1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. Why this is viewed as a fate worse than death to some is beyond me. He plays an integral part on a great team.

2. naesoon

naesoon Member

Yes, Lin did not do well last night. Yes, Bev did GREAT last night. I enjoyed watching him play well, but it's not often that I think this way of him. I love his hustle, his story and his determination, but that's about it. He normally doesn't score much and have a good number of assists. As a fan of Lin, I was really disappointed last night, but also because I KNEW people would come out and use this game to really hate on him.

What's frustrating to most Lin fans is that we don't think he's an elite player and put him on the same level as Kobe, CP3, etc. (as many of you think), but when there is unfair treatment as to how he's used in the games (benching at the smallest mistakes, but keeping other starters in when they're screwing up or ineffective, benching him anyway even though he played well, etc.), that upsets us and angers others. There's been some rare occasions that McHale sat Harden out when he wasn't performing well and I would actually be impressed that he had the guts to do that. That's how rare this happens. same goes for Parsons. Oh, there has been a number of games where AB was clearly ineffective as well, but the coach chose to keep him in for unknown reasons.

Bev did great (last night), but how often do we see him score this much or play this well? Are you guys also saying that he doesn't get outplayed by the opposing PGs? It's so exaggerated about his defensive ability and there's been plenty of games where they had slow starts even when he was playing. When he screws up, he's kept in (and AB) no matter what. This goes for Harden and Parsons. You can't deny that this doesn't happen. There's been so many games where Harden caused the team to lose or when Parsons messes up on a play, that they're kept in. OF COURSE, when they're kept in for 35-40+ minutes, the ball will start falling in when you keep shooting it and when you know the coach won't yank you for missing.

That's where I'm coming from. I KNOW Lin has weaknesses and I have a pretty fair assessment of him when it comes to him. It just makes me question why many ROCKETS fans are out to criticize on everything he does. Just treat him the same as the other players and get the magnifying glass off of him. If you're going to criticize Lin, don't just focus on him as the main reason why games are lost.

3. luhbron

luhbron Member

Clutch just bukkaked all over the LOFs

3 people like this.
  4. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Are you actually wondering? I mean, the argument for paying Lin his contract for his basketball talents alone is somewhat tenuous now, but defendable. Back then? Less so.

But Morey/Les thought they were going to tank, and if you're tanking, you want butts in the seats still so you have revenue because at the end of the day, as much as we as fans care about the team on x level, management cares on y level...they are in it as a business and here to make money.

So yes, Lin was most likely a business decision along with a basketball one. Not just one or the other, if I had to put my money on it. I don't know why this notion is shocking or offensive to any group, or at least it shouldn't be...

5. alethios

alethios Member

On a related note, did anyone see the little clip at the end of the Rockets highlights on Inside the NBA last night? McHale was extremely happy to have Bev back. Don't read anything into that but it was interesting that Inside showed that clip.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real Clutch is always
    Member #1
    Since:1999

He works for Clutch City, Same place Dream works for

[​IMG]

7. Flippin

Flippin Member

"I love his hustle, his story and his determination, but that's about it."

What you wrote right tells me you have no idea what Beverley actually brings.

"What's frustrating to most Lin fans is that we don't think he's an elite player and put him on the same level as Kobe, CP3, etc."

If Lin is not elite then stop treating him like one and be civil about it and ask your fellow Lin fans to stop spewing racism and hate.

"unfair treatment as to how he's used in the games"

To Lin fans everything is unfair treatment. Every bball announcer/commentator who's not positive about Lin is unfair treatment. There's no such thing as fair treatment in LOF's dictionary so that argument is pointless.

1 person likes this.
  8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Lin has clearly been in a shooting slump recently, which can't help the numbers. That said, can't disagree with the article after watching the team with Bev back. They played better.

9. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Why people get their panties in a knot over who starts? So Bev is a good fit as starting PG, and Lin is most effective when coming off the bench. AB as insurance. What more can you ask for?

No need to trade anyone or change anything, our PG situation is good.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They don't know who those people are.

Let me try, Clutch went
    [​IMG]
    on them

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Lin should take control of the second unit, he fits better with the bench group

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do think it would be better to trade Lin and find a more complementary point guard to what we do. A guy who can deal with pressure defense and can apply pressure defense, doesn't turn the ball over, and moves better without the ball, and hits the 3 ball with confidence. I mean, that's why Bev starts over Lin - he's just a better fit for this team.

Lin may success as a back-up, but I'd have to imagine we can get a better back-up on the market for Lin's price tag. But right now we can't move Lin - so Lin has an opportunity over the course of at least the rest of this year to carve out a niche for him. I think McHale likes Lin (contrary to claims) and wants to see him succeed.

Lin does need to really accept his role and play with a lot more aggressiveness now. Intelligent aggressiveness - not the kind of trying to force things, but also not hesitating. It's something he seems to really struggle with.

As for LOF - I mean, you guys need to accept that Lin isn't this incredible point guard - he's a good player with strengths and flaws to his game. There's no campaign or racial bias going on here. I mean geez, it's so ridiculous is crazy that Clutch even has to mention that sort of stuff.

13. bongman

bongman Member

LOL. Even your video games are old school.

14. naesoon

naesoon Member

Umm..be civil about it? Where is the part in my write-up where I'm not being civil? Also, I don't speak for the other Lin fans that spew racism and hate and I really don't know what you're talking about on that part, but this tells me you're just throwing out some crazy accusations on Lin fans.

I'm not going to repeat my reasonings again since I already wrote it , but don't start clumping me with the other Lin fanatics out there.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

1) That was his opinion/comment on what he liked about Bev. Not sure how he can be wrong about what he likes about Bev...

2) Even though naesoon acts as if he's speaking for all LOFs, I assume you're aware that he's not actually their representative/agent and can't actually speak or act FOR them right? lol

3) Probably somewhat true, but I get naesoon's main point as well...fair treatment. What I find most laughable about this whole LOF vs. LOH debate (and by LOH, I use the term in its non-technical sense -- more like Lin-haters) is that both are extremely biased. One holds Lin up to lofty standards and treats him as blameless (while deflecting all blame to someone else) while the other holds Lin accountable for everything.

You can't fairly complain that LOFs are biased because they think every little thing is unfair to Lin, but then turn around and use every little thing to criticize Lin (btw, I used "you" in this paragraph in the general sense, not specifically directed toward you).

I like Lin as a player and how he presents himself as a person, but I'm not so infatuated with him that I could care whether he starts or gets traded. I agree with Clutch that Lin is better off the bench than as a starter with the current Rockets roster. That being said, I also believe Lin, due to Linsanity, has unreasonable expectations tied to him. People hold him up high but also, because of this, enjoy tearing him down. If I knew him irl, I would feel really bad for him because he's only given 110% effort and tries his best, yet gets used as a tool for both LOFs and LHs. It's like the child victim in a messy divorce lol, man...

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

i literally spit out my drink at work right now haahahahahaha

17. Flippin

Flippin Member

Well said!

"As for LOF - I mean, you guys need to accept that Lin isn't this incredible point guard."

The problem is they don't and want to accept that. When you present them with facts, they shoot back with hate and racist tirades. It's extremely difficult to chat with them sensibly and intelligently.

18. jackycool

jackycool Member

i think everyone here regardless of who you root for knows that Beverley in the starting lineup is a better fit and an easier fix than Lin. I still think a Lin and Harden backcourt can still be something special but the team is in win now mode and does not have Linn time to develop it which makes sense. Lin is the better player and has more potential but he's still pretty raw and woefully inconsistent and Beverley knows his role to a tee.

However, it does seem that the coaches have no idea what kind of a player Lin needs to be for this team. His role seems to change every week it seems from being a score first PG one minute to a facilitator the next. I have no problem with him being the 6th man but if he is to come off the bench then keep him there and make sure his role is constant and his minutes are at least somewhat consistent.

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Reality check.

It's pretty evident that Beverley is the better fit in the starting lineup.

20. monk92

monk92 Member

I think most objective fans thought Bev starting put us in a better position to win before he broke his hand. After last night it's pretty clear that he just fits better with the starting 5.

I'm surprised the discussion has been as civil as it is in a thread like this. I guess I'll have to check back later once the high school kids get home and see this, seeing as they probably comprise a good 75% of the LOF fanbase

1 person likes this.