1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Saying goodbye to Adelman feels like the right move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

How when it was Les' move also

2. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Are you kidding me...let's not make up facts here!!!

Popovich - Fired what's his name after Duncan came on board with the Admiral.
    Van Gundy - if you're talking about Stan....What rebuilding?
    Sloan - Plz....
    Rivers...what rebuilding...they were a bunch of losers until Ainge made the gutsy move to trade for the big 3. Morey wouldn't have the balls to do it.
    Brooks - Plz...he hasn't proven anything yet in the playoffs

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is your speculation. Adelman was never quoted to say that. And that's not what Clutch says in his article.

Let me summarize Clutch's reasoning:
    This team doesn't fit Adelman's interest anymore because we lost two superstars. This is similar to why Artest didn't re-sign with the Rockets. Bottom line: Adelman wants to coach a contender and the Rockets aren't one.

Yet, if the Rockets were clearly not a contender, why would Adelman even try to talk to Morey in hope of working out a come back?

Your answer is that Adelman thinks the Rockets are closer to contending than Morey does. That may by true, but there's no evidence to show it. Not even Clutch. The only reason I've been hearing repeatedly is that Adelman just wanted to win games, and not the big one. But that just flies in the face of Clutch's reasoning mentioned above.

And at the end of the article, it pitches Adelman's "win-now" against the organization's "win-big". So does Adelman want to win now or win big?

4. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Wow...so the owner and GM just said our team sucks, they fired a HOF coach because he was too good and expensive...what is there to wait.

We almost made the playoffs with no talent, we have the cap room, we have a HOF coach, so why wait....why not win NOW and PAID for a superstar!!!

5. thejav

thejav Member

so u would rather the GM lie to us?? lol

6. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Obviously Adelman wants to "win-big" and there's absolutely no reason why Rockets can win big next year. We have the cap room to bring in a superstar.

Show me stats where winning big has to start with rebuilding. That's a total Morey BS! Morey can't do what great GM do...and that's finding the missing piece of a championship team. He has no Basketball IQ to do it.

7. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Which team in the league has won using moneyball? Since so many of y'all have been convinced this will bring a championship

8. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

The job of the GM is find the missing piece of a championship team...like getting Pau Gasol for the Lakers...Horace Grant for the Bulls...Ginobili for the Spurs.

Winning big is not about stats...it's about team ball. Something Morey have no clues on.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The problem is he should've been held accountable 4 years ago. Stop making excuses

10. lalala902102001

I'm OK with Adelman firing if the team goes into full rebuilding mode. That means aquiring draft picks and shedding contracts and probably in the process have a losing season. If that's what we are going to do we don't need RA here. However, if we still try to put a mediocre team on the floor and compete for the last playoffs spot next season (and likely fall short again), I have a big problem with showing Adelman the door.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Goodbye Ruler

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VastXQ_hPb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

great article clutch how ever I have to respectfully disagree even though you put it as well as anyone could.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow, I actually feel much better after reading this. You're right, we may not win now, but if this sets the Rockets up to win big and consistently, then I'm on board.

I just hope the rebuild doesn't take much longer. The roster has glaring holes, but also has some very nice pieces. I think I'd be disappointed with a complete roster overhaul ( not that that is the plan)

Good luck to RA, he did a great job under the circumstances, but if he and the team were that far off, I agree it's time for change.

The front office seems to love how the Spurs built their team, so I'd say Budenholzer will get a very long look.

14. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I totally agree!

Today, we don't have the assets that brought adelman to Houston originally!

IMHO, we have so many good pieces that we MUST trade up in the draft. We need a chuck hayes in a 6'11" frame.

We need a centerpiece like nothing else!

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

This organization was fair to RA IMHO. They didn't just cut throat and threw him to the dogs. He did his time, got paid as promised and the deal is closed. If the speculations are true about his beef with Morey and/or Les, this makes it even a better reason to think that this is a classy org. Some other teams would just cut a head coach the next day, now that's some shady stuff.

The team has not sniffed the playoffs for two years. I would say that we have already began to rebuild surely but slowly. The fact that this team is still fun to watch and isn't a laughing stock is respectable.

I will never expect the Rockets to get down to the levels of the Sac kings, warriors, and pistons of this league. I feel that we have too good of a FO to let that happen and they are building on the fly.

This year was good, but not good enough. Changes still needed to happen, this is just the first for this offseason.

16. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Adelman discovered really early that he didn't want to coach McGrady because McGrady wasn't willing to run the curl and play off the ball. Adelman stayed 4 years for the opportunity to coach Yao.

My point is.......ONE SUPESTAR in Adelman's system would have been a championship calibar team.

18. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I agree, but I think Adelman would have been finding building a 2004 Pistons type of team that 'won the right way' - playing unselfishly. That championship team had no true superstar. I agree that he had issues with TMac, and he doesn't have patience for ball stopping and/or low-IQ players (see T-Will as exhibit A, and Thabeet as exhibit B). Adelman (and many of us) would have been happier if we'd found a way to get a rim protecting big to back up Yao over the past two years. That would have made a huge difference.

Personally watching Adelman's offense the past 4 years after JVG's term was a breath of fresh air. I hope we never go back to JVG and his stone age offense.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Kudos for having an opinion and sticking to it. That's about all I can give you.

Clearly you love Morey and write with Morey colored glasses.

But let's be clear about something else.

Make no mistake about it this was not some brave Morey move.

This was not about throwing caution to the wind and not worrying about ticket sales and doing the right thing.

This was not done out of some "use my analytics" dispute. Adelman has his own coaching style that blows analytics away.

This was not done out of some idea this is better for the future. Adelman developed, Brooks, Lowry, Patterson, and even Hill to a degree and has a career history of doing that better than most.

This was not done because there was better coach on the market. Adelman is head and shoulders better anyone else that is available right now.

Let's be honest here. This is all about primadona, sockless, decendant slave owner Les Alexander. It was another Les says I don't like the way you play so I am taking my toys back. Yes because they are his toys and it is his right. But don't try to sugarcoat it.

The writing was on the wall long before the season started. I watched Les get up and leave in the middle of a preseason game because Adelman decided to play all of Yao's 12 minutes in the first half. He was later instructed he had to play Yao 6 minutes in the first half anf 6 minutes in the second. What a stupid idotic thing to say. Maybe they were right it took only minutes for Yao to injure his foot after 72 hours rest.

Okay enough of my ranting. I am not totally against replacing Adelman. I think Les would have like us to tank this year. It was the perfect time. Yao was out and we got off to a terrible start. Brooks was injured and Miller and Hill weren't cutting it as starting centers. I would have hated it but right about now if I had a top six pick I would be loving me some Biyombo.

So I get that. It was one of the toughest seasons I've gone through as a Rockets fan and coming out with a high lottery pick would have helped. But don't blame the coach for winning. Look at that offense. How it gels. With Tmac and Yao, with francis and Mobley never has it looked so pretty. We never had a go to guy not really and we never had defensive presence. Not really and we still stayed tough in most games. What was so frustrating is we played so many close games and almost lost all of them. But we should have lost all of them . Those teams were better than us. Whats amazing is that we were in so many of them.

I am not saying Adelman is not without fault. But not playing T-Will or Thabeet was not the fault. Those guys are crap. T-Will is the biggest fool's gold I ever saw. He has amazing talent but has no desire to play in a system. I thought Jermaine Taylor was bad. Boy how I wish T-Will had half the smarts of taylor to give in that much. As for Thabeet. He sucked in the Dleague this year. Need I say more. But still I felt Adelman sticks with his starters longer than he should. Bud was sucking up the floor for a longtime and Adelman never swayed. The result was a better Bud but I felt it cost us a few games. The same thing can be said for Brooks Battier.

I hated this season but I walked away proud of this team and ready to reload and give Adelman one more year. But Les said okay he can come back but he has to do radio and do media events and were Rocket red underwear while he blows me. Make no mistake about it this was not about Morey and doing the right thing. Les put him out to be the fall guy. But this was about Les and doing the rich owner spoiled brat it's my way or the highway thing.

My hope is that he at least keeps Sikma and Adelman's offense. I think Morey has some great ideas but the way Adelman's offense runs is not about analytics it is the opposite. look for the weakness on the court as it happens and exploit. If they are going to leave Martin than get it to martin. We have something offensively and without having one shotblocker I would say we have something defensively too. Wait and see if Yao comes back. Give this team a shotblocker (Thabeet doesn't count) and a legitimate starting 3 and the Rockets could go places next year. The right thing to do would give Adelman one more shot. But It's Les' team he calls the shots and he is not the worst owner so let us see what he does next. The clock is ticking.

#139 Old Man Rock, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    3 people like this.
  20. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Exactly right!