1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Training Camp Footage - Day 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 5, 2012.

1. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

Asik has some nice hands. it's like you can throw it low and behind him and he'll still manage to catch it. and the awareness to make that steal and dribble it up the court like a guard. very impressed.

2. pnr

pnr Member

Does that usage rate include Lin playing under Woodson too?

3. King Boo

King Boo Member

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-22/sports/31223828_1_jeremy-lin-amar-e-stoudemire-knicks-schedule

5 of the 7 games Lin played under Woodson were blowout wins where Lin played less minutes (Blazers, Pacers x 2, Raptors, Pistons). So obviously raw per game totals mean a lot less.

A better indicator is pts+assists per 40:
    Points/40 under D'Antoni: 22.4 Points/40 under Woodson: 20.1
    Assists/40 under D'Antoni: 9.3 Assists/40 under Woodson: 8.2

So it's true the offense ran through Lin a little less under Woodson, but not as much as you think.

4. pnr

pnr Member

His usage wasn't high under Woodson but his stats also dipped a fair bit. Lin'll also have more scouting done on him. I'm not expecting Linsanity level especially since this team has so many capable playmakers.

5. King Boo

King Boo Member

I'll refer you to the per40 stats for Lin under Woodson.

Can't find the exact usage rate right now, but I doubt it's much lower.

I agree that teams will focus on Lin a lot more now, but what weaknesses will be in the scouting report that aren't in there already? Teams were already forcing Lin to his left as early as the game vs Utah, and the Lakers and Mavericks among others tried trapping Lin with hard shows and double teams.

Personally, I'm hoping the scouting reports next season will show a more well-rounded ball handler and a better shooter. :)

6. shoops

shoops Member

I was impressed with that too, catching it low and putting it right up. Still, he supposedly has bad hands though, according to Bulls fans.
    I'd say Lin's stats went down with Woodson by quite a bit, mostly because Woodson's offense is pretty much just iso only anyways.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

OMG! Its official! Lin is back to Superstar level from these clips!!!!!!

8. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

:grin: lol :grin: I think I see what ou did there :grin: :grin:

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Rare good plays from Marcus Morris on those highlights (the 2 steals).

10. King Boo

King Boo Member

Points/40 under D'Antoni: 22.4 Assists/40 under D'Antoni: 9.3
    Points/40 under Woodson: 20.1 Assists/40 under Woodson: 8.2

What do you mean back? That implies Lin ever stopped being a superstar...:confused:

11. Jenopogi

I think sarcasm should have things like this ;)

12. luden

luden Member

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. For the posters who said "His usage rate went down quite a bit." Please, tell me where you're getting that information so I can look at it too.

13. sidestep

sidestep Member

I used the concept once, and now I'm said 'to throw the word around.' This seems typical of some people on this board who manage to derive broad conclusions from a sample size of 1 case.

Merely pop psychology, you're funny. Granted, the concept can be abused in debates unless we can all agree on a shared pool of data such as to show what data sets are being ignored, but it's pretty ignorant to think that this isn't a part of how we all process information. You remind me of the genius on this board who said "I am unbiased." The greatest foolishness is believing you are free of biases. Especially fans, who are by nature emotionally invested in what we are watching.

#53 sidestep, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  14. Arthurprescott2

I've definitely seen you use it more than once. Moreover, I wasn't discounting the theory. I was merely suggesting that it's fairly asinine to accuse others of it. Just a way to attack a person's opinion without bringing a substantive direct attack, instead choosing to go with a collateral attack. It's preferable that ppl regurgitate stats to make their points instead of trying to undermine another's by making broad assumptions about their perspective.

15. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Motiejunas needs some screen time.

16. Jenopogi

This I agree! I want some D-mo. When is he gonna be back? Dang infection. :mad:

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the slight delay there -- had dinner and my hotel wifi is a little slow. The first clip of raw footage is up... couple of nice plays from Terrence Jones in there.

18. Jenopogi

And here I wait :). Hope u had a nice dinner Clutch. Yo da best!

19. Arthurprescott2

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01/gamelog/2012/

You can use the stats here to calculate for yourself. I'm way too lazy to do that. But Lin's usage rate did go near the end. Even by just looking at minutes and production - you can get a fair estimation of the decrease in usage from the first two weeks of his starts to the last week of his season.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dinner? Where are your priorities, man? :p