1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN/SI: Cassell Barks Back at Barkley

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Faos, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/02/07/bc.bkn.timberwolves.notebook.ap/

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- As the losses keep mounting for the Minnesota Timberwolves, so does the scrutiny and criticism from the national media. Not surprisingly, Charles Barkley has been one of the leading critics.

Point guard Sam Cassell said he can take the heat from pundits like Magic Johnson and Kenny Smith, who both won NBA titles in their playing days. But when it comes to the outspoken Barkley -- an analyst for TNT -- that's a different story, Cassell said.

"Charles was a helluva ballplayer when he played the game. I played against Charles," Cassell said Monday. "But is he an ultimate winner? No. He didn't win. He won some games, but he didn't win."

Barkley won the MVP award in 1993 but retired in 2000 without a championship after playing 16 seasons with Philadelphia, Phoenix and Houston.

Barkley's blunt analysis of the Timberwolves, who have lost five in a row and are 24-24 on the season, clearly irked Cassell, who won two NBA championships with the Rockets.

"They're the only two guys that have won championships," Cassell said of Johnson and Smith, who regularly appear with Barkley on the network. "The rest of them, they have a right to their opinion, but sometimes they tend to forget that they played this game, too."

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

It's about time for someone to take a shot at Charles. But then again, no one should really take Charles too seriously.

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

If he thinks Barkley is bad, wait until 'Air' Bullard tears into Cassell. That "Dream Job" contest is just a formality. Bullard is going national, and since he has a ring from 1994 ... EVERYONE is fair game.

Btw, does anybody see a flaw in Cassel's logic pertaining to only players with rings can critique?

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

When does that start again?? I googled it with no luck...

5. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Yeah i dont think too many around the NBA take him seriously. I find him to be very funny at times but also very annoying when he kisses a team's ass for the whole season (this season it is the Spurs and his favorite player Ginobli). I also hate the fact that he never gives any props to Yao or the Rockets in general.

As for Cassel, it must be killing him that his team is losing so many games when they have so much talent on that team.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't really like or agree with all of barkley's comments or even most of them but i don't agree with cassell either. barkley is one of the all-time best power-forwards and though he never won a ring i'd say his opinion should be as acceptable as a role player with a ring(kenny smith).

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Amen.

I bet there are a good number of people who never played basketball at any high level who know more about the game of basketball than Charles or Kenny or Sam for that matter.

Many of them congregate here... :D

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Jesus, can Sam Cassell go two seconds without b****ing and moaning about something? Hey Sam, how about playing basketball and not whining about Barkley or your contract. Minnesota is 24-24 so maybe you should worry about winning.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

So by that rationale, Chucky Brown could criticize the T'Wolves on national TV, but Barkley couldn't? I don't buy it.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

"Who is Chucky Brown?"

Wonder if Charles ever learned the answer to that question.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sam was a good player in the NBA for a long time, he is now beginning his decline, and he does not like it being pointed out.

Charles was a FAR superiour player to Sam.

DD

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Personally, I'll go with a HOFer over a guy that role played with a legend to get his rings, never figured out how to lead a team afterwards, and squeaked out one All-Star appearance over his career (not coincidently by role playing next to another future HOFer).

Evan

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wasn't that Pete Chillcutt? And he did the arm flex when Charles walked by?

Evan

16. SamCassell

No... and for Chilly Pete to flex his arm, he would have had to have some sort of muscle to flex.

17. SamCassell

Of course. But Sam was a superior Rocket.

SC

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

! ! !

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, he just played with Dream during his 2 most dominating years, when Barkley got here, Dream was not near as dominant.

Sam rode coat tails, Barkley had people riding HIS coat tails.

Big difference.

I don't put a lick of faith into the "won a ring" comment, because it is a team game, and people like Jack Haley have rings.

The only place where this type of thinking has any merit is in single sports like Tennis or Golf where it is one person against another...

DD

20. SamCassell

So in 96, when Cassell was here, Olajuwon was dominant. But in 97, when Barkley arrived, he wasn't?

Ridiculous. The only reason Hakeem dropped a few PPG was that he had to share the left block, and touches, with another big man who demanded shots. And the Charles Barkley who came to the Rockets had nobody riding his coat tails. He was a shell of his former self in Phoenix, and he couldn't stay healthy. He wasn't dedicated enough to conditioning to stay in shape year round, and he missed 110+ games in 4 years with the Rockets.

Charles was a Hall of Famer at his peak, but the aged Barkley that played for the Rockets was not more valuable to the team than Sammy was in his stay.