1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] With Lin and Asik still in Houston, Parsons may find his payday delayed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. FeaR

FeaR Member

I don't want to pay Parsons ... Trade him in the summer for a 3rd star or keep him until next summer and let him go then.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Plus who can doubt that Parsons loves it in Houston playing for the Rockets. He is adored by the fans, best buds with his teammates and seems to be having the time of his life. There could be some sort of home town discount involved too.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Because he is a top ten SF in the league and has improved every season? He is currently 2 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist away from getting serious all star consideration.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I hope the team is not so damn infatuated with wanting to grab a top free agent in 2015 that we end up wasting two years of Howard/Harden. We have a pretty damn good team now, I wish we could focus our energy more on making our bench better and possibly upgrading the four spot with a Millsap like player.

Really tired of the 3rd max player talk. Les likes to talk the talk about the luxury tax BS and us having a contender, but I am positive he won't walk the walk once the time comes. The luxury penalties are ridiculous for repeat offenders. Having Chandler as another possible $10M+ contract along with the third star contract of $15M+ to tack on top of Dwight's and Hardens $38M+ combined contracts just does not make sense to me from a financial perspective.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I agree completely with you. The Rockets however are years away from the dread repeater tax tables. Morey in 2012 set his strategy for the summer of 2015. If a star becomes available he will be in the position to pounce. But having Harden, Howard, D-Mo, Jones and probably Parsons locked up for the 2015-2016 season allows Morey to just add very good players to seriously compete. Morey is the master.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

A top 10 SF doesn't have much value. How many great SFs are there in the game right now?

RAPM once again reflects on him poorly compared to perception.

I believe Jordan Hamilton can give us most of Parsons' production if they were given the same minutes. On the other hand, PF is a massive weakness that will prevent us from winning titles. That position needs an upgrade and I will gladly ship Parsons to make that happen because of his huge trade value. It's just the smart thing to do.

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

RFA in 2014, Parsons gets:
    9Mil. x 4yr. = 36.9Mil. + prolly $10Mil. in 5th yr. = 46.9Mil.

UFA in 2015 Parsons gets:
    0.9Mil. in 04~05 + 11.5Mil. x 4yr. = 46.9Mil.

overall, Parsons gets about the same amount in a 5yr. period. (assume that Les/Morey reward him that extra 2.5M/yr. in UFA scenario)

RFA in 14' puts himself in a risk of injury and UFA in 15' helps his team to build a dynasty (assume Morey's able to net the 3rd star with the cap space saved)

there's another option that might be easier is to trade Asik and whatever asset it takes for the newly all-star Millsap. I'm actually in doubt about adding a big volume shooter/scorer like Love to this team. after all, there's only one basketball to shoot. Millsap is much easier to obtain, he can shoot/rebound/defend/pass and seems a nice team player to get alone with. (plus I didn't forgive Love stepped on Scola's head just yet:mad:) if Morey can pull a Asik+Jones+pick for Millsap+Lou Williams(to balance out Asik's poison contract) that'd be enough to contend in 2015. Lin and/or Williams (both expiring contracts in 15') can be dealt later for a defensive big (i.e. Bass, Varejao, Amir,.. all expiring too). so, we might win a championship in 15' and still keep the flexibility in 15' FA. (Millsap, Lin, Williams, all expiring in 15' summer)

1 person likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love how the bleacher report just happened to put a similar article out yesterday!

9. verysimplejason

I still can't understand why Lin and/or Asik isn't traded. Rockets could have been better. I'm still not convinced this will be good in the long run. If Lin continues to underperform, Rockets gonna sell him like peanuts...

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I'd rather trade Parsons for someone like Kawhi Leonard than Kevin Love.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

may I ask why

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Would it be possible to resign Parsons and then trade him as part of the package for the third star?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I trust this is sarcasm. Were you serious, I would have to consider you brainless beyond belief, with all due respect.

So you are a "what has he done for us the last couple of games?" kind of guy, who decides the relative merits of a player based not on the totality of a season's work, or a career, but rather on what he's done the last few games. Brilliant. Thank god or luck that you don't run our front office. We would be in a morass of never ending mediocrity if you did, with all due respect.

How short memories can be here. It's rather astonishing, or would be if I didn't see it so often in the GARM. Memory loss. Apparently a condition too many members suffer from, so call it collective memory loss. If Parsons scores 25 points, with 5 boards, 5 assists, a steal or two, one turnover, and the game winning shot, the fawning over him by some in this same group will be damn near unbearable.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

parsons will earn his money in playoffs, if he plays at a high level we advance to say 3rd round. Im sure morey will pay him next year. If not morey will not pay him and be looking for his 3rd star.

Morey has said plenty of time our 3rd star could be here. Its easy to know who hes talking about…… PARSONS. Morey wants to pay the guy.

--kinda like dragic situation if we would’ve got to the playoffs that year morey would’ve paid dragic ASAP. If we get kicked out 1st round or look bad in 2nd. Nothing will happen to H & H parsons will be the odd man out. BOOK IT

15. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

It takes two to tango.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If you use RAPM to bash Parsons....what does it say about Hamilton?

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Are you drunk? You must be drunk...

19. verysimplejason

Rockets should have traded Lin and Asik last summer where their values are still high.

20. verysimplejason

Morey could have sold them like a little bit more than peanuts. At least you get something back.