1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Ryan Anderson could cost the Rockets over $100M next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 29, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe
    Cleveland receives - Ego and Anderson and a Number one. . . . Honestly I would throw in Capela

Capela, Anderson, and Ego or Trev plus picks for LeBron is worth it

Rocket River

2. hakeemthagreat

At what expense do you trot Anderson out there? This game was 100% about match ups. Anderson being a defensive liability is a understatement. I'd rather Luc play or Joe Johnson cover Anderson's minutes. Luc at 70% is still better defensively than Anderson, as well as JJ. Everybody KNEW what Golden State would do if Anderson got out there, and they did exactly that. No reason Anderson should've been allowed out there

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Did anyone else catch that moment in the pre-game broadcast on TNT when they showed the Rockets huddling up in the tunnel? I was shocked to see none other than Ryan Anderson addressing the other players in an animated way. It was weird seeing someone who has given us almost literally NOTHING in the playoffs, seemingly involved and right in the middle of things.

I would have been all "Hit a shot or two, then you can talk AFTER the game. For now, STFU. Pregame huddles are for ballers only."

4. blackistan

blackistan Member

Possibly the biggest mistake of Morey's career I assume

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pretty sure Morey would agree with you right now.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and dcfma like this.
  6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

There's no way to keep Ariza and sign LeBron unless Ariza signs a ridiculous vet minimum deal.

We need a true back up point guard if CP3 is re-signed to a max deal. He's gonna miss 15-20 games a year. That was more important than signing JJ and Wright after buy outs. That was my main gripe, Jameer Nelson would have been the much better pickup knowing CP3 could go down at any moment.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey tried to get Jameer TWICE and was turned down. What do you want him to do? Jameer Nelson was trying to establish value to get a contract this coming offseason, he had zero interest in being a spare part backup here.

slothy420 and buffalobills!!! like this.
  8. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Ohh we know we had to move him and we don't have time to develop low pick rookies when we trying to win a chip or bust so throw 2 1st round picks with him....

9. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

The honorable thing to do would be to admit you are not worth the money and willingly restructure your contract. In the end, this will make him more happy because
    1. He would have less responsibility, expectations & stress
    2. He would be the "Good Teammate" taking one for the team
    3. He would gain good will from the organization, his teammates, & the fans
    4. Mo Money = Mo Problems Therefore Lo Money = Lo Problems

Why are Superstars the only ones that have to take less money to make a team better?

slothy420 and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

We tried to sign Jameer, he wasn't interested if I remember due to him wanting a more significant role...
    But you are right, not having a backup PG really bit us in the A$$....Harden's legs were totally gone once CP3 was out..

buffalobills!!! and forchette49 like this.
  11. Mr. Space City

"somebody tell ryan anderosn, we want our money back"

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I think the way the CBA is structured is stupid. Avg players shouldn't be getting guaranteed money like this. If the Kings wanted to pay him 80 million dollars, we should have let them. It isn't as if last years team was going to compete with the Warriors any way. We could have signed another guy for half the price if not cheaper that could shoot threes at a 35 percent clip. I even thought at the time it was an awful move for such a one dimensional player and a year later it's even worse than I thought it would be...

darksoul35 likes this.
  13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Fixed :)

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Might as well stretch Ryno and save the trade assets we dont really have anyway.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I missed that, but yeah, Ryno should have absolutely nothing to say.

3rd highest paid player on the team but giving the team absolutely nothing...

topfive likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

The good news is that two years of his contract are gone, still super negative value but, he'll be expiring in one year. And maybe we can trade cash to help the team which will eventually take him (hi Dan).

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's amazing how there are still numerous people who cannot separate who to blame for (1) the money involved in a player's contract, (2) the player's ability to play, and (3) the PT the player get.

(1) is the GM's job.
    (2) is the player's job.
    (3) is the coach's job.

I guess it is far easier to lump all the hate on one single person.

Os Trigonum and topfive like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Until these playoffs, I've been in Ryan's corner to some extent. Even when his contract sunk any hope of getting Melo. Ryan technically isn't getting superstar money; he's the 41st highest-paid player in the league this year, behind guys like Gallinari, Batum and Parsons. Obviously, he's still overpaid by a buttload considering what he brings, but I've always been one of those "pro athletes have to get what they can while they can" kind of guys. The situation sucked for the team, but it was what it was, y'know?

HOWEVER...

During these playoffs he's given us nothing. NOTHING AT ALL. I don't care if you're all butthurt about losing your starting role when you were out with an injury. If you can't man up and work your way back into the rotation, then you lose my respect. MDA kept giving him now-and-then chances to show he was ready to produce, and Ryan just flat-out refused to shoot semi-open 3s -- the only reason we signed him to that huge contract to begin with.

Used to like the guy, but his dropoff in production contributed heavily to us not being in the finals. A few more points here and there, a few more 3s to keep the defense honest, and a few fewer minutes played by the guys who were actually balling... that **** would've added up and had some impact.

Unfortunately, we got nothing from him.

Things like this make me long for NFL-type contracts where we can simply release a guy who's not performing, getting him off the roster and his salary off the books.

19. macan

macan Member

we may need to give out another pick in order to remove ryno...
    his trade value is at all time low right now..

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Silly on Nelson's part, could have had a ring instead. He might be the perfect cheap, backup PG for us. Reminds me of a PJ Tucker type player...

buffalobills!!! likes this.