1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Trading Yao for... Nothing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Another intriguing part of the TPE idea would be to use the ariza TPE or part of it to get Sacramento to sign and trade Yao back to us after he has gotten free agent offers this coming offseason. It gives both sides the opportunity to establish Yao's market value. The Ariza exception could be used or part of the larger Yao exception.

2. Houston_Rockets

Appreciated the read, but, I still think that the expiring contract PLUS Yao Mings value (not as b-ball player, because he will not play with the team he goes to) is higher then people are crediting in this forum.

The only problem in my mind, is that we will need to wait until the last second before the trade deadline to come close to that value. For a team that is losing, is hard to wait that long, but, we have to, in order to make the best deal.

I think this huge TE would be great for a deal like the CP3, when we could give NO instant cap relief, doing a separate deal for Okafor, and giving great, cheap, talented young players for CP3 plus draft picks. But even on that deal I think Yao would have a bigger value then the TE for NO, because they could sell the franchise easier with a global icon like Yao..... IMO (not that a trade for CP3 is likely before they sell the franchise)

PeAcE

3. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I wish NO would do a deal for cp3 and okafor this year. I think if you apply the Adelman coaching factor to Okafor his worth approaches the value of his contract. CP3's value is in excess of his salary at max. NO would pick up some great prospects and come out right cash and cap if Yao is part of the deal.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

There are so many people who have ridden Yao's coattails to get endorsements and business in China. Les, the NBA, other Rockets, other players in the league, etc.

Although I feel like trading Yao is the better decision from a purely win-loss perspective, the total value being lost by his departure makes it hard to justify.

If I was Les/Rockets Management, I would do everything in my power to assure that Yao remains a part of Rockets org in some capacity for the foreseeable future, even if it means giving Yao another season or two to try and revive his career.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are members of the Rockets media staff who have commented that Yao himself has been informed that his contract could be traded to help the team through trade if the opportunity presented itself.

I have a hard time believing that Yao and the Rockets FO didnt come to the agreement that this is simply about moving his contract and not him as a player, and he will be offerred a contract in the offseason of some reasonably amount that they have yet to negotiate.

Yao is onboard and has already stated that he would wish to remain in Houston even if traded in order to rehab from his surgery. If Yao can play, then the Rockets will offer him a reasonable contract.

At this point I think Morey would rather get an upgrade in the roster from moving Yao's contract than Patrick Patterson getting a 100,000 dollar shoe contract with Apex.

6. stephenoa

stephenoa Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but we have enough flexibility that trading Yao for a TPE doesnt necesarily mean we are giving up on getting a couple of stars this year (again correct me if im wrong, because I am still fuzzy on how DPE works), for example...

January 30th
    Trade #1
    Yao DPE(5.7??)--For Francisco Garcia
    Jermaine Taylor TPE-- For Hassan Whiteside

Trade Deadline

Trade #2
    Yao for nothing (17.6 mil exception generated for HOU)

Trade # 3
    Chicago Receives: Brad Miller and Courtney Lee
    Sends: Taj Gibson, James Johnson Omer Asik and their own 2012 First(they own Charlottes, their own pick has little value)

Denver Recieves: Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry, Taj Gibson, Chase Budinger, Shane, Jeffries HOU 2011 First Rounder 2013 First Rounder.
    Denver Sends: Carmelo Anthony, Al Harrington, Reynaldo Balkman

New Orleans Receives: Aaron Brooks, Jordan Hill, James Johnson, Omer Asik, Chuck Hayes
    New Orleans Sends: Chris Paul, Emeka Okafor

HOU Receives: Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Emeka Okafor, Al Harrington(Covers with Ariza TPE), Reynaldo Balkman(Covers with Landry TPE)
    Left With
    Paul/ Ish Smith
    Martin/ Garcia
    Carmelo/ Williams
    Patterson/ Harington
    Okafor/ Balkman

Offseason give Yao 1 year MLE

2012 before deadline
    Orlando Sends: Dwight Howard Gilbert Arenas
    Receives: Howard absorbed by Yaos TPE( or Gilbert if 125% applies idk) Emeka Okafor (or maybe a contender might want him in exchange for an expiring, Utah for Okur maybe), Terrence Williams, Whiteside, Ish Smith and Balkman.

This would only make sense for Orlando if he says hes leaving, they could shed Arenas and get Williams back as well.

Paul/ Arenas
    Martin/ Garcia
    Carmelo/ Veteran Ring Chaser on LLE (battier?)
    Patterson/ Harrington
    Howard/ Yao

Pretty idealistic but I'm pretty sure Morey would say that team is quite a bit better than a 45 win team. lol.

First I would like to know if this is theoretically possible, If so my challenge is to formulate a scenario that puts those 3 guys together with a fourth option as solid Kevin Martin in time for the 2012 Finals.

If you told those 3 guys this could happen and they would all get Max extensions with no state income tax, it seems like theyd hop on board with that plan. I think the organization who takes the all or nothing approach is going to win with the 2012 crop, like we saw with the Heat situation.

1 person likes this.
  7. dobro1229

http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2011/01/14/fran-blinebury-with-marc-and-john-11411/#more-31153

Great Interview to listen to regarding Yao and his future. Fran Blinebury states that he had lunch with Yao Ming and he told him point blank that if he breaks his foot again then there is no way he is rehabbing again to play.

Yao Ming is done and has agreed to let the Rockets trade his contract knowing that he is done with basketball. Both him and Rockets staff just have to "say the right thing" now about him playing again in the future in order to get this deal done.

2 people like this.
  8. gah

gah Member

Great find. If Blinebury is right then we really can afford to be real agressive, I mean we are really going all-in this deadline if Yao is retiring.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So Sac is temporarily allowed to go below the min team payroll threshold to create that TPE?

Example....DPE for Francisco Garcia (putting Sac below min payroll)

then Yao to Sac for a 2nd

is that how a large TPE could be created? and is it legal under the rules?

#89 robbie380, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no rule that says you can't go under minimum team salary. You just get fined an amount equal to the difference of minimum and current salary, and the money goes to the players.

Look at it as a "soft cap" at both ends of the scale: maximum and minimum, where you just get fined for crossing the line...and I suppose the fine is calculated until end of fiscal year, like the luxury tax.

So, to the team owner, there is no difference. He could sign someone to play and pay him, or he could just pay the same in the amount of a fine.

1 person likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's hawt!

12. dobro1229

I think so too... If only his contract year was up last year then just imagine the kind of assets the Rockets could have gotten from players in the Lebron sweepstakes.

Either way though, if I am Morey I am saying I want a star in return but I would accept future picks and a large trade exception if thats what it came down to.

Anything that gets the franchise future picks, and potentially a serviceable future presence in the middle.

Right now, that is my ultimate goal if there are no superstars available, which there really aren't for the Rockets at least.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I got your point. I think you misunderstood me. Sure, Les might have dealings apart from the Rockets that are thanks to Yao. However, I have trouble believing two conclusions you want to imply:

1. Existing non-basketball business relationships will wither without Yao on the Rockets. I don't buy that. If Yao did help anything here, it would be getting Les' foot in the door. Chinese companies won't kill a profitable business relationship or sustain an unprofitable one over Yao.

2. Business relationships that depend on Yao's presence on the Rockets can be sustained even when Yao can't play. I don't buy that either. If there are any such relationships that demand Yao be in a Rockets' jersey, they won't be sticking around to watch Yao in a suit on the bench. That's just as bad as him sitting around in a suit on someone else's bench.

To whatever extent it existed, the Yao gravy-train is over. The money the league makes from China will be earned on the merit of the league (and maybe the next Chinese star to come over).

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

great, great, article. I never thought of this idea of TPE's myself.

I wouldn't actually do this, as I think nothing beats pure capspace. But it certainly is a viable idea.

My opinion on the direction of the Rockets would be, to trade for all 2012 players. Trade Yao for the likes of Antawn Jamison, Gerald Wallace, Andres Nocioni, Chris Kaman with our current expirings like Battier and Jefferies. While trading Yao to the Kings or whatever would be great, they are not going to accept it unless we give up a young player in the deal. Kinda like the Matt Harpring to OKC deal. OKC would not accept it unless Eric Maynor was being involved.

1 person likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is an interesting idea, trading for 2012 expirings.

I kind of like it.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont entirely agree with either of your points.

Although companies might not necessarily kill a profitable business relationship over severed ties with Yao, not having Yao may make forming new ones more difficult.

And to claim the Yao gravy-train is over is almost comical. The extent to which Yao continues to impact a variety of arenas is being overlooked. Just today, China’s State Council Information Office, or SCIO, released a Pro-China ad that will appear in Times Square in advance of President Hu Jintao's meeting in Washington with President Obama. It's going to be running continuously between now and Valentine's day. Although a number of people are featured in the ad, Yao is clearly the most distinctive and most recognizable face in the entire ad.

I agree that as time goes on, the league's interest in foreign markets wont be predicated on having representation from those regions, but in the interim, it relies heavily on stars from those regions to serve as ambassadors of the league/their teams, whether they are playing or not. And the Rockets and Les Morey do the same.

The bottom line is that as long as Yao can feasibly play, there's a strong argument for it being in the Rockets/Les' financial interest to keep him on the roster, and that in the event he chooses to retire, bring him on board within some consulting capacity.

17. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Yao for Francisco Garcia atleast a Center. I would like this trade since they are clearing cap space. and we could sign someone good this free agent season.

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Imagine the PR nightmare trying to convince the general fan base that trading Yao for a massive Trade Exception and a role player was the best available option.

That would be ugly even though he's been hurt as he's been the franchise "cornerstone" for 7+ seasons. It would be easier trading him for a known high paid all-star or young promising player. But not for an exception that may or may not be used.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, let's assume for the moment that we trade Yao to Sacramento and we get a substantial TPE of $17 million.

Now, this off season Sacramento decides they want Brooks and they are willing to give him $40 million over 5 years, but they don't want us to match so they decide to front load the contract and offer Brooks $12,541,812 first year salary followed by decreasing salaries the next 3 years. But they don't want the Rox to match so both Brooks and Sacramento come to the Rockets and ask them if they would be willing to work a trade for Brooks. Or.........one of Cleveland or Toronto comes to the Rox and wants to work a S&T for Brooks. And the Rockets ask them to structure Brooks' deal with $12,541,812 salary in the first year and give us a future first round pick. Now the Rockets have two TPE, enough in TPEs to take on both Paul and Okafor and take all that salary away from New Orleans. On top of that, throw in the pick they just traded for plus our 2011 pick plus a young talent or two. No team could match that deal to give N.O. mega salary relief plus rebuilding on the fly with young talent and picks.

1 person likes this.
  20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Trading Yao ... for nothing ... has bad karma written all over it. (What is the Chinese equivalent of "bad karma?") Just think, trading the Dream has given us nightmares ever since.