?

12. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Man if you don't know what grandstanding and trying to become the debate as opposed to asking questions and reporting
    the news is then i don't know what to say.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's not what I was getting at - I also wasn't referring to the video FWIW. Giving a news conference on a public sidewalk or park you obviously can't have SS pull them off the property, but in a restricted area whether it's the capital, Trump Tower, or the White House it seems you can restrict access to whoever you want.

jcf, Nook, Os Trigonum and 1 other person like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you want journalists to ask questions that are only politically expedient and favorable for the politician being interviewed?

So please elaborate with some nuance what Acosta asked that is reprehensible to journalism? Do you think it isn't proper to ask the President of the United States whether sending 15,000 troops to the border was a pure political move or a genuine move from the perspective of national security?

So asking the President about massive troop movements of our military and the motivation behind it is reprehensible to journalism?

I actually want journalists to ask Trump very basic questions to Trump like "What is the difference between macro and micro economics" just so they can lift the veil on how utterly moronic this dude is.

Why do you want the toddler in chief coddled so much? Is it because as a toddler he can't handle difficult questions and as a cult member, you cringe or feel uncomfortable when your cult leader goes on these blatantly obvious child like tantrums?

See, your rhetoric basically entails that as long as if the president can't handle difficult questions and starts swinging at air with stuff like "I'm the president, you aren't" or " you are the enemy of the people", the onus is on the journalist to not have the POTUS go on a toddler like temper tantrum, not the actual POTUS.

15. NewRoxFan

I disagree obviously. As do virtually every media news outlets. But I guess we will soon see as the case progresses (or trump backs down)...and even more interesting will be any discovery that may result.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the laws of physics say only a limited number of people can get WH passes

what makes Acosta legally entitled to one?

cml750 and Astrodome like this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I totally agree. Our president's behavior is an embarassing disgrace and it's insane to think people support him.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to know how many if the people talking about what a bad dude Jim Acosta is could have picked him out in a crowd a month ago.

If you guys are so vehement that only libtard sheeple watch CNN how would you even know who he was?

On the rare occasions that I turn on TV news my go to is CNN, and I didn't know him. The only CNN corespondant I know by name is Jenny Most, because I think she's hilarious.

I feel about Fox News how you feel about CNN, and only watch to renew my sense of disappointment in half the country. I do know Major Garrett's name, but only from other people complaining about what a moron he is. Couldn't tell you what he looks like.

19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Everyone knows him because he is using his White House Press pass as a moment to continually grandstand and make himself
    the news and not cover the news. It is painfully obvious that he is using his role in the press to gain notoriety by continually
    battering and attacking Sanders and Trump. I think he's very rude about it and they have the right to revoke the PRIVILEGE
    of being there if his conduct is unfit.

He constantly will just speak over Sarah Sanders or the President and keep talking and talking while they're on the next person.
    He physically would not give up the microphone. I understand these people have egos and they want to be famous and seen as
    the one standing up as the resistance but its just stupid, rude and reeks of self-aggrandizement.

Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity aren't in the press core for a reason.

cml750 and MojoMan like this.
  20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

What is sad is I REALIZE Shawn Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Rush Limbaugh are opinion pundits that are right wing.
    Many people believe a guy like Acosta and everyone on CNN not a partisan.