1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Terrence Jones makes his Rockets' rotation debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I'd like to see how this looks as well. McHale should experiment since we definitely don't have any rhythm right now anyhow. It should be easy to work in some minutes for DMo while he is starting the TT lineup, and he would give the team another offensive option, which it needs when the threes aren't falling.

If DMo holds his own, then it makes it that much easier to trade Asik for a legit stretch 4. We would need to pick up a situational defensive big in the transaction, though.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

was watching nba game time and dude pointed out "no back side help"? when raptor player did the wrap around dunk. Asia was just standing there waiting in rebound. Jones can give you that help and showed last night he can guard at SF. Dmo should get some mins here and there also when we need more scoring on the floor.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Hopefully we can open the rotation up to 9 players now.

4. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Dmo is the best post player we have, baffles me how we don't put him in when we are struggling to score.

5. nirianto

nirianto Member

+1. I would rather see Dmo and his post moves than Dwight but to be fair the whole team played great defense last night, we just need to work on cutting down on the turnovers and play better PnR offense. I don't know why but it seems that we always trying to make a complicated play during crunch time, I guess this is expected from a young developing team.

6. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

He occasionally shoots a 3.

7. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

TJones is perfect out there with Dwight/Harden/Lin/Parsons because TJ doesn't require shots or take shots away from the other four guys - he gets his points off of rebounds, loose balls and finishing off penetration at the rim, as well as free throws. Being garbageman is his game, and we need another brute force guy working down low with Howard.

8. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Plus, on Defense he's willing and able to run out and guard guys on the perimeter if need be - something Asik doesn't excel at.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

good post

10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

IMO we should start TJ and keep Asik as backup center. We don't even need to trade anybody and everything would be perfect after some adjustment period.

I see star potential in TJ.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

While Asik is still on the roster? That would be damn r****ded, no offense DD.

As for Jones, he's probably better playing alongside Dwight than Omer is... but he's not the answer. IMO right now he has too many holes in his game to be more than a 9th man type player.

We need to trade for a legit starting PF.

12. yummyhawtsauce

I like Jones, hope he stays on. Good team player - gets excited.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He sure has his flaws. He is only the youngest player on our roster.
    But IMO he did not display many of them last game.

He did a very good job defensively, fulfilled his task, did not take away many touches from other guys offensively.

He might have some lapses but that is quite normal playing 32 minutes all of a sudden without much PT before.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

People crediting McHale for playing Jones, seriously? Jones would not have a sniff if Francisco was fit. He should have been in the rotation from day 1. Too bad we get to see him this late.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Great game by Jones. Only question is... can he put back to back games together and show that he can be that guy on a consistent basis? The Raptors ran a pretty basic offense last night. When they play a team with more movement and scheme, will he be able to not get lost on defense?

-With D-Mo, I think his destiny is at the center position, and with this team its going to be as a backup center in an offensive heavy lineup. I think he can destroy lots of backup centers offensively in the post, and playing the center position makes the understanding of defensive schemes much easier on a young player who struggles coming out on shooters, and rotating to the weak side.

-The Asik situation will become a little more blatantly awkward the next few weeks, but moving him to the bench and eventually trading him is something that has to happen for this team to move forward. Maybe now knowing that Asik is truly on the market will actually increase his trade value with teams possibly bidding to get him. My only question here is what direction will Morey take with the players or assets he gets back in the deal? Will he do a Lowry type of flip where he gets some really good draft picks or is he only looking for an established starter in the deal?

My guess is he opts for being patient to wait for an established player. Seeing as how the Rockets will need salary to make any deal work for a big name player, it might be worth it to skip the draft pick trades even though those assets might be more valuable on the open market than Asik himself.

However this I know- The sooner it can happen, the better it will be for all parties involved. Asik deserves a starting role, and like most Morey trades, the Rockets should be a much improved team after the deal.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

A lot of people may not notice this, but Jones is actually quite tall, at 6'8.25 without shoes he's basically less than an inch shorter than Dwight. So really when we have him on the floor we have another Twin Tower lineup...2 inches shorter than the Asik/DH pairing, but a heck of a whole lot more mobile.

Personally, if Mchale ends up shelving the TT lineup I hope he sticks with Jones/DMo instead of a stretch 4 like Parsons or Casspi. Cs with a stretch 4 fail in the playoffs, at least Dmo/Jones have the size to reb and defend the more elite big men of the other teams.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"No, it's better to play our main guys 40 mpg in regulation so that they're broken down and beyond repair by the time the playoffs get here."

---what Kevin McHale really thinks
    "The Clutchfans Almanac", 3rd McHale edition

Hopefully there will not be a 4th edition.

Yes, I think they call it "numb-chucks", a variation of "nunchucks" in which the team's wings chuck away, bludgeoning the backboard until it "goes numb".

#37 ROXTXIA, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He played great. Keep giving him minutes. The path to follow will be clear before the trade deadline.

If Jones is the answer, and he may be, where would we get a better back-up center than Asik? Jones is not a center. Absolutely only trade Asik for an All Star.

Jones/ Casspi for pf and even Asik at times. Depends on the match up

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

RIP Twin Towers.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Give T-Jones a lot of credit, he played very well.

He didn't jack up those brick or make type 3s, which helped him stay on the court.