1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets sacrifice their future to get Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I know only one thing with absolute certainty: It'll be entertaining. Still not sure how I feel about this trade but I'm here for the ride either way.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I 100% agree with you Clutch....100% - it just reeks of desperation.

And honestly, Harden NEEDS someone that is going to call him out and get on him - so I liked that about CP3 in particular with Harden.

DD

Williamson, Jayzers_100 and BeBreezy like this.
  3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Both Harden and WB have a chip the size of a boulder on their shoulders. Imo, they will do whatever it takes to win a championship together.

Can't wait for the season to start. Haven't been this excited in a long time. I will make room on the bandwagon for the doubters, so it's all cool.

deb4rockets, SS0101, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is my hope and there is the benefit of Russ pushing the ball up.......faster - instead of the slow roll with Harden.

DD

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good observation and something that's not talked enough. While CP3 was a master at creating tempo, we were one of the slowest teams out there. The second factor in us being slow is the fact Harden does like to take his sweet time.

With WB being the best and fastest rim attacker from the pg position, likely of all time, the Rockets will benefit from some easy transition baskets.

I think the Rockets will have a different look this year. Instead of attempting 50 threes per game, we will mix it up with a more traditional style of offense.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I had to digest this trade a bit
    More and More .. . I like it .

It reminds me of the reverse of the TMAC Trade. . . .the Barkley trade - both of which I hated
    They both seemed lateral at best to me
    but
    They cost chemistry and cohesiveness

Neither every really fit . . on a chemistry level

Westbrook seems to build more chemistry with Harden than CP3 had
    I think they is more commonality . . . .we never had chemistry issues but
    I just feel like this will be different.

History being a predictor of the future. . .those 2024 and 2026 picks will be the 14th pick in the draft at worse
    PReHarden we had a team of try hards that were winning 43 games a year
    I don't think Morey will have a hard time duplicating that

If we stayed pat. . . . DaDa and friends would have been pissed
    so . . those fans would be pissed no matter what . . . . .so . . .. . .
    IF we won a championship they would be complaining that we should have swept instead of winning in 5
    if only MYGODIHATE Harden had played "The right way"

We will see Next May

Rocket River

glynch, JoeBarelyCares and Plowman like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Out of Curiousity . . ..
    What was the alternative?

Stay Pat? . . I was cool with it but dunno if it was better or worse . . .do you think that we win a championship this way? Try again next summer?

Butler didn't want to come here
    PG13 was married to Kawhi
    Kawhi had 2 teams on his list and we were not one of them
    KD had 2 teams on his list and we were not one of them
    Kyrie? Kemba? were those legit options?

If not this. . then what?

Rocket River

8. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Because a couple of late first rounders are going to save our future franchise? I don’t buy it.

glynch, Plowman and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Yea because picks always pan out

Hakeemtheking and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Westbrook for CP3 straight up, I would have considered... but throwing in 2 first rounders and 2 pick swaps... that's steep. For those claiming that those picks won't amount to anything... mid-round picks Kawhi and Giannis made instant impacts despite not meeting their potential right away. Rockets have done decent in scouting and coaching when picks were indeed available (pre-Mav Parsons, Capela, Morris). Westbrook won't be the unmitigated disaster that Melo was (and I predicted) because he actually rebounds and passes and gives effort... but it's a risk. Westbrook although healthy in recent years does have the wear and tear of a player that goes all out in all circumstances including a meniscus issue compliments of PBev.

11. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

I love the trade.....

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

James is about to go dumb.

Since he’s been on the rockets he’s never had another player that has the ability to suck in a defense like Russ driving to the rim. Or getting out and being a one man wrecking crew on the break.

And the with pj in the corner the amount of space will be new for Russ as well.

This is going to be fire.

Finally someone that can consistently create open looks for James almost singlehandedly.

SS0101, joshuaao and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. gogispade

gogispade Member

Nice article dude!

14. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Great comment

I don’t get the crying over Chris Paul.

What did he win in his career? He’s good, but what exactly is that he did in his career and time with Houston to elevate himself to untouchable status among the fan base and blog writers?

Oh he picked on Dragic? Dragic is a man and can defend himself

The Rockets sacrificed a future? What future?!?!?? Morey is a star chaser. He trades draft picks before breakfast.

Too much crying going on.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, I 100% agree with what Clutch says. Totally.

DaDakota, Jayzers_100 and smp like this.
  16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

If this works out will this be added to the podcast intro With the Robert Horry part?
    :)

I didn’t want Russ but I understand why we did it. Plus if the chemistry wasn’t with Paul and all those rumors were true. Plus a lot of Paul’s ex teammates kinda agree his gets on people. It was a good trade then. Why have a player that clashes with your main guy. That main guy that has carried the load and the team for so many years. He had no help last year, well Paul was just a shell of himself. I was wishing he was saving for the playoffs but he and Clint never showed up.

Yes Russ is a turnover machine and brick machine :p but he is younger and more athletic than Cp3. So who knows, but if Paul kept playing like last year we weren’t going anywhere and we wouldn’t have been able to move him.

So let’s see what we do and how they play. We won’t know until we see them play. Just like the other teams we won’t know until we see them play together.

s3ts likes this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The problem I have with the contingency of people that are CLEARLY against this trade is this: would you really be willing to go into NEXT off-season STILL with an aging 35 year old even more broken-down version of CP3 that you STILL owed over $80M to?? If CP3 had 1 or even 2 years left on his deal, I'd say ok....we can try and make that work. But as it stands, that contract was a MASSIVE albatross. I will say that I think stories of his demise are a bit over-the-top, but it can't be argued that he's greatly diminished as a player even in his short tenure here. Westbrook gives us an opportunity to maximize Harden's prime, prop the window open longer, and give Harden someone he actually ENJOYS playing with. Before we go all dark on this, how about we give it a chance first??

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. Very well said, @Clutch. You literally hit on every single thing that has me flipped out about this deal. The player, the cost, the fit. You hit on all cylinders. It has me searching for positives, doing some digging to see how we can make this work. Maybe we can squeeeze more out of the deal itself. @JoeBarelyCares, @aelliott, @justtxyank, and a couple of others have been suggesting that Morey use the "plus 25%" thingy to finagle a deal with a 3rd team brought into the trade. Like Minnesota for Covington. Saving the T-Puppies a ton of cash, getting a pick from us, and a TPE going to Minnie.

If we could manage that or something similar, without using Shump (which we could use for something else, or maybe later), the trade takes on a different light. Westbrook is terrific at finding guys behind the arc when he's driving to the basket. We need to take advantage of that and add at least one other reliable shooter from deep, preferably one who's also a good defender. Covington, if healthy, fits that description perfectly.

Like I said, trying to find positives. I still can't believe Morey made the deal. It doesn't seem like him at all. He had to have had pressure from above. @cyberx said that was the case, with the pressure from not only Tilman, but also from his son. Like you said, one has to wonder how much of this Daryl will put up with. He's walking a tightrope, apparently, with a Fertitta holding each end. I hope he doesn't fall off.

joshuaao, Deuce, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What about a set where Harden literally stands behind Russ. Like right behind him. Iike a qb under center. Close.

That way if teams try to back off Russ he just puts the ball behind him to Harden who has an uncontested 3.

This is weird but i don't see any flaws at all and it seems unstoppable and is probably the key to a Campionship formula

Deckard, joshuaao, T-2 and 2 others like this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen a single minute of them play yet besides OKC highlights from almost forever ago soooo.... hard to tell. The amount of draft picks we are donating are a little rough but I am hoping Morey can figure out a way around it.