1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Sergio Llull to Houston? Not this year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This season he shot below 40% from the field. First time in over a decade. The season before that he played less than 10 games.

In his last playoffs, this dude shot 27% from the field.

This is like Morey going after Melo for years, and then finally getting him, only to find out that he is a complete dud......

...rerun, but in Spanish this time.

Which would also explain why he would want to come here now. One last big paycheck knowing full well your body is breaking.

Doubt me? Just listen to his agent.."We never closed the door..." lol

clos4life and napalm06 like this.
  2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

You're thinking of Rockets legend Lior Eliyahu

saleem and Rox11 like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Actually didn't know he shooted so bad this season...and it happened after his knee injury so, kinda scary tbh.

Regardless, we have no way to pay him, between House, Faried, Rivers, eventual 2nd round pick/s or free agents, i just don't think there'll be money left for him if not the minimum or the BAE (if we can use that next season, can't remember if we used that this season).

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yes :D:D:D

saleem likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just fwiw...according to Marca Real Madrid reached a deal to get the current MVP of the spanish league, which plays in the same position of Llull. Not sure if this means something tbh, probably not, but Real already had another point guard on the roster (Campazzo).

I also randomly found this, it's a short interview of Llull in March, not sure if it was already posted but, two questions about his future:

Q: Where do you see your future? Will it be in Spain or in the NBA?

A: I do not think about the future, only about the present. My present is here, in Real Madrid and my goal is to fight for the two remaining titles, the Euroleague and the Spanish League. We’ll see what the future holds.

Q: Did you know that your agent (Ernest Berenguer) said that you prefer to be more of a protagonist in Europe, even if this means receiving less money than in the NBA and in Houston?

A: I do not know, I have not read this statement. I cannot talk about something I don’t know. I feel very well in Madrid. I am happy to be able to help the team.

Deuce, don grahamleone and mikol13 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Indeed, the Rockets have thought so since they acquired his draft rights from Denver in 2009 for $2.5 million—then a record payment for a second-rounder. Houston was convinced it found a rarity: an unconventional European guard with championship experience who fit seamlessly into the franchise's uptempo, analytics-based offense.

"We've been trying to get him to come over for almost 10 years," Houston director of global scouting Marko Radovanovic says. "Three years ago, we were in serious talks. He could have been our starter."

Yet, Llull remains in Spain.

"He'll kill me for saying so, but I don't understand it at all," says Joe Arlauckas, the former Sacramento Kings and Real Madrid forward-turned-broadcaster for Euroleague TV. "He had it all lined up with Houston. Everyone makes their own decisions, but when it's all over, he might wonder. Because he had the skills. I was disappointed, but they love him [in Spain] for staying."

Life decisions contain layers. The answer to why Llull has never made the trip to the NBA is a complicated intertwining of national pride, comfort, family priorities, flashes of self-doubt and the pull of Euroleague immortality.

When the Rockets acquired Llull's draft rights in 2009, they made a bet for their future. Years of overseas seasoning and negotiation were expected, but, in Llull, Houston spotted a player who fit the future NBA well before anyone else. His slash-and-shoot style—plus a near-40 percent three-point shooting mark—signaled his maturation would parallel the evolving NBA.

"Llull is a perfect fit for our system," Radovanovic says. "He speeds up the game; he sparks up the entire team. Obviously, some things have changed. But our philosophy is to never give up. He could carve out a role. He would be a great spark off the bench."

In 2015, following a Western Conference Finals loss to Golden State, Houston found itself in need of a starting point guard and secondary shot creator to play alongside James Harden. General manager Daryl Morey believed Llull could be the man. So Llull and his wife, Almudena Canovas, visited Houston—still Llull's only trip to the States—to get a sense of what life would be like as a Rocket. According to those close to him, the couple preferred to raise their young daughter at home in Spain rather than uproot the family.

The years since have seen the Rockets try repeatedly to find the complement they once felt Llull could be, from adding Lou Williams to trading for Chris Paul to swapping Paul for Russell Westbrook. While the moves have helped Harden thrive, could the Rockets have created the same effect with a lot less drama had Llull joined the team? "He's so damn explosive; he definitely could have been a difference-maker before his injury," Arlauckas says, referring to a torn ACL Llull suffered in his right knee in August 2017. "Sometimes he looks so out of control, but he's still under control. I've never seen anyone play like him."

"He really wants to make history in Madrid," says Hornets center and Llull's Spanish national teammate Willy Hernangomez. "But deep in his heart, I think he will really miss not playing in the NBA. He knows that he could have done it."

Still, Radovanovic believes there's a place for the veteran in Houston, which checks in with Llull regularly to see if he's changed his mind. "At this point, it would have to be more of a role-player deal," Radovanovic says. "Like a Pablo Prigioni-type deal. Sergio is 32 and making good money over there, but we would love to have him carve out a role."

Others aren't so sure.

"He could have been a longtime role player on very good NBA teams," Fraschilla says. "But, at this point, I doubt we'll ever see Sergio Llull in the NBA."

Anecdotally, the evidence suggests Llull is not itching to make the case that he should be in the U.S. Multiple requests to speak to Llull in Spain were rebuffed.

D-rock likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there's always that guy who relishes being king of the scrubs on the B courts but too scurred to come play real comp on the A courts

marky :), D-rock, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You know, if you had asked me several years ago about this, I would have called Llull a weak ass for not wanting to try his hand at being a star in the NBA. But now I'm 37, have life experience, have a child on the way.....I think it takes real manhood to put all the chatter to the side and simply do what's best for your family. Yes, he might always wonder what could have been if he had come over to the NBA, but one thing he'll never wonder about is the happiness of his family.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah he took one look at the city and said, nope.

If NY or LA had his rights he'd have been here by now.

I don't blame him either.

clos4life and BallaDoc like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree. And people will not like your comment although it’s probably true.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Much like jock itch, this dude and this thread keep showing up once or twice a year.

The GARM needs some Cruex or Lotrimin.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Maybe he doesn't like America in general. To a foreigner with no attachment or knowledge America seems absurd to them.

BallaDoc and D-rock like this.
  13. macan

macan Member

so do we call him a Rockets legend or not?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bball
    family
    friends
    $

females

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so, can we finally trade the rights to Llull, now?

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

I say we give it one more try.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Let’s just say he believes that, then why not force a trade to the destination of choice. Very doable.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because he’s happy where he is and the Rockets weren’t going to give up their chase for him to play here. Houston wouldn’t have a reason to trade him just because. They own his rights and if they though he was great why would they help make another team better?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Or lose face by admitting $2,000,000 got flushed like a turd on acquiring the pick that netted us a player who said, "Houston? Do they give me scuba gear so I can get into my house?"

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

11 years man, I remember making him and adding him to our team in association mode on 2k12. Breh was solid.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.