1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

With Aaron Brooks due back any game now, there won't be any Ish minutes to have. It's going to have to come out of Martin/Lee or Battier/Bud's minutes if he sees the floor.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, but the pick is lottery protected, which changes the entire dynamic, in my opinion.

4. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I like that Morey has enough confidence in our locker room and coaching staff that he thinks we can make something out of these players that are underpreforming on other squads. As Calvin Murphy would often say not all players are for all teams. But, I think the main reason we were able to turn it around over the last few games is due to the execution of the starting squad. It is still a huge if whether Williams will be able to grasp the offense quickly or even our defensive rotation (which is what killed us over the first twenty games).

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

From watching his highlight mix, his game reminds me somewhat of SF3. He's not that quick with his drives, but sort of bulls is way to the basket ala the Francis running back style.

SF3 was also a rebound and assist guy.

I really like the idea of playing him at the 2 more than the 3. I know that Morey wanted the Martin-Yao dream FT-generating team, but that doesn't look like it's ever going to happen.

If you paired TWill with AB, it brings size and balance to the backcourt. From the looks of it, Twill is the better playmaker.

Could he guard the nightmare match-ups for us like Deron Williams?

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Didn't Morey say an inability to play defense will get you shipped out? And is it not like Budinger is the worst defender in the nba?

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

budinger is white and can dunk, so he gets a pass.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

1. It will be in 15-20 range. Rockets won't be in top10 suddenly.
    2. Rockets can not trade future 1st round pick before 2017 unless they complete the trade by sending them a non lottery pick, i.e. going into playoffs.
    Hope this wont kill future vital moves.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has shown flashes of improvement but clearly the year as his shot struggled the rest of his game did too.

Still the last 2 have been really good, let's hope he is out of his slump, and will get better from here.

If not, TWill is waiting to take his spot....nothing wrong with good old competition at a spot.

DD

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where's the 4 million cash coming from?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think we paid about $3 million for the Taylor pick and we gave Sacremento some cash to take Taylor too....maybe there?

DD

12. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

$2.5M+JT's salary. We paid him watching the games.

If Les did not buy this pick from the beginning, he could have saved $4 million.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Why do you care? It's not your money.

Les is running a business. Like all businesses decisions are taken on with risk. Not every decision works out, and you lose money on those.

How many projects have companies canned after spending several million dollars on R&D?

It's the cost of doing business and anything spent to date is sunk cost, meaning you can't get it back no matter what future decision you make.

15. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

They took a gamble and it didn't work out. So what? You act as the money Les spent on acquiring JT is taking up massive cap space. It was a low risk high reward move. If anything it proves that Les isn't cheap.

16. Coca Cola Scola

Good point. I looked at him in the videos and he's built like a tank.

Yeah, I think the one or two missing inches is offset by the fact that he looks like he can leap tall buildings. I found this clutch fans article very fascinating...surprised it went up so fast. Are the coaches able to teach this guy how to shoot? There have been players who came into the league not able to shoot and somehow become flame-throwers.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Fair point about the money invested into Taylor (the draft pick and the player).

But who would you have waived to make room for Williams? You probably wouldn't have waived Ish, just because of Brooks's injury status.

The Taylor trade--even for nothing--netted the Rockets a profit over just waiving him outright. The salary and luxury tax obligations avoided by trading him rather than waiving him were obviously in excess of the cash paid to Sacramento.

The Taylor trade was a win-win for both teams. And the Rockets now have a better player on their roster who is also most likely better than any player they could have drafted outside of the lottery in 2012 and beyond.

Morey himself acknowledged that he had Williams in the top 10 on his 2009 draft board. I believe he even said it when New Jersey picked him at the time, so he had no reason to "spin" that comment.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Shooters tend to be classified into two categories on a fundamental basis; those with good depth perception and are able to inherently make minute adjustments when off balance and those who don't have great depth perception, but make up for it with muscle memory through countless of hours of practice. Hakeem, for example, was a poor shooter in college and his first couple of years in the NBA. He became a pretty damn good midrange shooter. Jordan's shot was not that good either, but as he aged, he developed a shot to add versatility to compensate for declining athleticism. Kobe is also similar; in some of his early seasons, he shot slightly better than Lowry.

For a lot of people shooting can be developed through hard practice. I remember reading about how Larry Bird would take thousands of shots in his shooting drills to keep that motion ingrained into his body.

19. Spankie

Spankie Member

Trevor Ariza 2.0?? :eek:

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Trevor Ariza can't dribble or pass like T-Will. Completely different bodies as well.