1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets sacrifice their future to get Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

first! feel lucky:)

3. xaos

xaos Member

I'm at work

And work can wait until I'm done with this article

#3 xaos, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

leganzaro, Elephant810, Tfor3 and 7 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B-Bob, da_juice and Jayzers_100 like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BigMaloe, hakeem94, tinman and 16 others like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our future is now. We did exactly what we should have done...and it's not just for Russ.

Also,it WAS NOT a steep price. This is a great deal.

We've eliminated the downside risk of CP3's age/health/contract, while increasing the product on the court.

#7 Plowman, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Yep, the Rockets management and ownership went all in with the trade. If Westbrook can bring anything to the table it's his willingness to win, if he and Harden both wanted to play with each other they both should (reasonably) know they need to play EFFECTIVELY OFF THE BALL.

I think if this duo can coexist we might get some quality rotational players to sign with us next off season or come buy out time .

Harden's not stupid, he knows he'll only have a few more prime years left and if he doesn't get in a finals matchup soon he's going to demand a trade. Both Westbrook and Harden were able to win MVPs excelling at their own games individually, I won't bet against them to try to make this duo work.

CP3 has the game that compliments Harden but I really think Harden or Paul didn't respect each other enough to pick up their respective weaknesses . (Paul's lack of willingness to score and Harden's lack of consistent defensive effort)

9. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Interesting read Clutch. I don't think I'm quite as far out on the ledge as you seem to be, but clearly there is a large range of possibilities on both the positive and negative side for this move. Here's to hoping that two middle-aged superstars who haven't been able to win the big one arrive at camp more willing to compromise/change aspects of their games that they may have been more reticent to in the past in order to maximize their combined impact in their final few years before age takes it's effect.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vernon Maxwell Career
    TS%: .498
    eFG%: .462
    3FG%: .320

Russell Westbrook Career
    TS%: .529
    eFG%: .465
    3FG%: .308

It blows my mind how little some of you guys understand how wonderful this guy’s vision is. He is an elite, ALL-TIME passer. His sole weakness as a guard is that he CANNOT control TEMPO. Can you guess who one of the GOATs of tempo is?

James F’ing Harden!!!

Also, remember those defensive rebounding problems? Absolutely 100% wiped out. Why do you think OKC fans love Westbrook more than life itself? It ain’t just because he is athletic and plays hard every night, I can tell you that.

It is a surgical, beautiful combination of a backcourt.

Get hyped.

Sajan, dlite316, dragonwill and 21 others like this.
  11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Don't be surprised if WB got traded again next summer, or even sooner

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wanted to include this ditty from Kevin Pelton from his ESPN Trade Grade of this deal.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-westbrook-trade-grades-wins-blockbuster-deal

I suspect Morey's motivation is twofold. First, accumulating star talent is a hobbyhorse for Morey, and at this stage of their respective careers there's no question that Westbrook is a better talent than Paul. Over the past three seasons, Westbrook has produced nearly 20 more wins above replacement by my WARP metric than Paul thanks to a combination of superior durability (over that span, Westbrook has played nearly 50% more minutes) and playing a larger role in the Thunder's offense.

Second, Westbrook's contract has a far better chance of retaining positive trade value than Paul's. Had Houston simply wanted to trade Paul into a team's cap space to create additional salary-cap flexibility, it might have taken this many draft picks or more to accomplish. Meanwhile, Westbrook could probably be traded for positive value -- particularly once more teams have the ability to deal for him on Dec. 15, when most players signed this summer can be included. (Certain players who re-sign with their own teams cannot be traded until Jan. 15.)

Based on that logic,
    if Morey simply wanted to remove Paul's salary from the team's cap sheet altogether, laundering his salary through a Westbrook trade would probably be a better way to accomplish that goal.

Basically, Pelton says if things don't work with Russ in Houston, he feels the Rockets could *more easily* pivot away from Russ than they could from Paul. Morey thinks in multiple steps.

Plowman, Richie_Rich, Sajan and 27 others like this.
  14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Not if we're in position to win a title, that would be stupid.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

It hurts. It hurts y'all. You now have to root for Russell Westbrook. As a Rocket. :D

[​IMG]

It'll be OK.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've never seen such a polarizing trade. It has potential to be a masterpiece move or a complete bust. Can't wait to find out!

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

After reading this article

MOOD:

[​IMG]

Please Russ do a good job.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

First page.

Murray just secured his job for long time (in order to get out of this mess lol)

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Daryl has been GM since 2007 - if i'm not mistaken his kids are now grown and 13 seasons is a pretty long tenure to be with one franchise.

I don't know the man but I don't think he was ever planning on staying in Houston for that long, right? Seems like he's got at least one more stop on his NBA journey regardless of how the Rockets turn out - clearly he will have the ability to write his own ticket in terms of future spots. Probably somewhere in California, I'd assume, though I guess you couldn't rule out a return to the east coast.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Rockets contingency plan here if things go super south in 2 years or so and the window is shut is to send Harden off for a draft pick or 2. Obviously, Till-man has no sentimentality here - see Paul being shipped out of town by 2nd day air.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

“If this doesn’t work, it may be time to blow the whole thing up and recover as many picks as possible.”

For me, this is one of the good things about the trade. There’s a chance you can still get something for Westbrook a year or two from now if this gamble doesn’t pay off. Chris Paul was a sunk cost. You had to give up something to get away from the guy.

Sadly, I do think that the Chris Paul of several years ago was a better fit, but that guy isn’t around anymore and you only have peak James Harden for so much longer. Rolling with the same squad you had last year, in a dramatically improved conference, would have just been wasting time. They had to try something, and after missing out on free agency, what else was there to do that might have moved the needle? And if it doesn’t work, then blow the damn thing up!

burlesk, Corrosion, jsilencio and 2 others like this.